[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 760 KB, 259x214, 1323988637061.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2742500 No.2742500 [Reply] [Original]

Book Titles Thread

I wrote a novel and I think the title kind of sucks. What kind of titles do you think are catchy? Short ones with two words?
XX?
X and the X?
etc...

What are some of your favorite book titles? Try to be unbiased whether the book was good. Just catchy titles.

>> No.2742504

Distance light has traveled from t_{emitted} to t_{now}.

Working in the context in which the spatial part of spacetime is flat. The metric can be written:

ds^{2}=c^{2}dt^{2}-a^{2}(t)dx^{2}

Where a(t) is the scale factor of the Universe at time t, and c is the speed of light.

The special characteristic of the trajectory followed by light is that ds^{2}=0 (the speed of light is ALWAYS the speed of light) along the path, which implies that \left | dx \right |=\frac{cdt}{a(t)}, or, for what I'm workin' with here (a finite time interval) \int \left | dx \right |=\int_{t_{emitted}}^{t_{now}}\frac{cdt}{a(t)}

The left side of the above equation gives the distance light travels across the distance in STATIC space between the time of emission, and now. Obviously, to make this fit with the current view of the expanding Universe you gotta rescale the formula. Doing this gives,

a(t_{now})\int_{t_{emitted}}^{t_{now}}\frac{cdt}{a(t)}

When calculating the distance traveled in an expanding Universe we see that each segment of the lights trajectory is multiplied by the factor \frac{a(t_{now})}{a(t)}, which is the amount by which that segment has stretched, since the moment light traversed it, until today.

So, yeah, you can calculate distance.

>> No.2742505

Do what everyone else does:

1. Read every Shakespeare play
2. Find a line that sorta kinda talks about what your book is about.
3. Use that.

>> No.2742506

Depends what the book is about and prospective audience.

>> No.2742507

>>2742504

Also, for clarification, I'm using comoving coordinates here.

>> No.2742508

trimalchio in west egg

>> No.2742509

Distance light has traveled from t_{emitted} to t_{now}.

Working in the context in which the spatial part of spacetime is flat. The metric can be written:

ds^{2}=c^{2}dt^{2}-a^{2}(t)dx^{2}

Where a(t) is the scale factor of the Universe at time t, and c is the speed of light.

The special characteristic of the trajectory followed by light is that ds^{2}=0 (the speed of light is ALWAYS the speed of light) along the path, which implies that \left | dx \right |=\frac{cdt}{a(t)}, or, for what I'm workin' with here (a finite time interval) \int \left | dx \right |=\int_{t_{emitted}}^{t_{now}}\frac{cdt}{a(t)}

The left side of the above equation gives thedistance light travels across the distance in STATIC space between the time of emission, and now. Obviously, to make this fit with the current view of the expanding Universe you gotta rescale the formula. Doing this gives,

a(t_{now})\int_{t_{emitted}}^{t_{now}}\frac{cdt}{a(t)}

When calculating the distance traveled in an expanding Universe we see that each segment of the lights trajectory is multiplied bythefactor \frac{a(t_{now})}{a(t)}, which is the amount by which that segment has stretched, since the moment light traversed it, until today.

So, yeah, you can calculate distance.

Anonymous 06/21/12(Thu)20:35 No.2742505

Do what everyone else does:

1. Read every Shakespeare play 2. Find a line that sorta

>> No.2742510

The Sad Ballad of Jimmy Rustle

>> No.2742526

Gold-Hatted Hodor

>> No.2742530
File: 129 KB, 366x335, 1335963319877.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what the fuck is going on