[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 153 KB, 500x757, jane.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2583489 No.2583489 [Reply] [Original]

I know for a fact most of you fuckers probably haven't read this - but it's amazing. Seriously. It's a total masterpiece.

This from a guy who's into Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.

>> No.2583493

what does your liking spec fiction have to do with it?

but yeah, I fucking love this book. I really find it extremely well-written.

>> No.2583495

Agreed.

"Wuthering Heights" is astounding, as well.

>> No.2583502

No it's not. It's stupid, melodramatic, farfetched, and Jane is not a good feminist role model, she nearly gets herself killed and needs to rely on the kindness of others to protect her from her own stupidity.

>> No.2583505

Recommend me classics written by men, thanks

>> No.2583519

Ehhhhhhhhhhh.....
Victorian writing style is eloquent to say the least, but this book was just too... trashy, for me.
Please don't be insulted, though you probably will be, I honestly don't mean to offend. It's just that everything about that book was so overdone, like a soap opera. Sure, they got Jane's faith in God guiding her to happiness right, but the mechanics by which she reached the end were so cheesy. The insane wife in the attic? The whole wedding scene? She just happens to stumble into her cousins house out of chance?
And the picture perfect ending.... I dunno... It was all dumb to me.

>> No.2583530

>>2583519
Also, to be honest, I think the only reason it is so often praised and taught is because it was written by a woman. And while that's not entirely fair, and it does sort of portray the idea of Victorian Feminism, I still don't think it was that great a piece of literature, and don't think I could have taken away any sort of understanding about how women should behave/be treated, but that could just be because of my modern standpoint.

>> No.2583531

>>2583489
> It's stupid, melodramatic, farfetched

Farfetched? In what way? In that there are coincidences? How is it stupid? Is the plot stupid?

>Jane is not a good feminist role model

Why not? Keep in mind that "feminism" as we understand it hadn't really been formulated at the time of Bronte's writing (although Wollstonecraft's Vindication had already been published).

I think Jane Eyre is one of the shining moments in Victorian literature, a novel that doesn't deplete its energy over the course of its length, fuels all sorts of different readings of the text, and is well-written.

>> No.2583532

OP: You're right. It is. Ignore the samefag below. Recommended to anyone who isn't afraid of feeling someone, afraid of believing in a narrative, or afraid of women.