[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 45 KB, 400x380, rick riordan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2647182 No.2647182 [Reply] [Original]

Anybody read these? I know they're YA, but these fucking books are plastered all over my local bookstore, and the covers are quite nice. Opinions?

>> No.2647190

The cool covers are the best thing about them. Interesting idea though (Greek gods in modern day America).

12 year old boy is chosen one with powers, typical YA nonsense.

>> No.2647199

>>2647190

I can get past the "chosen boy" trope if the characters are likeable and the story is entertaining. But I guess that's a no om both counts?

>> No.2647201

>>2647199
I found it mildly entertaining. A bit of deus ex machina here and there though. Short, easy reads; go for it!

>> No.2647202

They're a really quick read if you have nothing better at hand and they aren't terrible. Don't buy them unless they're on clearance or a really good sale though.

>> No.2647217

I wouldn't advise purchasing them, but go ahead and read them. They're entertaining enough, and I love Greek mythology so it was a neat rendition of that.
The characters aren't awful, the writing style isn't terrible, and it's a neat concept. It's entertaining.

>> No.2647253

American Gods, Neil Gaiman
>Gods from all sorts of cultures IRL
>Not YA
That alone will make for a better read in one book than in all these rags combined.