[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 500x339, 2215530916_20d5a13d1b[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2710544 No.2710544 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there.
Long story short:
>Tired of my uninteresting life and perpetual procrastination.
>Tired of being a piece of shit, always "waiting when the time comes" to really live, as my life passes by.
>Decided to travel and give the world a chance to throw some adventure at me. Get a backpack and leave. No destination, no purpose.
>I request books relating to such a theme. Or any general discussion pertaining to it.

PS: Due to 4chan's nature it seems inevitable that some of you will consider this a lie. In which case, feel free to treat it as a hypothetical scenario. Thank you.

>> No.2710561

>>2710544
Kerouac would be an obvious choice. Check out On The Road for bohemian roadtripping and The Dharma Bums for semi-Buddhist backpack nomad life.

>> No.2710592

Just a little foresight from an anonymous poster to you OP.
I bet after a week or too, you will change your mind and thnik "What the fuck was I thinking, leaving my luxuries and my Xbox? Fuck this! It seemed easier in movies"

>> No.2710617
File: 42 KB, 500x364, 6870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710544

>Due to 4chan's nature it seems inevitable that some of you will consider this a lie

Oh, I believe you absolutely. It is exactly the type of cliche I've come to expect from guys 19-23.

What you are meant to read is catcher in the rye and really relate to holden caulfiend, then on the road and claim to feel liberated by sal paradise's freedom, then the ousider and realise that your life is absurd with immense meaning, then great gatsby, catch 22, slaughterhouse 5, and whatever book was made into an indy film in the last 10 years. Then you will be exactly the nuanced, unique and magical person you strive to be.

>> No.2710623
File: 1.10 MB, 1920x1080, 1280374473300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710592
Please don't do this so early.
Wait for 4-5 people to reply and then you can derail and troll all you want.
m'kay?

>> No.2710621

boku no pico.

>> No.2710631

>>2710592
Actually he'll probably feel that way the day after he leaves. After a week passes he'll stop caring about any of that stuff though and even if he comes back it'l take him a while to start caring again. It's easier than people think.

>> No.2710633

Down and out in paris and london

>> No.2710635

>>2710631
>>2710592
I like how you made all these assumptions from a short post. It couldn't be because you want to elevate yourselves would it?
Sorry OP, you spoke too soon. Make this thread some other time.

>> No.2710637

Henry motherfucking Miller. He catches the slightly giddy insanity of it all.

>> No.2710652

>>2710635
That's alright. Trolls, hecklers and haters are an inevitability. I just focus on the posters who contribute.

>> No.2710693

>>2710617
I'll give you catcher in the rye but:
great gatsby, catch 22, slaughterhouse 5
these have nothing to do with what the OP requested.
He asked for books "pertaining to backback traveling" aka freedom etc, not "shit that will make me fill unique".

>> No.2710704

Rabbit, Run

my nigga. Well, the first 50 pages or so

>> No.2710714

Evasion by Crimethinc

Are you really just taking a backpack, or do you have a car too? Just curious.

>> No.2710722

The bible.

Only book you'll ever need.
Amen.

>> No.2710753

>>2710714
It was a figure of speech, but I'll pretty much take a travel bag and make some good use of my feet. Of course you can walk only that much, so thank civilization and its trains, ships and buses.

>> No.2710758
File: 2.25 MB, 2000x3494, 1338505452211.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I hope you go through with it, OP. Enjoy.

>> No.2710761

>>2710753

That's a shame. Cars make things much simpler. On those nights you weren't able to secure a squat, you'll wish you had one of those little metal houses on wheels.

>> No.2710764
File: 318 KB, 800x1634, 1331585949225.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck the haters OP.

>> No.2710765
File: 103 KB, 468x500, 1335405322534.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dumping inspiration

>> No.2710768

>>2710764

Wow you should maybe stop thinking like a high school sophomore. Your image is a somewhat valid sentiment, but the rhetoric stinks of Fight Club.

>> No.2710769
File: 292 KB, 1440x900, 1335405354199.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2710776
File: 41 KB, 395x526, 1335561335277.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2710790

>>2710768
It doesn't make it any less valid, or inspirational, though.
You should criticize the content, not the source or the presentation.
Even the ones taken straight from fightclub. Does it matter? Does it change the meaning? The essence? It doesn't! Not to me at least.

>> No.2710793

>>2710769
Why would you shit up a perfectly good graphic-design masturbation with an ugly-ass aphorism?

>> No.2710795

>>2710790

>It doesn't make it any less valid, or inspirational, though.

It really does. Cliche tends to dampen just about any inspirational sentiment. Over the top demagoguery tend to dampen just about any inspirational sentiment.

Either be skilled with your rhetoric, or be sober. Don't be a half assed pundit.

>> No.2710801

>>2710790
>It doesn't make it any less valid, or inspirational, though.
Actually, the rhetoric is what makes something inspirational or not.

>You should criticize the content, not the source or the presentation
Not him, but he criticized the content. Also, why not criticize the presentation? It's okay to do it too.

>Does it change the meaning? The essence? It doesn't!
But isn't the meaning supposed to be our responsibility as readers according to your pic itself? It changes the meaning because it changes how it reaches people.

>> No.2710809
File: 99 KB, 720x660, hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710795
>It really does.
It does to you. Not to me. You are not going to convince me to put on your lenses of criticism. The rhetoric of the statement may be less pleasing to someone with a taste for ""exquisite literary expression"" than something with better prose, but there is a difference between "it could be better", and "it loses meaning".
And on a side note, go fuck yourself. There is at least one of you in every thread.

>> No.2710816

>>2710809
Why are you contradicting the very image by being mad at the meaning someone else ascribed to the text?

>> No.2710819

>Or any general discussion pertaining to it.
So, relating to the thread's theme, why do you think most of us try to suppress our strive for adventure? Is it maybe because it gets sloppily expressed in mutated forms such as liking death metal and abiding to sub-cultural ideologies?

>> No.2710827

>>2710819

It's probably because sleeping in a park, eating from trash, getting harassed by just about everyone (especially police), begging for most things, working shit work for other things, and having extremely poor hygiene are not as fun as they sound.

>> No.2710832

>>2710816
Maybe my meaning is to criticize someone else's meaning.

Seriously though, I just don't like hipsters not liking something because "it stinks of fight club".
When in fact the only relation it has to fight club is the air emanating from its themes, but I would ascribe that to the inspirational character of it, which is a trait shared by the picture and fight club, thus misattributing the shared theme as a reference to fight club.

>> No.2710840
File: 38 KB, 401x600, 9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710827
OP here. Your distorted image of what traveling and striving for adventure is, seems a little too dismissive to not be called projection of your own fears.

>> No.2710844

>>2710832

Yeah, that air stinks. Read some Sartre or Camus or something, shit. Get a bit more class in your existential nihilism. You sound like a child. And you still will after Sartre, but at least a slightly older child.

>> No.2710848

>>2710840

What do you think it's going to be?

>> No.2710864

angels - denis johnson

>> No.2710875
File: 10 KB, 762x438, df.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710844
Let p be this picture and q be fight club, s would be the shared element. Anything whose theme is inspirational will inevitably share something with everything else inspirational in varying degrees, be it considered great or trash, we'll call that s.
Saying that p is trash because it contains s and s refers to fight club simply shows your own ignorance since s is common to everything inspirational and the fact that you immediately thought "fight club" says more about your neural connections that the picture itself.

>> No.2710880 [DELETED] 

>>2710848
does it matter?
I'm gonna be the one eating trash and grow a filthy neckbeard while doing meth and blowing people for change while you can sit on your couch, flickering thru the channels being "all superior n' shit". No need for arguing, my friend.

>> No.2710881

>>2710848
does it matter?
I'm gonna be the one eating trash and grow a filthy neckbeard while doing meth and blowing people for change while you can sit on your couch, flickering thru the channels being "all superior n' shit". No need to argue, my friend.

>> No.2710888

Jon Krakauer's Into The Wild (nonfiction) is an obvious choice. It's actually better and more balanced/nuanced than you'd expect. (especially if you saw the very biased movie)

>> No.2710890

>>2710819
>it gets sloppily expressed in mutated forms such as liking death metal and abiding to sub-cultural ideologies
never actually thought about it this way. Has someone addressed that issue? Seems valid enough.

>> No.2710901

>>2710875

You're trying very hard to sound intelligent and I think that's adorable.

>> No.2710904

>>2710901
And I think you can go frag yourself.

>> No.2710905

>>2710881

I don't have a couch or a TV. Is this about being superior to the non-homeless?

Can I ask you, do you know any homeless? Have you spoken to them? How do you find them?

>> No.2710917

>>2710905
I argued with some all dismissing and all discouraging heckler in another long thread, I don't have the energy for this.

>> No.2710920

>>2710917

>ask questions
>get dismissed as some all discouraging heckler

Maybe you're not as prepared for this as you thought.

>> No.2710933

>>2710920
You're right I'm not.
You just made me realize my mistake. I now see what a stupid idea this was and I decided to stay home.

>> No.2710936

>>2710933

I'm just saying, the fact that you got awful defensive awful quick should give you cause for reflection.

>> No.2710935

>>2710881
>He's mad

Anyways, as someone who grew up in a somewhat bohemian household, believe me, you'll be going through a lot of dumpsters.
Unless you're rich enough to get a motel room every night, and stop at three fast food restaurants a day, you'll either end up completely broke within a week or scrounging through a dump for a new jacket.
Don't feel bad about it, you can get lots of great stuff from the garbage, and there's no shame in getting something for free, but don't think you'll be spending every night in a hotel room with a warm meal.

>> No.2710959

“It is for want of self-culture that the superstition of Travelling, whose idols are Italy, England, Egypt, retains its fascination for all educated Americans. They who made England, Italy, or Greece venerable in the imagination did so by sticking fast where they were, like an axis of the earth. In manly hours, we feel that duty is our place. The soul is no traveller; the wise man stays at home, and when his necessities, his duties, on any occasion call him from his house, or into foreign lands, he is at home still, and shall make men sensible by the expression of his countenance, that he goes the missionary of wisdom and virtue, and visits cities and men like a sovereign, and not like an interloper or a valet.

I have no churlish objection to the circumnavigation of the globe, for the purposes of art, of study, and benevolence, so that the man is first domesticated, or does not go abroad with the hope of finding somewhat greater than he knows. He who travels to be amused, or to get somewhat which he does not carry, travels away from himself, and grows old even in youth among old things. In Thebes, in Palmyra, his will and mind have become old and dilapidated as they. He carries ruins to ruins.

Travelling is a fool’s paradise. Our first journeys discover to us the indifference of places. At home I dream that at Naples, at Rome, I can be intoxicated with beauty, and lose my sadness. I pack my trunk, embrace my friends, embark on the sea, and at last wake up in Naples, and there beside me is the stern fact, the sad self, unrelenting, identical, that I fled from. I seek the Vatican, and the palaces. I affect to be intoxicated with sights and suggestions, but I am not intoxicated. My giant goes with me wherever I go. ” – Emerson, Self-Reliance

>> No.2710963

>>2710936
answering your bullshit isn't defensiveness it's..
why the fuck do I bother replying? why do I feel I have to prove myself to some anonymous poster? I promised to myself I'll study mathematics today. It's 00:42, 20 hours after that and I'm still here. I need some sleep and I'm hungry. (Why do I even write this? These faggots will think it's a failed attempt to write a nice little piece of literature. Maybe they'll think this tautological shit is supposed to make me sound intellectusflgjdfikgd
WHY DO YOU FUCKIGN CARE WHAT THEY THINK!@??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

FUCK you my friend im gonna eat your intestines you rturtle sskjdg klngkvekjb sdgkjhb dfhbjdf inneed sleep

>> No.2710964

>>2710936
not the OP here.
But, since he said he "argued with some all dismissing and all discouraging heckler in another long thread", and he doesn't "have the energy for this", I think out friend the OP, is just suffering from a case of troll-exhaustion.

>> No.2710970

>>2710963

With that sort of insane babble, you'll fit right in among the homeless. Maybe this isn't so misguided after all.

>> No.2710985

>>2710970
ΑΝΤΕ ΓΑΜΗΣΟΥ ΡΕ ΠΑΛΙΟΜΑΛΑΚΑ! ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΩ ΤΗ ΜΑΝΑ ΚΑΙ ΟΛΗ ΣΟΥ ΤΗΝ ΥΠΑΡΞΗ. ΝΑ ΠΕΘΑΝΕΙΣ ΠΑΛΙΟΣΚΑΤΑΔΕΡΦΗ ΤΟΥ ΚΕΡΑΤΑ!! ΝΑ ΛΙΩΣΟΥΝ ΟΛΟΙ ΟΙ ΠΡΟΓΟΝΟΙ ΣΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΝΑ ΜΕΤΑΦΕΡΘΕΙ ΤΟ ΚΑΥΤΟ ΖΟΥΜΙ ΤΟΥΣ ΣΤΟ ΧΡΟΝΟ ΚΑΙ ΝΑ ΣΟΥ ΜΠΕΙ ΟΛΟ ΣΤΟ ΚΟΛΟ ΚΑΙ ΝΑ ΠΙΝΕΙΣ ΣΑΠΙΑ ΓΟΥΡΟΥΝΙΑ ΜΕ ΚΑΛΑΜΑΚΙ ΑΠΟ ΧΡΗΣΙΜΟΠΟΙΗΜΕΝΗ ΚΟΛΟΝΟΣΚΟΠΗΣΗ ΡΕ ΠΟΥΣΤΑΡΙΟ!!
ΖΗΤΩ Η ΧΡΥΣΗ ΑΥΓΗ!!!!
ΖΗΤΩ Ο ΧΙΤΛΕΡ!
ΝΑ ΠΑΕΙ ΝΑ ΓΑΜΗΘΕΙ Ο ΧΙΤΛΕΡ!
ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΩ ΤΗ ΜΥΤΗ.
ΣΚΑΤΟΠΡΟΔΟΤΗ, ΕΣΥ ΚΑΙ ΟΙ ΑΡΟΥΡΑΙΟΙ ΤΗΣ ΠΡΑΣΙΝΗΣ ΜΠΙΤΖΑΜΑΣ. ΛΟΥΔΟΒΙΚΕ ΤΕΤΑΡΤΕ ΤΟΥ ΘΕΡΜΟΚΥΠΙΟΥ. SING ONCE AGAIN WITH ME A STRANGE DUET. MY POWER OVER YOU, GROWS STRONGER YET..
ΓΙΑΝΤΑ ΓΙΑΝΤΑ ΜΠΛΑ ΜΠΛΑ
LUDVIG WITTGENSTEIN HAD IT RIGHT!!!! WORD IS PROJECTION, ENTITY IS NOT SYMBOL. SYMBOLS INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER IN ACCORDANCE TO LIGCA AXIOMS MIMICKING THE REAL SYSTEM WHICH ACTS IN ACCORDANCE TO THE SAME LAWS. BUT THIS LAWAS ARE ALSO A REPRESENTATION OF OF THE LAWS THEMSELVES. THE ACTING THE ESSENSE@@
ΠΑΩ ΣΤΟ ΛΟΥΝΑΠΑΡΚ ΝΑ ΒΙΑΣΩ ΠΑΙΔΑΚΙΑ. ΜΟΥ ΑΡΕΣΕΙ ΤΟ ΓΕΜΙΣΤΟ ΚΟΤΟΠΟΥΛΟ. ΣΦΑΙΡΕΣ!!! ΠΟΥΛΙΑ
11111 ΕΝΑ ΕΝΑ ΕΝΑ ΕΝΑ ΔΥΟ ΤΡΙΑ ΤΕΣΣΕΡΑ ΣΑΣ ΤΡΩΩ ΤΑ ΠΑΠΑΚΙΑ ΠΑΛΙΟ ΕΓΚΥΕΣ ΓΥΝΑΙΚΕΣ ΜΕ ΧΡΩΜΟΣΟΜΑΤΑ ΥΨΙΛΛΟΝ@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ΠΑΠΑΚΙΑ ΚΑΙ ΠΑΦΟΥΡΙΑ,ΠΑΓΟΥΡΙΑ ΜΠΑΚΟΥΡΙΑ ΚΕΙΝΟΥΡΓΓΓΓΓΙΑ

>> No.2710993
File: 174 KB, 650x764, 1309303793670.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710985
definitely a victim of troll fatigue.

>> No.2711052

>>2710985
>plugged this in a translator:

Fuck PE PALIOMALAKA! YOUR MOTHER AND THE fuck your very existence. TO THE HORNS PETHANEIS PALIOSKATADERFI! Melt ALL your ancestors and to transfer through time to HOT TO YOU AND ALL THE BAY AND Colo PINEIS Rotten Pig with a straw from used Colonoscopy PE POUSTARIO!
LONG LIVE THE GOLDEN DAWN!!
REQUEST A HITLER!
Go to Fuck Hitler!
Fuck YOUR NOSE.
SKATOPRODOTI, YOU AND THE RATS OF GREEN BITZAMAS. Louis Fourth of THERMOKYPIOU. SING ONCE AGAIN WITH ME A STRANGE DUET. MY POWER OVER YOU, GROWS STRONGER YET ..
Yan Yan blah blah
LUDVIG WITTGENSTEIN HAD IT RIGHT!!!! WORD IS PROJECTION, ENTITY IS NOT SYMBOL. SYMBOLS INTERACT WITH EACH OTHER IN ACCORDANCE TO LIGCA AXIOMS MIMICKING THE REAL SYSTEM WHICH ACTS IN ACCORDANCE TO THE SAME LAWS. BUT THIS LAWAS ARE ALSO A REPRESENTATION OF OF THE LAWS THEMSELVES. THE ACTING THE ESSENSE @ @
GO TO LOUNAPARK to rape children. I like the stuffed chicken. BULLETS! BIRDS
11111 ONE ONE ONE ONE TWO THREE FOUR YOU EAT THE Duck EGKYES OLD WOMEN WITH CHROMOSOMATA YPSILLON Duck and PAFOURIA, water bottle Bakouros KEINOURNGNGGIA

>> No.2711888

>>2710888
You didn't think the book, Into The Wild, was biased? Every single letter from readers is negative. Krauker didn't put in one letter from someone supporting Chris. There's whole parts judging the fuck out of Chris, was he gay!? was he insane!? it got ridiculous. Random people writing in, judging the shit out of him and I wonder how many mistakes and bad things those people have done in their lives.

How do you mean the film was biased?

Op read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. Hunger. Shantaram. The Rings of Saturn. As I walked out one midsummer morning.

Good luck on the trip. I dream of doing the same. I've saved up lots of money, I'm waiting to get a bit more and then I'll go. The money's a back up plan.

>> No.2713210
File: 212 KB, 700x700, 1329286395291.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2710985
>ΖΗΤΩ Η ΧΡΥΣΗ ΑΥΓΗ!!!!
>ΖΗΤΩ Ο ΧΙΤΛΕΡ!
>ΝΑ ΠΑΕΙ ΝΑ ΓΑΜΗΘΕΙ Ο ΧΙΤΛΕΡ!

>> No.2713218

>>2710985
>ΓΑΜΗΣΟΥ ΡΕ ΠΑΛΙΟΜΑΛΑΚΑ! ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΩ

This is not the homework board. Please take your math problems to >>>/hm/

>> No.2713227

>ctrl+f walden
>Phrase not found
Look it up, OP.

>> No.2713228

That guy who inspired the Beatnick movement wrote a book of his travels.

There's Eat Pray Love but that's for chicks.

>> No.2713266

I love the ambiguity I have created.

The book is Infinite Jest, and this is from a news article today. The hoe is a nobody. I just lol'd at the fact she brought such a dense, heavy book to her sons football game and assumed it was an attempt to appear intelligent in front of the paps.

>> No.2714805

>>2710764
that image can fuck off
why do people want to be sociopaths all of a sudden?
here, if you don't believe in morals tell me your address so i can find you and kill you, what's the issue? morals don't exist, nothing wrong with doing this.
fucking idiots