[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 112 KB, 700x700, sharpe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2676651 No.2676651 [Reply] [Original]

Hello everyone. I'm looking for book series that are about a single soldier/spy (or a small group) having adventures durring conflicts and whatnot. As examples I could give the Sharpe series, captain Alatriste and the Young Indiana Jones series, the latter being tv series, but the concept is the same. Any suggestions for more of the same?

>> No.2676659

Horatio the Hornblower

>> No.2676661

There is a series of books by Ian Flemming that fit the description, I can't think of the name though.

>> No.2676670

>>2676659
Oh yeah, I know about those.

>>2676661
I know I said "spy" but I meant something more historical.

>> No.2676680

>>2676661
Austin Powers?

>> No.2676766

Anabasis

>> No.2676931

a lot of (virtually all, as far as i'm aware) cecelia holland novels are like that, like with one sort of outsider who blunders into the middle of a conflict, somehow comes to know all the lords/kings/whoever are key players on both sides, and having a disproportionately large effect on the action by means of a few good decisions, personal determination, selfishness, and luck. the way i described it sounds really cliche, but it's always a different settings, and the way that it plays out in each novel is always very different. it's like, through the protagonist's efforts, you see a gritty picture of the nuts and bolts of once-momentous, now mostly forgotten historical events. like john le carre but with 10th century danish & irish kings, shit like that. you might check out 'the kings in winter' or the corban loosestrife saga (beginning with 'the soul thief').

>> No.2676967
File: 27 KB, 242x371, Flashmancover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2677006

Flashman. Definitely Flashman.

Uhhhh, maybe John Buchan's books, especially the Richard Hannay stuff. Great fun. Maybe GA Henty. idk man.

>> No.2677021

Bernard Cornwell's other books are often exactly what you're looking for. The Warlord Chronicles are set in the Dark Ages, based around the "historical" Arthur. And the Starbuck books are pretty much Sharpe II, but set in the American Civil Kerfuffle.

There's another series set in the Hundred Years War, but I haven't read it. I'd imagine it's pretty good though.

Considerably less historically based, but I liked Stan Nicholls Orc books - about a small platoon fighting in a stereotypical Evil Horde. It's like LoTR from the other guy's side.

Allan Mallinson wrote a series of books about a cavalry officer in the Napoleonic wars. It was a blatant Sharpe clone, and I didn't rate it myself, but YMMV.

>> No.2677029

>>2676659

came here to say this, that's where Corwell got his ispiration, simply fantastic, and you like the navy Patrick O'Brian is just there for you, Aubrey-Maturin that some real bromance.