[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 7 KB, 160x152, sad_shakespeare1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2642425 No.2642425 [Reply] [Original]

How bad were your classes when you read, or just english classes in general /lit/? I remember mine being terrible.
>People struggling to read the most basic Shakespeare
>Incompetent, slow readers who are scared of big words always being chosen
>People not having a try at complicated/foreign words and saying it how it is spelt and just stammering

And my favourite
>Sir why can't we just watch a film of Macbeth instead of reading it it's quicker and better.

>That feel when the only person who reads in your class.

>> No.2642429

I was in a junior level university literature course yesterday where someone mispronounced "pagan".

I'll let you imagine how.

>> No.2642431

>>2642429
Did they say it like a japanese word?

>> No.2642432

>>2642429
pahgahn?

idk. its impossible

>> No.2642433

>>2642431
>>2642432

>pahgahn

Yeah, pretty much that.

>> No.2642434
File: 61 KB, 300x321, 202.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>What class are you reading that for?

>> No.2642438

>>2642429
>>2642432
>Have Danish mother
>She comes from "Daneland"
>She 'is Dane' (not a Dane)
>hurr are you a viking
It really rustled my jimmies.

>> No.2642441
File: 7 KB, 645x773, thefeel.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Senior in high school.
>When reading aloud some people still need help with larger words.
>Son I am disappoint.

>> No.2642457

>best friend was in all of my high school english classes
>every year convince the teacher to let us sit next to each other
>after about a week the teacher doesn't give a fuck what we do as long as we finish assignments since they realize that we know the material at least as well as them
>reading/goofing off in the corner all day every day
>laugh at the idiots who can't pronounce simple words/read incredibly slowly
High school was awesome.

>> No.2642458

>>2642441
>Senior in high school
>doesn't know what dyslexia is

>> No.2642462

>>2642425
>Sir why can't we just watch a film of Macbeth instead of reading it it's quicker and better.
To be fair, Macbeth is a play. It was meant to be performed.

On the subject of Macbeth, I remember at age 11 getting pissed and some stupid girl who read the witch's line "when the battle's lost and won" as "when the battle's lost OR won", which loses pretty much all the meaning. Yeah I was a pretentious dick.

>> No.2642464

>>2642457
Also,
>have intelligent conversations with teachers every day
>become friends with all of them
I seriously hope you guys did this.

>> No.2642469

>"Oh like we're gonna need to learn how to analyze the themes of some old book in our future. When am I ever gonna need to know this stuff?"

that guy in every damn english class

>> No.2642472

>>2642457
I had this. We got a new teacher half-way through the year one time and she this weird old lady who once came up to us and said "you two are enigmas", because me and my friend spent all of every lesson goofing around at the back of the room and yet still consistently got full marks.

>> No.2642475

>>2642469
More like "that guy in every bottom set english class"

>> No.2642478

>>2642475
>Bottom set english class
OP here, that guy who asked to watch a video of Macbeth was in top set.
And literally everyone but me and my friend were absolutely terribly behaved, and terrible at reading.
It wasn't helping that our teacher was young and female.

>> No.2642481

My last two high-school English classes were APs, but they were filled with the talentless, not terrible interested tryhards that most AP classes are comprised of. Coulda been worse though.

I haven't taken any English classes at Uni yet, thanks to aforementioned AP credits.

>> No.2642487

>>2642478
I still don't believe you have such difficulty accepting that it's worth watching a performance of a play. Plays are meant to be watched, not read. In my opinion, a teacher who expects a class of teenagers to analyze a play without showing them a performance of it, either on stage or on film, is a bad teacher. If it was a novel I would agree with you, but it isn't, so I don't.

>> No.2642488

>"okay anon, your turn"
>keep reading
>"HEY ANON, IT'S YOUR TURN TO READ"
>look up, heave a big old sigh
>flip back twenty pages, one... by one...
>"is this where you guys are at?" :rolleyes:
>read my passage
>never got called on again
yeah, it was pretty pretentious and dickish of me, but god damn, it was high school. people should have known how to fuckin' read by then

>> No.2642489

>>2642472
New teachers are always fun. In my junior year we had a 60-ish year old woman sub for us a lot. Me and my friend would always talk to her about life during the Depression. I don't think she could ever quite tell if we were joking or not.

>> No.2642490

>>2642487
I understand that it is a play and not a novel, but it was the way he was saying it that pissed me off, I probably didn't communicate it well enough.
It wasn't
>Can we watch a film of it because it IS a play
It was
>Why can't we watch a film of it because it's easier and I don't have to think and read things.

>> No.2642495

>>2642441
>that feel when can't say anything disparaging about slow readers because you'll be labeled as a conceited cunt, even though it's perfectly acceptable for them to make fun of a variety of things about me.

it seems like in general, it's taboo to make fun of people for anything academic-related; just another way to keep the nerds down i guess.

>>2642458
not the one you're responding to, but i doubt that every slow reader in my HS lit classes were so due to dyslexia. that would mean that we had a dyslexia epidemic among blacks, and also among people who seem a bit slow in other respects unrelated to reading.

>> No.2642497

>>2642488
Dammit are you me?
>Swapping readers, picking up where we are reading
>My turn, be on the resolution/ending of the book
>Read out, completely spoil everything when everyone was barely 1/4 way in.
>Never called on to read again.

>> No.2642498

I was lucky. Junior and senior years in HS I had two outstanding english teaches. Made the subject come alive. Pure luck.

>> No.2642505

>>2642495
I firgure that, but I was just trying to point out that not everybody is a slow reader by choice. It's like laughing at a kid because he can't dance for shit and then finding out he has a wooden leg.

>> No.2642508

>>2642505
>>2642505
That. Would be. Hilarious

>> No.2642511

>all these retarded nerds who can't figure out why they didn't get their dick wet in highschool

stop being cunts, cunts

$$smokeweedEvErYDaY420$$

>> No.2642529

>>2642508
>mfw I realise that before I would have apologised profusely but after being to 4chan I would probably laugh even harder

>> No.2642550

My A-Level english teacher was awesome. We had this annoying tool that whenever we were doing any poem or anything he would go on for like five hours about the most obvious, literal, or occasionally just plain wrong interpretations of the poem as if they were the deepest shit ever. He and the teacher had this conversation:
>Teacher: [Tool], why aren't you making notes?
>Tool: Um, since I was the one who came up with most of this stuff, I don't think I need to make notes.
>Teacher: Yeah? Well I've marked your last test. You need to make notes.
>Tool sulks in the corner

She also regularly had him moved so he was on the desk in front of her so he was within "striking distance". Whenever he said something dumb he got hit with a book.

He deserved it.

>> No.2642551
File: 3 KB, 126x95, 1335748099534s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2642556

ITT:
>"I am surrounded by uncultured swine!"
Grow the fuck up and stop complaining. If anything, you should lament their unfortunate absence of mind, not ridicule it.

>> No.2642586

There was this guy in my class who could not pronounce any word with more than 6 letters, so he would simply stop for 10 seconds, say "I dont know what this says" and then continue on with the passage.
You can't imagine how fucking annoying it was hearing that dipshit read

>> No.2642607

You guys serious?
In my high school, we'd read an act of Shakespeare, then watch a film version up to the point, this allowed us to discuss and refer to specific passages and lines as well as give us a greater comprehension when we saw an actual performance of it.

>> No.2642609

>>2642607
Really? One teacher did this for us, it was annoying as shit because it fucks up the pacing of both the film and the script. Just leave the damn film running. She also kept talking over the fucking thing too. Stfu bitch.

>> No.2642619

Ive had to sit through my Higher English class this year with people unable to decipher the meaning of detritus from the context it was set in.

Sitting in my chair, gnawing my brain inside out, screaming inside that i just have to answer such a simple question from the teacher to the class, but i dont want to appear like a know-it-all and act like the class is beneath me.

My vocabulary is quite extensive, ill say, but words like detritus shouldnt be out of the reach of people nearing 20 years of age.

GODDAMNIT

>> No.2642630

I had some good English teachers in my time. There was one youngish red-headed Irish guy who actually managed to look good in a trenchcoat who would occasionally force us to reenact scenes from Lord of the Flies and play Orbital over his computer speakers. There was one twenty-something woman who was somehow simultaneously intelligent, feminist and creationist. There were three gay men, one of whom published fantastic translations of Catullus. There was a rather pompous old reverend who didn't give a fuck what they told him to teach and insisted on spelling and grammar tests; his classes ended up with terrible coursework but probably got a better education out of it. Then again, my school was one of the best in the country, so we had pretty good staff. Still had some idiots, though.

>> No.2642632

>>2642619
>Criticizing others for their English skills
>Ive
>i
>ill
>shouldnt
>Terrible sentence structure
ok

>> No.2642644

>>2642632

Im criticising their vocabulary, dipshit. If youre gonna pick on missing punctuation and capitalisation, youve lost the battle and the war. Plus i know my sentence structure is quite bad. My tutor bemoans me for it.

>> No.2642651

>every year of english in middle school and high school
>ALRIGHT CLASS TIME TO READ ALOUD
>FUCK YEAH TIME TO BRING OUT MY AMAZING READING VOICE THAT MAKES ALL DA BITCHES WET
>Ok, "insert typical nigger name" you go first
>can't even fucking pronounce words that you would see in a story from elementary school
>Every
>fucking
>year
At least it was free comedy in the middle of class

>> No.2642652

This isn't so much a problem with other people than it is with myself, but I find English classes difficult. I'm not a very deep person, and tend to think that the simplest conclusion if usually the right one. This makes me very uncreative, though I have great potential for mastering mechanics in writing and I can read every quickly.

Interpreting literature is hard since I can't think very abstractly to consider all kinds of different perspectives and meanings behind it. My lack of creativity always made it difficult to come up with stories to write as well, along with trying to fill in a requirement of paragraphs or pages on a book where I didn't need that much to have all my ideas down. I'd usually just go look up other people's stories and using similar ideas, write my own interpretations. I loved to expand upon short horror stories on /x/ and such.

The problem of course then is that I'm now enrolling in a Creative Writing degree, because a few of my only skills are reading and writing, even when I have more of a passion for visual art and drawing cartoons and such. What do you think I should do about my lack of creativity if I want to be a fiction author?

>> No.2642656

>>2642652
> I'd usually just go look up other people's stories and using similar ideas

Oh don't worry. Every fiction writer does that.

>> No.2642667

>>2642656
Seriously? I was kind of ashamed that I'd take a story like "The Water" from a creepy-pasta thread and turn it into a ten-page short story about a hikikomori and how he falls in love with an underaged girl suffering from PSTD. I even handed it in as my final project in Creative Writing 20 and got I believe a 90-96% on it.

>> No.2642670

>>2642667
PTSD* sorry.

>> No.2642672

>>2642619
Honestly, I don't know what detritus is either. Maybe with some context I'd get it, but it sounds like the wearing down of cells in the body, like an oral disease that eats away at your gums.

>> No.2642673

>>2642464
Whoever doesn't do this (if they have the mental capability) is an asocial dumbfuck, especially with older (i.e. tenured) professors.

I have gotten bumped grades and invites to cool things just by talking to them. I take the bus, but when I run into one of my English professors at the union bus station about the parking garage, I almost always get offered a ride home. I even was asked to present something at a conference because one of my professors liked my ideas about the random shit (he was running it that year) we talk about.

>> No.2642675
File: 38 KB, 146x139, 1330466947198.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642652
>not creative
>Creative Writing major

>> No.2642676

My English classes in high school were consistently dope, probably because I went to a very good Catholic high school & was in the honors track all the way through. Great teachers (big ups to Mr B & Mrs D) and no glaring idiots for the most part. Good times.

English class in grade school sucked, but most of what they were teaching us was "this is how to read a book" and I was plenty good at educating myself in that regard.

>> No.2642678

>>2642673
I usually make friends with my English teachers, and they give me good marks for it. Sometimes though, even if I'm on okay terms with them, they still don't play favourites.

Just today I handed in an essay on Life of Pi, and I'm sure I did really bad, as I wrote the most basic interpretation of a search for identity for it. It was so simple I don't think I even reached the appropriate length for the paper, and wrote far more than what was needed to explain the idea.

Maybe it's more a thing of being friends with a teacher helps me calm down and do well on assignments they give me. People tell me I have a knack for writing, but how I sometimes write garbage and sometimes write decently makes me question their analysis.

>> No.2642681
File: 48 KB, 600x338, 1328918459020.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I went to a private high school. Our classes were around 11-18 people per lesson, making the environment very relaxed and friendly. We called our teachers by their first names. In AP English, everyone read the books, and all of my classmates were competent--those who weren't always got personal help from the teacher until they became better.

We always had very interesting discussions about what we were reading, and sometimes they got a bit heated (our discussion of Brave New World got positively mean-spirited when we started talking about what our perfect world would be like), but we took that as a sign of passion for the topic at hand, rather than general animosity. It was a brilliant class, and we became experts of literary understanding and analysis through it. That class was my reason for picking English as one of my majors.

>> No.2642682

>>2642675
Well, I didn't want to go with just English. I specifically wanted to try to stretch my creative abilities and write fictional work. I can sometimes come up with good ideas, but it just takes quite a bit of time is all since I'm a slow thinker.

Plus I love literature, I don't think I could do any kind of work as well as something I like. My passion for fiction drives me into the field as the next best thing to studying art as I'm not very good at painting or drawing (Though, I'd love to be able to write a comic someday).

>> No.2642696
File: 52 KB, 200x248, 2778055.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642481

>most AP classes are comprised of

>comprised of

>I haven't taken any English classes at Uni yet

You really should, buddy. You really should

>> No.2642706
File: 153 KB, 401x505, 1314033027340.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642644

You're so smart that you can barely write a single sentence in English. Here is a bit of advice: A word alone is as useful as a musical note alone.

>> No.2642718
File: 88 KB, 818x1002, Brainwashing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642682

You should go into technical or professional writing. Writing predominantly literal language to achieve a clear goal sounds like exactly the thing that you would be good at. If you wanted to exercise some creativity, you could go into communications, marketing, journalism, or speech-writing. Those would let you write somewhat creatively without stretching your comfortable boundaries too far, and they would guarantee a job far better than a creative writing degree would. It does not sound like you are well suited for pure creative writing work, though.

>> No.2642730

>>2642718
Honestly, though this may sound reckless, I'm kind of fine dying in misery having tried to achieve a dream than I am living a long life of success. I don't care about material goods very much, and I don't intend to live very long either way. I'd really like to do creative fiction, even if my stories don't sell or never become popular.

I understand that my "talent" lies more in the mechanics of writing, even though I'm slow at developing this talent; but my heart yearns for story, rather than reality. Rather than changing my path to a different ambition, I'm more interested in becoming good at thinking and writing creatively.

>> No.2642731

>>2642730

Well then as long as you want it, you should do well. My advice would be to read a lot. Finish at least one or two books a week. You will start to write fluidly and creatively simply by having become used to the style and the nature of creativity.

>> No.2642732

>>2642730
You should at least realize that this path pretty much precludes things like "having kids" and "home ownership" - it doesn't necessarily preclude being married, but it probably makes it a lot more difficult. And while it may be easy to say that you're not interested in those things now, that has a tendency to change as you grow older.

What I'm trying to say here is that there are valid reasons besides greed or banal materialism which lead people to sacrifice or sell out or whatever you want to call it.

>> No.2642737

>>2642731
Understood, I don't have much experience with literature as I kind of wasted my youth, but I have taken up to constantly reading novels and short stories lately. I also have constant experience with a variety of stories since I watch a lot of Japanese cartoons each season.

>>2642732
You make an interesting point, but I'm kind of living in an irrational world. I'm so dense as to be incapable of accepting reason, even though I have the ability to argue against my beliefs and life perspectives.

Though I'm unsure of "why", I've sensed something that has caused me to acknowledge my life will be shorter than others, and I've dedicated myself to whatever this new destiny may be that will cause my early death. Love and relationships with other people, while having value, are not important to me at the moment. I have given my life to God, and I want to do interesting and exciting things upon Earth to please him, and myself, beyond the confines of traditional living.

>> No.2642744

>>2642737
>I also have constant experience with a variety of stories since I watch a lot of Japanese cartoons each season.
>I'm so dense as to be incapable of accepting reason, even though I have the ability to argue against my beliefs and life perspectives.
>Though I'm unsure of "why", I've sensed something that has caused me to acknowledge my life will be shorter than others, and I've dedicated myself to whatever this new destiny may be that will cause my early death.
>I have given my life to God, and I want to do interesting and exciting things upon Earth to please him, and myself, beyond the confines of traditional living.

... you're a crazy person, aren't you? Well, more power to you, I guess. Good luck with your crazy person shit, I wish you much joy with your writing and all that.

>> No.2642745

>>2642744
Ah, thank you. I'll need all the luck I can get!

>> No.2642747

Honestly, my English classes in High School weren't that bad. In my freshman year I had this insane woman who thought she was God's gift to students everywhere. She was a braggart, and liked to show off the achievements her talented students had won under her enlightened tutelage. She spelled and pronounced "Shakespeare" as "Shaxbread" ("It's just as legitimate as any other spelling, boys and girls! There's no definitive version of the Bard's name!"--as if it were merely another line from a half-recovered Quarto). She once marked me off on a quiz because I wrote that "Augustus" commissioned the Aeneid, because "His full name was Augustus Caesar! How can you expect me to know who you mean if you only say his first name!" (For reference, the Imperator's praenomen--literally "first name"--was Gaius.) Nevertheless, it wasn't all that bad, really. How much can you expect from Freshmen English?

Later on, I had the same instructor for both my Junior and Senior English classes (this was my choice). The class was quite good, I think. Both years, he chose for us a very good selection of literary works, I think, and prepared me well to study at college (university, for my friends across the sea). By senior year the students in the class were all there voluntarily, and I think the level of discussion was quite high. Naturally, everyone could read and speak English proficiently (writing, on the other hand...). The only memory I have of thinking "I'm surrounded by uncultured idiots" was when we read some Virginia Woolf, and nobody appreciated or even tried to understand her.

Still, if my college experience with lit classes had been more like that class, I might've been more interested in pursuing it further.

>> No.2642749

I work in an American public middle school, 7th grade. Heard a stat for our school that blew my fucking socks off but makes perfect sense. The average reading level at our school (7th and 8th grade) was the 3rd grade.

>> No.2642755

>>2642749
That's not really all that uncommon now-a-days.

At my Highschool the Freshman English teachers have difficulty getting their students to read and write because a ton of them were raised in French Immersion and don't have a good knowledge of French, but also didn't start doing school work in English until Grade Five.

>> No.2642760

>>2642667
So they DO admit weeaboos to college.

>> No.2642762

>>2642696
"Most AP classes comprise" would be correct, but his version is wrong.

>> No.2642764

>>2642760
I wouldn't say I'm a weeaboo, I know Japan is a shitty country, I just like some of the media they produce.

It was just the most applicable word next to "shut-in".

>> No.2642766

>>2642764
>recluse

>> No.2642770

>>2642766
Ah, you're right. That's a good word too. I can never think these things up when I need them.

>> No.2642776

>>2642706
>A word alone is as useful as a musical note alone.
That's stupid. Single words are perfectly useful.

>> No.2642779

>>2642770
I use thesaurus.com in those situations. IMO it's preferable to actually write well using "pleb" resources than to come off as a pretentious hipster with a deficient vocabulary.

>> No.2642783

>>2642779
Ah, that's true. I often use a thesaurus when I want to replace a word I use often throughout something I'm writing.

I usually don't do it online though, because my posts are simple and on 4chan they're mainly anonymous. It's a lot of effort for little gain.

>> No.2642787

English was the only class I ever could pull off A grades in... straight C student otherwise

>> No.2642788

ITT: snobby faggots

>> No.2642790

>>2642429

There was a chick in my sociology class who didn't know who Karl Marx or Gandhi was. Actually, most people had never heard of Karl Marx.

In my biology II class a chick didn't know where Antarctica was. 25 years old, didn't know where Antarctica was. Your move OP.

>> No.2642800

>>2642776
I disagree. Aside from conveying the most very basic ideas (Affirmation, disagreement), I don't feel like lone words can be properly used to convey meaning.
Not counting if a single word sentence was used for emphasis after a paragraph or something. Seems like I wouldn't have to say so, but I feel like I'd get called out on it if I didn't specify.

>> No.2642808

>take college english class.
>have to read something for every class.
>the class is then spent discussing it.
>always finish the reading in a few minutes.
>understand it perfectly the first time.
>go to class for "discussions."
>everyone else had to read it 3 times.
>they still have no idea what it's about.
>forced to sit there and listen to their stupid ideas anyway.
>professor occasionally interjects with some obvious observation.
>mfw I haven't learned a single thing the entire semester.

>> No.2642811

>>2642776
If you are a hack.

>> No.2642816

>>2642776
Words are never fine singularly, at least not in the English language. No one with a basic understanding of English would dare to argue otherwise.

>> No.2642819

>>2642783
Same. I used to put more effort into my posts, but these days I conserve my lengthier posts for when I have a really good opportunity to troll someone (rarely, and doing predictable system 32-type jobs is something that should be characterized as plebeian.)
I still save my best posts, though. I guess they're like the book I should be writing.

>> No.2642846

>>2642755
I was brought up on french immersion. We started English in grade 3 but I could read no problem in either language when I learned it in french.

>> No.2642890

>>2642425
My teacher gave up one day and fucking played a video. I was fucking pissed

This is what your tax dollars are being spent on just so you fags know

>> No.2642904

>>2642462
>To be fair, Macbeth is a play. It was meant to be performed.
This is why it took a long time for me to actually do into plays. They're meant to be performed in front of an audience, not for them to scrutinize it in English class

But being that our language has changed so much, we might as well study some fine Shakespeare these days

>> No.2642933

One of the many reasons that makes high school pretty shitty. You may have an interest in English but some faggot who's going to do into accounting for the rest of his life when he realizes he's never going to have a career in football might not. I'm forced to be in the same class as him

Still, being that English is a required class they could at least make sure these shitheads could pronounce a big word by their Senior year. They're too soft

>> No.2643068
File: 64 KB, 469x386, 1289859100267.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642651
THIS FUCKING SHIT.

with the exception of serious learning handicaps, it fucking pisses me off when someone reaches high school and still cannot read even SIMPLE, BASIC PROSE at a natural conversational pace. and then we have to listen to them stumble through Shakespeare, which has all sorts of crazy shit going on.

another issue was one or two people who'd apparently taken it to heart that iambic pentameter is supposed to have alternating high-low stress on each syllable, and so they read in this really unnatural tone, trying to emphasize that. not realizing that it's written that way because it sounds natural; you're not supposed to bend speech to the text, Shakespeare's done the front-end work on this one ladies, just read it like you're reading aloud from your refrigerator's list of warnings and it will sound good.

>> No.2643107
File: 513 KB, 649x489, 1330874224110.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2642425
>At College
>First Year English 151: American Gothic and Transcendental writing
>Teacher asks us what themes would be used as Gothic by first generation writers in America
>Slavery, Inequality, Incest, Corruption come to my mind
>He calls person who raised had slightly before me
>"The Holocaust"
>Class derailed for the rest of the day

>> No.2643110

http://youtu.be/r5wNpr4T_fU

>> No.2643112

>>2643107
thats a bad fucking teacher

somebody brings some stupid shit like that, the teacher has to be able to just say "no, you're wrong, next". or maybe do it more subtly, but cmon teach.

>> No.2643116

>>2643107
>topic derailed at mention of holocaust
sounds like a /lit/ thread.

>> No.2643117

>>2642488
LOL that's awesome!

Downside: Everyone hated you. Still though, it was ridiculous how slow class readings went.

>> No.2643121

That feel when I long for anyone who takes pleasure in the joy of reading.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0a7C67gXw0L

>> No.2643124

>>2642505

Still a weird move to pull the dyslexia card. Seriously doubt any of them had dyslexia.

>> No.2643133

>>2642652

Develop your creativity. You'll have to work harder at it than those of us who just kind of have it (not trying to boost myself - my technical skill bogs my creativity down currently.) Just like we have to work harder at things that don't come naturally to us.

Basically, keep on keeping on. Work at it and it'll get better. Reading more never hurts also

>> No.2643136

>actually have a pretty decent English class because the teacher convinced a bunch of people to be in the school play, so people got into it when we read parts out loud
>there was still one girl who refused to talk with any emotion at all
>if it was supposed to be a long and drawn out shout she'd just say the line normally
>if it was supposed to be angry, sad, happy, or anything, the line was spoken with complete indifference

Luckily she didn't volunteer to read very often, but it usually ruined it for me when she did

>> No.2643138

>>2643112
Eh, he got better at it and the guy who said that was sort of a stupid prick but we didn't know each other then. The class was actually better than I expected it to be given the first day but some stupid shit occasionally got said. The most horrific day in my memory is when we discussed Maggie A Girl of the Streets.

>>2643116
I was thinking /pol/ thread I haven't seen /lit/ get to derailed.

>> No.2643141

>>2643121
I know the feel. It's really frustrating when someone asks me what I'm reading and I want to go into a detailed synopsis of the novel but I know they're just trying to make idle chit chat. I want to sit next to someone who's also reading a book and be able to converse through the words someone else has written and what it means to us.

>> No.2643145

>>2642744
>still thinks people can be labeled as simply "crazy"
>knows nothing about pyschology

>> No.2643149

>>2642776

Single notes can also be perfectly useful.

Man, that analogy kind of falls flat.

>> No.2643156

>end of semester
>public reading
>a guy reads a really bad text that goes nowhere
>it's filled with internet memes and he actually says "U MAD BRO?" and shits like that
>everybody yell and applaud
>another guy puts some soundtrack of a video game and starts "singing" something about a young warrior in a battle against fantastic creatures
>one ulgy slut reads a fucking long texts about her sexual fantasies
>killmenow

Or:
>literature classes
>filled with people asking why do we have to analyse texts
>why do we have to learn literary theories
>why do we need to "rewrite" and work on our texts
>why do we need to read books
>WHY DO WE NEED TO READ FUCKING BOOKS

The majority of arts students are unintelligent, vapid morons who don't care about anything (especially their classes) but themselves.

>> No.2643163

>have speech impediment
>parents don't believe in therapy and refuse to get me help
>mocked mercilessly
>develop fear of speaking
>read constantly, but since I speak so rarely I have no idea how most words longer than one syllable are pronounced
>full retard when called on to read out loud in class

>> No.2643165

>>2643156
>another guy puts some soundtrack of a video game and starts "singing" something about a young warrior in a battle against fantastic creatures

/v/ here
Sorry about that, it was probably one of us

>> No.2643642

>>2642644
>>2642619
>Sitting in my chair
>gnawing my brain inside out
>screaming inside that i just have to answer such a simple question from the teacher to the class
You are a wanker

>> No.2643711

>>2643163
Say 'impediment'.

>> No.2643716

>50 minutes to read a 15 page short story
don't remind me please

>> No.2643741

It was like that from 7th to about 8th grade.

10th to 12th the English classes were ranked according to exam marks so literacy rates were better.

In 12th grade, it got really competitive too since getting a good rank in your classes meant getting a good final admission rank for university.

Combined with the fact that it was a class full of girls, it also meant that pretentiousness was its highest and they would stop to analyse every little thing.

I don't mind analysis, but when someone gets so balls deep into something like the film Blade Runner and starts analysing why Rachel had a bouffant hair style, it made me wish I was in the lower ranked classes so I could enjoy the texts for what they were.

I think this is why I hate Blade Runner.

>> No.2643747

>>2643741
And by sage I meant noko.

What is wrong with me tonight

>> No.2643759

One student used to say "like" so much, that like he could talk for like 30 seconds, and like after every third word he'd like say "like".

The females in that class were all feminists, so whenever the topic of masculinity was raised, it was quite fun to observe their arguements. If I remember correctly, one person made a 15 minute speech about the lack of women and their lack of power in "The Quiet American", this was a while ago, so I don't quite remember what exactly she argued.

>> No.2643792 [DELETED] 
File: 37 KB, 316x421, 255340-ricky-ponting.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

">"Be Ausfailian high school senior.
">"Forced to read a boring derivative piece of shit called Tomorrow when the war began.
">"Mfw young aussies today think it's the greatest piece of Australian Literature ever.