[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 110 KB, 423x650, tumblr_ldugiw8H3Z1qagmifo1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2649545 No.2649545 [Reply] [Original]

Is this book really about solitude? i read the hinged cover and it didnt sound like it.

need more recommendations on books about solitude.

>> No.2649547

Bump for interest

>> No.2649558

As far as I can tell, the "Solitude" refers to how the town of Macondo is pretty much cut off from the world. Stuff like science comes to them via the gypsies, and eventually I guess even wars and the industrial revolution befall it, but at its core it's always the lone hideaway of the Buendías. I think it's most obvious when they explore the surrounding areas in the first years of settlement and it's all just fucking jungle for miles on every side.

>> No.2649599
File: 61 KB, 300x321, 1337116383039.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>understanding literally the title of a book

>> No.2649632

It really is about solitude but also a shitload of other things, it's not just a novel about solitude alone.

The solitude is both of the town of macondo from the rest of the world but also about characters solitude. Basically everyone has a happy period in their life then dies lonely as shit.

About how they can't let eachother into their lives so they're living under the same roof but everybody is lonely somehow.

GREAT book! Very funny and sad.

>> No.2649652
File: 58 KB, 326x500, chronicle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Gabriel Garcia Marquez thread?! I was just about to start one.
Can we pleeeaase talk about Chronicle of a Death foretold?
I'm currently writing an essay as to how the minor charactors contribute to the development of key themes
The themes i was planning on discussing are: the importance of class in Latin American culture, the gender divide/role of women and the dysfunction of authority figures - thoughts?
help greatly appreciated

>> No.2649659

There is a shitload of solitude in that book

The town is cut off, the main family cuts themselves off, each character cuts themselves off

It is really good and you should read it

>> No.2649677

yes it is about solitude, but it's not going to smash you in the face about it.

i personally disliked the book except for the 4chan-worthy ending which was pretty awesome, but the theme of solitude is all over it to a certain degree. Better displayed sometimes and not so much in others.

>> No.2649771

>>2649545
Old Man and the Sea
Notes From Underground