[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 41 KB, 523x472, 1260585284155.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2619945 No.2619945 [Reply] [Original]

Convince me that it's important to be able to think logically.

>> No.2619949

Convince me that outlawing cp is not just forcing people's opinions into actual laws.

>> No.2619951

not literature

>> No.2619954

>>2619949
>>2619949

Well, it is. That's what government does. Social contract and all that.

>> No.2619955

>>2619949
It's generally agreed that exploiting children for the sake of adult...erm...entertainment is a vile thing.

>> No.2619970

>>2619955
>generally agreed
What about pictures of children getting tortured. I think they are legal even though the child can also get "life long traumas".

>> No.2619978

>>2619970
>pictures of children getting tortured
>legal

Okay...

>> No.2619981

>>2619955
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh. good job not reading that guy's post

>> No.2620226

well op, you can always go back to chillin in the trees.

>> No.2620233

Because otherwise you're likely to go around posting pictures of a stick figure eating cereal

>> No.2620420

Being more 'logical' makes u better at good decisions. When people make bad decisions, this sometimes (often) harm themselves and sometimes harm others.

This is why people have a moral obligation to follow the evidence.

http://ajburger.homestead.com/files/book.htm

Random examples:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
http://www.thelocal.se/40250/20120413/

I cud go on and on with examples. Believing without evidence is morally wrong.

>> No.2620466

>>2620420
>>2620420

See, this is what I'm interested in. /lit/ is supposed to have some philosophical types, so I'm curious about what the traditional arguments defending logic would be.

>> No.2620491

It isn't

>> No.2620624

>mfw OP implies he does not think "logically" & everyone starts logical explanaitions.

More people thinking logically in this world = less edge for me.
Logic sucks OP, it's boring, don't do it.

>> No.2620627

>>2620233
It looks like macaroni and cheese to me

>> No.2620643 [DELETED] 

wtf

>> No.2620652

>>2620466
Strictly, speaking, the answer is self-contradictory. The mere (sincerely) asking for reasons for something, is to engage in rational behavior in some sense.

However, there is good reason to be rational, both egoistic reasons and moral reasons. Egoistic reasons is that it makes it easier for one to reach one's goals and avoiding unwanted consequences. For instance, if one has the goal of getting more healthy and one then follows advice from quacks and consequently gets more unhealthy, then one's own lack of rationality has had negative consequences for oneself.

Etc. etc.

Being rational is more than just knowing logic, tho. One wud also need to learn how to discuss properly, how to keep a cool mind and avoid emotional biases. Etc.

>> No.2620653

Logic is like metaphysics, it doesn't have much connection with the real world. Nobody's going to give a fuck about logical fallacies in politics or any sort of discussion.

>> No.2620654

>>2620652
>Strictly, speaking, the answer is self-contradictory.

I meant:
Strictly, speaking, the question is self-contradictory.

The question i'm referring to is: What reason is there to be rational? (from a perspective of someone who wants to decide whether to be rational or not)

>> No.2620657

>>2620653
So much the worse for politics. No surprise that politicians are dishonest, dumb morons. For a more efficient government, one shud use evidence-based policies instead of this ideological crap.

>> No.2620660

Depends on what sort of like you want to live.
If you prefer satisfying yourself with objects that provide instant gratification, and have the means, then logic won't play a major role.
However, a lot of people don't have the means or access to objects of instant gratification (and continued abuse often leads to greed), and neither are most people capable of living on only simple desires (our sense of self being a major source of more complex desires). Attaining means and satisfying complex desires are goals that require long-term planning and commitment, which require the ability to think logically in order to achieve.

>> No.2620664

>>2620657
I voted "blank" for the french elections. My friends don't fucking undertand me when I told them politics should be about making the good logical decisions and nobody is willing to do that...

+10000 internetz man.

>> No.2620785

>>2620664
The more clever option wud have been to note vote at all. That saves u the time. The chance that ur vote will make a difference is so small that it isn't worth the time to go down and vote.

Unless, France has mandatory voting laws, then it might be worth it going down there and voting blank (or whatever).

-

If u care for such matters, there was a recent paper about democracy and how it only results in politicians that were slightly above average. I put it on my blog along with some comments. As u can read, i think the situation is actually worse than that.

http://emilkirkegaard.dk/en/?p=2732