[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 254x385, thomas-carlyle-1-sized.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2748065 No.2748065 [Reply] [Original]

Last book you read, currently reading, next book you're going to read.

>Last book
The Kreutzer Sonata - Tolstoy

>Current book
The Great Railway Bazaar - Paul Theroux

>Next book
Essays - Thomas Carlyle

>> No.2748075

>Last book
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Joyce)

>Current book
2666 (Bolano)

>Next book
The Pale King (Wallace)

>> No.2748073

>Last book
American Gods - Neil Gaiman

>Current book
Notes from Underground; The Double - Dostoevsky

>Next book
The Histories - Herodotus

>> No.2748078

>Last Book
Bright Lights, Big City (Jay McInerney)

>Current Book
The Man Without Qualities (Robert Musil)

>Next Book
Lolita (Vladimir Nabokov)

>> No.2748087

>Last book
Les Miserables Victor Hugo
>Current book
Writing to Change the World Mary Pipher

>Next book
'Salem's Lot Stephen King

>> No.2748088

Last:
Death of Ivan ilyich, tolstoy
Current:
Resurrection -Tolstoy, Montaignes Essays, Dostoevsky Notes from House of the Dead and Turgenev's Notes from a Hunter's Album
>Next:
more tolstoy, have read ak & wnp and few stories, but the novellas are amazing.

>>2748078
can you throw out any words about your experience of musil's work, i'm curious what it's like

>> No.2748100

>Last book
The Stranger - Camus
>Current Book
Slaughterhouse Five - Vonnegut
>Next book
For whom the Bell Tolls - Hemingway

>> No.2748119

>Last book
Protector of the Small

>Current book
Vintage Stuff

>Next book
Almost Transparent Blue

>> No.2748142

Last: Stonehenge - Bernard Cornwell
Now: American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Next: The Sorrows of Young Werther - Goethe

>> No.2748147

>>2748142
Is American Gods any good? I loved Sandman.

>> No.2748158

>>2748147
Not him, but I liked it. It was cool.

>> No.2748185 [DELETED] 

>>2748147
>Last Book
Naked Lunch (completed)
Farewell to Arms (abandoned)

>Current
Mason & Dixon - Pynchon
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea - Mishima

>Next
Tale of the Genji - Seidensticker translation
and either Tristram Shandy (Sterne), Collected Stories (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) or Billy Budd, Sailor and Selected Tales (Melville).

>>2748147
It's one of Gaiman's better works, if you enjoyed Sandman you should like it

>> No.2748189

Last book I read:
Thomas Paine's works

Currently:
Song Of Roland, Sound & The fury.

Next:
An Invitation to a Beheading

>> No.2748191

>Last Book
Naked Lunch (completed)
Farewell to Arms (abandoned)

>Current
Mason & Dixon - Pynchon
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea - Mishima

>Next
Tale of the Genji - Seidensticker translation
and either Tristram Shandy (Sterne), Collected Stories (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) or Billy Budd, Sailor and Selected Tales (Melville).

>>2748147
It's one of Gaiman's better works, if you enjoyed Sandman you should like it

>> No.2748207

>>2748147
I'm liking it, but I'll not say "good" because I'm new here and don't know /lit/ tastes yet.
Easy to read and catching
If you like mythology from "random countries", you should try it.

>> No.2748215

>Last Book
Lord Jim - Joseph Conrad

>Current Book
Jacob's Room - Virginia Woolf

>Next Book
Tthe Late Mattia Pascal - Luigi Pirandello

>>2748100
Classic choices. For Whom the Bell Tolls is a good book, but don't be surprised when you're turned off by some of the dialogue.

>> No.2748240

>>2748207
>because I'm new here and don't know /lit/ tastes yet.
Son, you enjoy whatever you like. Regardless of what book you mention, somebody will end up railing on you for not choosing James Joyce.

>> No.2748246

>Last book
Albertine Gone - Proust

>Current book
The Adolescent - Dostoyevsky
>Next book
A Tale of Two Cities - Dickens

>> No.2748254

>>2748240
>liking James Joyce

>> No.2748262

>>2748254
You big silly, nobody on /lit/ has read Joyce. It's just the emperors new clothes syndrome.

>> No.2748269

>Last book
The Names – DeLillo

>Current book
Infinite Jest – at pg 306 whaahooo! since June 1

>Next book
Herzog – Bellow

>> No.2748314
File: 185 KB, 600x800, Binding tunnle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last book
Venice | Pure City - Ackroyd.

>Current book
The Woman Behind the New Deal - Kristin Downey [Nearly done, surprisingly fantastic]

>Next book
Ones I'm still in the middle of; A Vindication of the Rights of Women - Mary Wollstonecraft, Orsinian Tales - Ursula K Le Guin, Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf, Pacific Mythology - Jan Knappert, Byzantine Slavery and the Mediterranean World - Youval Rotman,The Green Collar Economy - Van Jones.
Or; It Can't happen Here - Sinclair Lewis, The Defining Moment - Jonathan Alter, Pippi in the South Seas - Astrid Lindgren, or some other.

>> No.2748319

Last
>The Great Gatsby
Current
>Generation X
>Wuthering Heights
Next
>Not sure, probably Generation A, On The Road, Henderson The Rain King or Don Quixote (because I own them). Might be something else though.

>> No.2748322

>>2748215
You're probably gone, but how did you like Lord Jim? I picked it up on whim after seeing it was by Conrad and because it had a cool cover

>> No.2748373

>>2748322
Still here
Lord Jim was a great book, though there were parts that were a bit stretched out. Conrad's prose is surprisingly good considering he's not a native English speaker, but at times it can seem very pedantic and almost boring. But in the end I really loved it. Great ending as well. You might want to read a few pages before plunging in though.

>> No.2748379

>>2748262
chabon reference intentional or no?

>> No.2748385

To the guy reading a shitload of Tolstoy, and to the guys that like Conrad. Good stuff.

Good authors.

Good day.

>> No.2748387

>>2748373
Sweet thanks. I'll be getting to it soon hopefully.

>> No.2748547
File: 24 KB, 198x300, In_Patagonia.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guess I'll just re-post my stuff from the earlier thread.

>Last read:
Kneller's Happy Campers by Etgar Keret
I've wanted to read something of Keret's for a while, because I guess he's a big flash fiction guy. Also ended up being the first Hebrew and first Israeli author I've read. This was definitely more on the overly quirky side of things (and man at those suicide puns), but the humor kind of made up for it. I liked it alright.

>Currently reading:
Insects Are Just Like You and Me Except Some of them Have Wings by Kuzhali Manickavel
These are really living up to the praise someone gave her on /lit/ a while back (and her blog is really amusing too). Reminds me a lot of Amelia Gray's stories, which I guess are also similar to Miranda July's, who I haven't read yet. The stories are usually very short and the characters are idiosyncratic without being overly quirky. I saw a reviewer call them more neurotic than anything, which is why I think I'm finding these stories more relatable than Gray's. And I am really loving the bug diagrams.

Revenge of the Lawn by Richard Brautigan
I wish he had written more short story collections, because these are like a godly combination of his prose-like poetry and his novellas. I happened to get a copy where someone had circled all their favorites too, and my favorites are strangely lining up with theirs. I've liked "1/3, 1/3, 1/3" the best so far, with it's weirdly postmodern degression at the end.

>Next read:
Severin's Journey into the Dark by Paul Leppin, maybe start up Bruce Chatwin's In Patagonia or R.K. Narayan's A Tiger for Malgudi.

For the near future after that, I'll likely be reading mostly contemporary lit and maybe vaguely poking at the books I own and haven't read yet.

>> No.2748612

>Last
Distrust that Particular Flavor by Gibson

>Now
Ubik by PKD

>Later
Slan by Vought