[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 210 KB, 381x313, HarukiMurakami.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2651290 No.2651290 [Reply] [Original]

Does /lit/ like Haruki Murakami? What would you recommend to someone who hasn't read anything by him before?

>> No.2651294

I'm very fond of him.

Read Kafka on the Shore. It's one of his best, and will give you a good idea of what he's all about.

>> No.2651884

Read one of his books and you've read them all. He's that kind of author.

>> No.2651894

I'd recommend a library or bookstore with his works on a shelf.

>> No.2651899

Read one of his short stories long time ago.. Don't know what to think of him. I also have Norwegian Wood on my backlog

>> No.2651903

>>2651884

I've only read Sputnik Sweetheart and Norwegian Wood, and while they had quite a few similarities, they were still very different books.

>> No.2651911

Pick anything you feel like but avoid 1Q84 as long as you can. It's by far his worst work.

Keep in mind that Norwegian Wood is awesome and pretty good starter book BUT it doesn't really have any surreal/magic-realism thing going on like his other books.

It's also better to read Dance Dance Dance after A Wild Sheep Chase. (and Hear the Wind Sing and Pinball, 1973 before them, but those aren't that necessary).

>> No.2651986

I read The Elephant Vanishes and After the Quake.

both are very good.

>> No.2651994

I've liked what I've read so far. The Wind Up Bird Chronicle is great and that would be my recommendation.
Others I've liked:
Kafka on the Shore
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World

I'm hoping to work my way through IQ84 over the summer.

>> No.2652032

Having read all his translated stuff I've come to the conclusion that he has been on a downward trend since the early / mid 90s.

Personally I really like his early stuff like HBW, AWSC, DDD and even Pinball (NW is a bit meh though). WUBC is all right, but not that great. Everything after that though is less impressive and mediocre at best.

Some of his short stories are okay but he's nothing on those who really excel in the format.

>> No.2652380

I got WUBC last week and i'm already on book three. It's weird as fuck. But very interesting.

>> No.2652560

Underground is alright.

A bit too repetitive though, and it didn't get extremely interesting until almost the end when he started interviewing people involved with Aum.