[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 460x276, Haruki-Murakami-002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2645048 No.2645048[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Haruki Murakami thread: Good writer or bad?

I just finished his book "Kafka on the Shore" and was mildly disappointed. My grandmother was telling me how great his books are but "Kafka" was too surreal and boring. Overall I give it a 6.5/10 because it was stimulating and the "Nakata" character was compelling. I like and also wonder why he included Colonel Sanders. Comic relief that sorta works but not really.

What other books are better than "Kafka"?

>> No.2646114

I enjoyed Norwegian Wood. I read half of After the Quake but didn't like how all the stories had non endings.

>> No.2646117

We have this thread everyday

He's a great writer who has done the same thing over and over quite a lot. Dance x3 and NW are the gold standards. Windup comes runner up

>> No.2646125

I've read Kafka on the Shore and Wild Sheep Chase. Kafka on the Shore was great. Wild Sheep Chase was interesting but somehow lacking. While I enjoyed both books, I don't particularly want to read much more of his work because it all seems rather similar. I would like to reread Kafka On The Shore some time though. However, he's not for everyone.

>> No.2646139

Started ad finished Sputnik Sweetheart this monday, between four airports and three planes trips. It was my first book by him, I enjoyed it, it's a pleasurable and easy reading for places that are far from being relaxing and calm, I liked how the book dealt with loneliness, and I sympathized with the narrator. And, even though Miu's "14 years old ago story" was great, Murakami wasn't able to manipulete completely the magic realism that he pulled out on the middle of the book.

>> No.2646156

Personally I don't care for Haruki Murakami. I don't care for him at all.

>> No.2646158

Haruki Murakami is a plagiarist and an untalented, unimaginative author.

He stole the name for his book "1Q84" from George Orwell's most famous work entitled "1984".

Ha! How clever, I'll replace the "9" with "Q" and no one will notice anything! Even though Q and 9 are homophones in Japanese language and pronouncing the names of these two novels in Japanese would sound the same.

But this wasn't the first time something like this happened. Seven years earlier, he used Franz Kafka's last name to name the main protagonist of his novel "Kafka on the Shore" and basically the book itself.

He also took that Beatles song "Norwegian Wood" for that title of his one book.

Why is this guy so uncreative? Why does he have to steal things from other authors?

And why are his books so awful and nonsensical? If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit, right?

>> No.2646166

>Comic relief that sorta works but not really.
>Comic relief
Do you even read?

>> No.2646170

>>2646158
this is fucking beautiful

>> No.2646180

>>2646170
Too bad it's copypasta.

>> No.2646185

Is his style anything like Kafka's

>> No.2646203

>>2646180
I assumed it was

>> No.2646208
File: 114 KB, 638x478, taoandMurakami.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2645048
Murakami and his son Tao Lin are pretty boss writers.

>> No.2646209

I love him. My favourite is After Dark, just something about the vibe of it.

I loved Norwegian Wood but the ending threw me.

Why does he sleep with the older carer woman. I just don't get it. It's so out of the blue and pointless. The way he describes her, i pictured her as quite old and wrinkly, albeit cool but not enought to warrent him shagging her. I don't get why they don't have a laugh and a drink, then he sleeps and calls the other girl. Kindof ruined it for me.

>> No.2646214

>>2646156
You seem to care enough to be in his thread.

Don't worry man, no need to be afraid of accidentally enjoying someone popular.

>> No.2646215

>>2646209
He fuckes everyone. Even girls he doesn't want to fuck. He's just a slut.

>> No.2646695

>>2646180
>>2646203
Too bad I wrote it, so it technically isn't copypasta.