[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 184 KB, 729x1097, 1331350456404.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2654725 No.2654725 [Reply] [Original]

Can somebody recommend a good book on this history of israel vs palestine?

>> No.2654728

curious about this as well

>> No.2654749

>>2654725
these guys
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Historians
the big deal book is "1948" by morris

>> No.2654758
File: 40 KB, 346x475, 417464-L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2654762

Charles D. Smith - Palestine and the Arab-Israeli Conflict
Edward Said - The Question of Palestine

>> No.2654765

Just make sure you don't read anything written by a jew or a muslim. Probably no Germans too, because perhaps modern day Germans pity jews.
I've talked a bit with an Israeli a few days ago, and it was almost like he was indoctrinated by his school. Maybe they even do that. I did talk with another woman there too, she was 21 I think and had to go to the army, which she really didn't want to. It depends on the person I guess.

>> No.2654773

>>2654725
Good luck finding a book not biased as all hell on this topic. Plenty of crap I'm sure from lefties.

>> No.2654815

>>2654758
Did you actually read this? What do you think? I hear the writing is shit, repetitive, boring, doesn't explain the chronology etc and doesn't put forward a lot of evidence (not that this means it's not true, it makes a person's heart and mind more content when the evidence, even if loosely, is explained.)

>> No.2655084

My father is from palestine
Forget the whole anti-semitism, what the isrealis are doing is just plain wrong

>> No.2655093

the most important thing to remember is that if the book doesn't piss off both sides, it's not worth your time

>> No.2655115

Pro Israel points

>Palestine wasn't a country beforehand
>Israel nicked all that land after the entire Middle-East tried to gangbang them and got fucked
>The Palestinians have a nasty habit of blowing up Israelis, and they're led by an ultra-fundie Islamic group
>Saying Israel doesn't have a 'right' to exist is retarded; no country does. Might makes right in the world stage
>Stealing Jerusalem almost makes up for the Muzzers stealing Byzantium

Pro Palestine points

>The Israelis aren't half being dicks to the everyday Palestinians, which helpfully also explains why said ultra-fundie Islamic group is so popular amongst them
>That same might makes right comment means that the Palestinian plan of 'blow up Jew until Jew stops Jewing us' is a perfectly valid way of claiming their own land
>The Jews kinda Jewed them pretty hard with the whole 'let's pilfer Jerusalem from them and tell them to sod off"

There you go OP, just saved you an awful lot of time. Neither side is in the right and everyone involved is a shithead in one way or another.

>> No.2655120

Les Bienveillantes, by Jonathan Littell.

Received close to no attention from america, was a best-seller in France.

Too crude for them americans who don't want their heart broken.

>> No.2655172

OP, I'm in favour of a two-state solution, everyone (including Hamas AFAIK) is except Israel. But what you should do is e-mail a history or current affairs academic and say you want to read an impartial account of the conflict. Even if they are on one side or another, they'll tend to point you in the right direction.

>>2655115

You're a fucking retard.

1 Claiming Palestine didn't exist as a country implies that there is a definition of what makes a country. It didn't exist as a nation-state, but there was a linguistic, ethnic Palestinian identity beforehand which is the basis of most ''countries''. Besides, by your criteria, Israel didn't exist either, so the point is redundant.

2 This justification is akin to saying that the Vietnamese have a ride to annex parts of the USA, or Ireland parts of England. I don't know much about the war, but, philosophically speaking, one nation-state being a cunt doesn't entitle the other state to be one.

3 Hamas aren't THAT extreme, they accept Israel's right to exist for example, their main demands are a return to pre-1967 boundaries and the right of exiled Palestinians to return to their home country. Besides, they have a democratic mandate. Also, fundamentalism is relative. EG, wrt capitalism, liberalism, property etc, ALL Western govs are ''ultra fundie'' too.

4 If might makes right, then why are you even discussing this? You should be measuring different military capabilities.

5 Different ''Muzzers'', I mean, JFK was Catholic, so am I, does that make me responsible for his policies.

I was gonna do all your points, but they're all just as retarded. You're just a waster really.

>> No.2655250
File: 56 KB, 325x500, jerusalem-book_swbotc4mtc4mdiymdi1mw.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've heard alot of good things about pic related and he seems to have pissed both sides off with avoiding their respective biases. Its scope is limited to the city of Jerusalem and its chronology goes waaaaay back before 1947 but it provides a more focused and long term perspective not found in other books on this topic.