[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 56 KB, 348x480, Portrait_de_Jacques_Lacan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2594284 No.2594284 [Reply] [Original]

sup /lit/,

I know Marx had the 'dialectal materialism' thing and Lacan had the 'imaginary, symbolic, and real' thing. But these guys and their ideas are pretty old, and I'm guessing the academy has moved on. Plus, I'm not keen on Lacan or psychology in general.

I'm having trouble finding or digging up the new stuff though.

Anyone have any leads?

>> No.2594288

OH, LOOK, ANOTHER THREAD ATTEMPTING DISCUSSING "MARX", IN THE YEAR TWOTHOUSAND TWELVE.

>> No.2594324

>>2594288
I'm asking about the new ideas. Help me move on.

>> No.2594394

Deleuze maybe

>> No.2594417

>>2594288

Oh, look at me, I'm a nazi I'm so edgy.

OP, dialectical materialism is the best tool for understanding history and philosophy you will ever find. Just because something is old doesn't make it inferior. Marx's developments are just as valid today as they were one hundred years ago.

>> No.2594522

>>2594284
>>2594417

OP, you seem to be working with an assumption even older than Marx, which is that history is essentially progress. New doesn't mean better. Also, this guy is right. Listen to him.

>> No.2594550
File: 121 KB, 1113x768, gilles_deleuze_2_h.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lyotard, Deleuze, Guattari, Foucault, Laclau, Mouffe, Butler, etc

But I would really recommend you start from the bottom and work your way up. You can do this on your own at a university then just decide for yourself what to beliebe instead of just going with what's "hip" or "in" or whatever.

Analytic philosophy may also be on interest to you establishmentarian careerist sorts. In which case you'll have to get into the logical positivists like Russel, Moore and of course Wittgenstein.

I myself am a disciple of Hegel and a Marxist and I get along just fine.

>> No.2594566

>>2594550
>logical postivists like Wittgenstein
5/10, subtle

>> No.2594585

The academy didn't move on because it never properly accepted either of those thinkers. You've got to remember the academy is part of the power structures of society.

>> No.2594667

Interesting, thank you for your responses all, I will look into some of these names.

What I'm looking for are other means by which ideas become are transformed or become real. I mean, the relationship is pretty clear in dialectal materialism. And Lacan's symbolic opens up semiotics or things like Baudrillard's simulacra. So is there anything else?

Pataphysics seems too narrow to be useful.

>> No.2594745

>>2594550

Butler ????

>> No.2594756

>>2594745

American Jew.

>> No.2594774

There's a "sexy" new philosophical movement called speculative realism. Looks like a waste of time to me.

You should probably read Hegel instead.

>> No.2594799

Why don't you just back track a bit and read Lao Tzu and then you can

STFU!

>> No.2594807

At least in the US, the 'Academy' mainly practices analytic philosophy, not continental philosophy. That is because they are interested in actually trying to understand things, rather than achieving the mere appearance of depth through needless obscurantism.

Analytic philosophy also has the advantage of being a truly live tradition in philosophy, whereas continental philosophy is now largely history of philosophy, on the one hand, and 'celebrity' philosophy, like Zizek, on the other.

If you want some new, cutting-edge stuff, read Stalnaker, Lewis, Williamson, Chalmers, and so on.

>> No.2594815

>>2594417

genealogy and micropower is superior for advanced capitalism.

>>2594667

deleuze and guattari is what you are looking for

>> No.2594842

>>2594807
>At least in the US, the 'Academy' mainly practices analytic philosophy, not continental philosophy.

I'm in france.. same here. We have modules about "continental philosophy".. but nobody takes it seriously