[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 220x223, sartre.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2712960 No.2712960 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /lit/,

can you explain to me the concept of Sartres "Nothingness"?

Is this nothingness awareness?

Please help me, really couldn't find a good explanation...

>> No.2713034

>2012
>reading unironically a XX century philosopher whose work would have been relevant in the XVIII-XIX

sage

>> No.2713037

>Continentals

>> No.2713042

Is this a serious question, OP? Did you even read anything from him?

>> No.2713104

nothingness is the absence of existence. it isn't an existence or a quality or a state of being but it is borne by existing things, particularly conscious beings that can consider the opposite to its existing being.

Sartre is fascinating and I don't actually think people have considered, or even can consider his ideas. partly because they are expressed badly (by Sartre himself and me just above). but more importantly because they are in many ways inexpressible because they are so metaphysical that we can't actually talk or understand them. Other philosophers, whom we commonly consider more rigorous, seem as if they can do it with ease, but they're so called clear elucidation hinges on a dichotomy of there being existence and non-existence, which is a fallacy or limitation of our observation. Sartre tried to deal with 'metaphysical' concepts without resorting to the 'physical' distinction we're drawn to in order to really grasp what existence is. He tried hard but he was never going to grasp or, never mind express it, because we can't.

>>2713037
>>>/sci/

>> No.2713704

>>2712960

Brilliant, simple explanation which does it deed.

Thanks.