[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 305x475, belljar_l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2605232 No.2605232 [Reply] [Original]

Will a man enjoy this book? Or is it strictly for the females?

>> No.2605234

Btw, I guess I should mention that her poetry does interest me.

>> No.2605237

Yes, a man can. Don't submit to societal assumptions about what a man can enjoy.

>> No.2605252

>>2605237

Yeah, you're right. I do think she can be a little over dramatic after reading some excerpts.

Example:

“I didn’t want my picture taken because I was going to cry. I didn’t know why I was going to cry, but I knew that if anybody spoke to me or looked at me too closely the tears would fly out of my throat and I’d cry for a week. I could feel the tears brimming and sloshing in me like water in a glass that is unsteady and too full.”

>> No.2605253

I found it somewhat difficult to enjoy as a man -there are certainly some good bits of prose, but plot-wise Esther would be that chick in your high school creative writing class who totally killed the mood with her piece on daddy.

If it is indeed "the feminine Catcher In The Rye" as it's sometimes called, it's shit. But it's not, so whatever.

>> No.2605256

It's one of my favorite books. I'm a male.

Not a particularly manly one, but a male nonetheless.

>> No.2605269

>>2605252

It's about being mentally ill.

>> No.2605271

I do like her prose style, it has a flow to it and it's not difficult to read yet it isn't YA level either.

But I have to be honest, there were a lot of times when I just thought, "bitch, shut the fuck up and deal with it"

Like thinking she's going to die because she lost her virginity and started bleeding. OMG CALL A DOCTOR QUIIIICK OMG DER BE NO DOCTOR WHAT DO? Fucking die.

>> No.2605279

>>2605271
I'm pretty sure her bleeding was an irregular reaction

In any case, I thought it was a good read. I found it really easy to relate to. The parts where she's mulling over how she wishes to take many mutually exclusive paths in life were powerful; I thought the fruit tree metaphor was effective.

>> No.2605280

i read it for a class, it got mixed reviews. but if you like her poetry you should definitely read it

>> No.2605286

I dislike her poetry (it's not that great for the most part), but I really enjoyed The Bell Jar.

The book is pretty short too. Not much reason to avoid reading it.

>> No.2605305

Bad Taste Synopsis Presents Sylvia Plath...

Who would have thought,
That a cure for the blues
Would consist of a bell jar
Rammed up your vajoo

>> No.2605314

>>2605305
All right, I'll admit, I chuckled. But don't do it again.

>> No.2605341

I read up until Ester and her hotel mates had become poisoned, because the book was lying on my girlfriends floor and she was at work. I didn't really get bored, I only stopped because I didn't want to read ahead of my lady.

A man can enjoy this book.

>> No.2605344

>>2605341
I think it gets better after the beginning.

I think her flashback bits are the best parts.

>> No.2605582

I'm a guy and I liked it. Was disappointed by her character though. I'm a bit of a prude.

>> No.2606916
File: 27 KB, 200x301, SPLATEXT.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I AM AN HETEROSEXUAL MALE, AND I ENJOYED "THE BELL JAR".

AN EIGHT POINT FIVE OUT OF TEN, ACCORDING TO ME.

I THINK THAT GENDER IS IRRELEVANT TO BE ABLE TO COMPREHEND IT.

IF ONE HAS EXPERIENCED EVENTS & "PSYCHOLOGICAL STATES" SIMILAR TO THE ONES EXPERIENCED BY SYLVIA PLATH, ONE CAN COMPREHEND "THE BELL JAR".

>> No.2606924

>>2606916

>I AM AN HETEROSEXUAL MALE

lies! lies! lies!