[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 98 KB, 353x500, Tolstoy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2758724 No.2758724 [Reply] [Original]

About to go into town and buy War and Peace.

What does /lit/ think is the best translation to buy?

Pic related: it's the only colour photograph of Tolstoy

>> No.2758733

I haven't actually read it myself, but a friend told me that the Penguin Classics translation is better than the Pevear and Volokhonsky one.

>> No.2758746

cool, thanks

>> No.2758764

What is up with the different versions about War and Peace? I've seen a few, and one of them had a different ending, plus that it was a few hundred pages shorter than the version I read. I know Tolstoy rewrote the whole department over a few times (and later came to a conclusion that the whole shit shouldn't have been written in the first place at all), but I have never really seen any breakdown about what versions have been translated or are generally available.

>> No.2758775

OP here. Pretty sick site I just found.

Just type in 'best war and peace translation' on google and the first link is really good.

>> No.2758780

I don't know if this is in print any more. If you go to a local store you might find it; big book chains won't though.

I picked up the Modern Library edition of Anna Karenina and War and Peace for a buck each. They were heavily used and published in the 50s, but the translations have been among the best I've read.

>> No.2758787

I'd order it online from Penguin if I were you.

>> No.2758813

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/R1IK42CKUHYV9V/ref=cm_sylt_byauthor_title_full_