[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 71 KB, 443x469, left-brain-right-brain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2649709 No.2649709 [Reply] [Original]

Why do we have structuralism, feminism, Marxism, postmodernism et cetera as literary theories when you can just analyse literature by using psychology?

Literature is, indisputably about the human condition, after all.

>> No.2649724

Literary Darwinism, motherfucker.

>> No.2649728

>>2649724

What the fuck is that?

>> No.2649730

>>2649728
Google it, brah.

>> No.2649734

Except evolution is bullshit.

>> No.2649738
File: 57 KB, 500x429, Greatest Show on Earth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2649734
Nonsense.

>> No.2649750

leftist professors need to make stuff up in order to have something to do with their time + receive research grants to spend on weed

>> No.2649751

>>2649734
>>>/sci/
Some people will actually agree with you here.

>> No.2649772

Because psychology can only tell us certain things. And people do employ it in analysis sometimes.

You have to remember that the whole body of literary criticism is just an effort to say interesting things about literature. Psychology can do that, but so can other theories.

>> No.2649781

>Literary Darwinists use concepts from evolutionary biology and the evolutionary human sciences to formulate principles of literary theory and interpret literary texts.
This is fucking laughable.

>> No.2649783

>>2649781
So basically informed scientific reasoning rather than word games?

>> No.2649786

>>2649781

Eh, it seems as valid as any other theory. I don't really understand how it would work, though.

Like, do they look at character behavior and argue that it's biologically determined or something?

>> No.2649792

>>2649786
From the wikipedia article, looks like they don't bother with literary criticism at all. Thank God, they sound liek sane people.

Looks like they come from trying to explain what art is good for, what with it being so universal.

Again, from the Wikipedia article, the theories include:
- art is a brain-improving, mental training game;
- art is human-bonding game;
- art is sexual display ("like a peacock's tail")

In fact, literary darwinists sound saner than everyone else. Should probably look more into the works.

>> No.2649795

>>2649792
The first theory sounds the most sound. Isn't creativity directly proportional to reacting to life challenges? I.e. living in an environment that demands creative thinking makes you creative.

>> No.2649796

>>2649792

Why do we need to investigate these things? Sounds pretty obvious, and rather boring.

>> No.2649799

>>2649796
Knowing "why" is instrumental in finding out "how exactly".

>> No.2649800

>>2649799

How exactly what? How the work was produced? Why do I care about that?

>> No.2649803

>>2649800
That you personally are not interested doesn't mean it's useless.

How the work is produced is something every artist knows. Why is that so is the question. That's how science works. You answer the quesitons you have first, and see if you can apply any of the answers afterwards.

>> No.2649808

>>2649803

Okay, let me rephrase the question:

Why should ANYONE care how a work comes about? Why is that a worthwhile question to be asking and investigating?

>> No.2649812

>>2649808
In order to make a better work, or be more efficient in making it, but that's not the point.

The question is, why does art exist? It is universal, so it must serve a purpose. What is the purpose?

If this is established, it may prove useful. How exactly useful will perhaps be apparent when the question is answered.

>> No.2649814

>>2649812

>In order to make a better work, or be more efficient in making it, but that's not the point.

Oh okay, because that sounds like science fiction, honestly. I'm glad it's not the point.

>The question is, why does art exist? It is universal, so it must serve a purpose. What is the purpose?

But you still haven't been able to answer why this is a worthwhile question.

You say it will be useful. Useful for what, exactly?

>> No.2649816

>>2649814
Have you stopped reading the post before it ended for some reason?
>If this is established, it may prove useful. How exactly useful will perhaps be apparent when the question is answered.

>> No.2649819

>>2649816

Useful for what? How can you say it will be useful without knowing what it will be useful for?

>> No.2649827

>>2649819
I can not. It may prove useless, but that is unlikely, especially with something as universal as art.

I hope you aren't kidding and I'm not wasting my time talking to you. Here's an example.

Smoking. Without finding out how exactly it works and why so many people smoke, you can't tell if the knowledge itself will prove useful. Maybe smoking is good, maybe not, people cough after they smoke and addiction is obvious, so, by your logic, why the fuck study it at all, right?
But understanding smoking helped
- prove addiction and negative health effects;
- see that positive health effects are outranked;
- see what elements exactly are addictive.
This, in turn, led to
- increasing awareness;
- recognize health risks involved and improve screening, thus saving lives;
- decrease effects of smoking on non-smokers (after finding out that it doesn't jsut smell bad - it fucking kills you);
- helping produce measures to alleviate and cure addiction.

Therefore, finding out how smoking works and why people smoke tobacco was incredibly beneficial.

See? That's how studies work. You accumulate knowledge first, and see if it's any good later. You can fantasize about possible uses beforehand, but only fantasize.

>> No.2649829

because OP:
THE TEXT

>> No.2649832

>>2649827

Okay.

Now explain why this should replace literary theory. Because at this point it doesn't even seem like the two are even remotely related or trying to do similar things. Yet you seemed awful arrogant in proclaiming that literary theorists are insane while these guys are paragons of sanity.

>> No.2649838

>>2649832
>Now explain why this should replace literary theory.
Oooooooooh so that's what was going on. To me, looks like you were trying to make me claim something rhetorical or unrealistic so you could use that as an excuse to disregard literary darwinism.

Oh, I'll oblige.

The two are not related, just like astronomy is not related to astrology. Two entirely different things.

>> No.2649842

>>2649838

Well no. I'm going to disregard literary darwinism because it's not actually "literary" and really has nothing to do with me.

>> No.2649843
File: 728 KB, 705x761, F.Nietzche.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hmm, this literary Darwinism reminds me of Nietzsche's "Homer's Contest" where he talks about how ancient Greek literature was related to the Greeks' environment and social/political circumstances.
Excerpt:
"But what do we behold when, no longer led and protected by Homer, we stride back into the pre-Homeric world? Only night and terror and an imagination accustomed to the horrible. What kind of earthly existence do these revolting, terrible theogonic myths reflect? A life ruled only by the children of Night: strife, lust, deceit, old age, and death."

He explains in that essay how Greek literature was related to the Greeks' innate aggression and desire for triumph.
"Why must the Greek sculptor give form again and again to war and combat in innumerable repetitions: distended human bodies, their sinews tense with hatred or with the arrogance of triumph; writhing bodies, wounded; dying bodies, expiring? Why did the whole Greek world exult over the combat scenes of the Iliad? I fear that we do not understand these in a sufficiently "Greek" manner; indeed, that we should shudder if we were ever to understand them "in Greek".

>> No.2649844

>>2649842
Yes, you better get back to consuming word games before they get cold.

>> No.2649845

>>2649844

I don't know why you have to be so arrogant and insulting. You said yourself that your darwinist stuff has nothing to do with theory, so why insult it as if theory threatens it?

I'm trying to say interesting things about literature. Why does that make you angry and want to insult me?

>> No.2649847

>>2649843

Harold Bloom is also rather well known for talking about the agonistic characteristics of the western literary tradition.

He's been criticized for having something of a one sided view, though. Particularly by feminists who view his position as one that's rather male-centric and refuses to look at any way the tradition could be viewed as a cooperative process. But yeah.

>> No.2649851

>>2649845
I'm not being insulting. Arrogant, yes, but insulting?

What I thought initially was that "literary darwinism" was just another, yes, literary theory. Turns out it isn't, i.e., it is probably something saner than I initially thought.

Obviously, I consider literary theory an example of scholasticism. This is unrelated to literary darwinism.

>> No.2649852

>>2649709
Erm, I think all those things are based on psychology. Freud's work describing unconscious impulses and people acting out dominant/submissive roles. The rest of their intellectual background comes from Marx and the oppressor/oppressed relationship ideas as driving a history and being apparent in all aspects of society.

>> No.2649854

>>2649851

Calling me insane is not insulting?

>> No.2649863

>>2649854
I wasn't talking to or about you when I used the word.

>> No.2649879

>>2649863

I study literary theory.

>> No.2649887

>>2649734
I lol'd.

>> No.2649889

>>2649808
To gain insight, you thick-skulled twat.

>> No.2649894

>>2649879
Thank you for telling me that.

You discipline is shit. And I'm not being insulting, I'm being helpful. Quit while you can. It's a dead end, both economically and scientifically. Ha ha! Fucking twit. FUCK YOU.

>> No.2649896

>>2649889

Why would we want insight into... what, again?

If you say the mind of the artist I'm just going to laugh.

>> No.2649906

>>2649896
Into mechanisms of perceiving and creating art.