[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 49 KB, 337x500, dark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2689087 No.2689087 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /lit/, /sp/artan here

Been looking to get into a new fantasy series. Should I read this one, Gardens of the moon or something else?

I've already read the ASOIAF and LOTR series. I'm open to pretty much anything, difficult or not. I'm not picky or critical at all really.

>> No.2689097

>>2689087
Are you impartial to science fiction?

>> No.2689099
File: 233 KB, 232x352, TheWayOfKings.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was in a similar situation as you a few weeks ago. I hadn't read any fantasy besides ASoIaF since, yeesh, Dragonlance as a kid. So as I started reading about what's out there and decided on Sanderson's "The Way of Kings", as it was a brand new series (1st of a projected 10) by a prominent author.

Gardens of the Moon was almost my choice but I wanted somthing that I wouldn't have to catch up to everyone else. So far the Sanderson book is pretty good.

>> No.2689101

Well Bakker is really an acquired taste so it might take you a little while to get into it.
Actualy it's the same with Gardens of the moon and the Malazan book of the fallen series. Mainly becouse they are so gigantic in scope and it takes a while for the reader to get things in order and actualy get the big picture.
My advice read them both but be patient, the really good stuff comes later in both series and damn me is they aren't my favourites fantasy reads..

>> No.2689107

Black Company

>> No.2689111

Both the Malazan series (GotM isn't the best in the series, but it's good) and The Way of Kings are very good reads. Depending on how quickly you read, TWoK will leave you waiting for the next in the series, while GotM already has 9 giant sequels and a few spinoff novels waiting for you.

>> No.2689112

Bakker is pretty much the best epic fantasy has to offer right now, although borders on philosophical treatise at times which can be alienating to some readers. Kind of Essential Contemporary Fantasy, if you'll excuse the term. It's a pretty amazing blend of Mediterranean History, DUNE, and LOTR.

Malazan is very popular, more two-dimensional, action/plot driven and easier to digest. Personally found it boring but it's immensely popular so eh.

>> No.2689114

Oh, and I've read Bakker too and his books are pretty good, but very dark, very heavy. No real banter between characters, it's all pretty grimly serious.

>> No.2689133

>>2689099
read all of sanderson's books
seriously, top of the line fantasy

mistborn series belongs with the greats imo

another great and underappreciated series is acacia by david anthony durham

>> No.2689134

The Second Apocalypse is hard to get into but easier than Malazan Book of the Fallen.

Also check out the Kingkiller Chronicle.
People say that the main character is a mary sue or the series is Harry Potter for adults but it really is a great tale, and easy to read.

>> No.2689135

>>2689134
liked the first one a lot, second one was a big let down i thought
after he left school, the structure really fell apart... i didn't buy his jump from above-average-student to magic-elf-fucking hyper-skilled kingkiller

>> No.2689139

>>2689135
the fairy fucking shit was retarded

>> No.2689501

Thanks everyone. I think I'll pick up The Way of Kings and The Darkness That Comes Before. I heard Gardens of The Moon is a pretty rough read, but the sequels are fantastic.

Thanks a lot!

>>2689097

Actually, if you have some good Science Fiction suggestions I'd love to have them. I haven't read any since I made the mistake of reading one of the Ender's game series that wasn't Ender's game.

>> No.2690356

>>2689501
For sci-fi, I'd suggest "Singularity Sky" and "Iron Sunrise" by Charles Stross, and/or the Takeshi Kovacs series by Richard K. Morgan (starting with "Altered Carbon").