[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 8 KB, 184x184, cereal guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2645975 No.2645975 [Reply] [Original]

Where does one start with Cormac McCarthy?

>> No.2645983

I say read The Road first. Then do Blood Meridian. Go wherever you feel like after that.

>> No.2645986

>>2645975
Blood Meridian.
If you can read that, you can read anything of his. Well, maybe Outer Dark could be a better first. I'd read BM.

>> No.2646715

I started with No Country For Old Men. Now I've almost read everything by him, including a play, The Sunset Limited. I really like his work, and I guess that initial read got me hooked. So that would be my suggestion.

>> No.2646722

/tv/

>> No.2646727

No Country for Old Men and The Road seem like obvious choices. Good sample of his work, and damn fine reads.

Suttree and Blood Meridian are arguably his best books, but I wouldn't recommend jumping straight into them.

>> No.2646741

The Border Trilogy is my favorite. Not as slow as The Road and doesn't have as many superfluous words like Blood Meridan

>> No.2646745

Outer Dark, then No Country, then the Road, then Blood Meridian, then all the rest

>> No.2646769

The Border Trilogy and before, Outer Dark and after.

>> No.2646792
File: 60 KB, 500x338, miltonfriedman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd suggest reading one of his easier ones before jumping into something like Blood Meridian.

I read The Road in high school, unaware that he'd written anything else. I then watched No Country, which was a fantastic movie. In the credits i see that it's based on the book by McCarthy so I looked into what else he'd done and decided to try to read Blood Meridian. I literally just finished it two hours ago, it's definitely one of the best books I've ever read. I don't think I fully understood all of it and it was still one of the best books I've ever read.

I tried reading No Country last year, but the film adaptation was so true to the book that I couldn't really keep my focus on it and haven't finished it yet.

Next, I'm going to read Suttree.

captcha: Milton, ojobiz