[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 572x720, 1334795610422.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2602666 No.2602666 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, do you find yourself constantly looking up the definitions to words? I do, but I have a general rule about it. If I can't define it myself, then I don't know it. It makes reading tedious. What do you guys do?

>> No.2602698

I like looking up words. I think it's fun. Why, just yesterday, I looked up "verdigris" look at that word. That's a beautiful word. And it's so easy now, too.

If you pay attention to context, words you don't know don't are pretty easy to bridge unless you're mixing words up. Then it could get awkward.

If the problem persists to the point that you can't enjoy a book, read a book with less complicated words.

>> No.2602700

Yes, I do the same thing.

>> No.2602733

Of course I do. It's one of the fundamental exercises in becoming a fully literate individual. I usually just look up unknown words on dictionarydotcom, but if I find the word very interesting, I'll open up my Oxford Universal Dictionary and search for it.

>> No.2602753
File: 11 KB, 297x317, 21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2602733
What a gentleman.

>> No.2602779

>>2602698
But that's the thing, the context is an unnecessary crutch. Occasionally, you're given a word that's just barely in context, or just plain incomprehensible. You can get general idea, but that isn't good enough in these scenarios.

>>2602733
>It's one of the fundamental exercises in becoming a fully literate individual.
Well, right, I wasn't saying anything to contradict that. I understand everyone does it (how couldn't you?), but I mean the general method you people use. You'd be a God among men if you could learn every word in your vocabulary from context alone.