[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 307x475, norwegian-wood2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2579428 No.2579428 [Reply] [Original]

Just finished this yesterday but it left me with some open questions.
What happens in the end? Did he die? Could he ever find Midorin?
What happened to Storm Trooper (Watanabes roommate)? Or rather what function did he have in the story? Is he representing some kind of literary device I'm unaware of?

>> No.2579625

At the end, he is back together with Midori. You know this because she finally accepts to meet up with him. Storm Trooper served as a mocking of a certain aspect of Japanese culture; that is the "suits." Murakami considered himself a rebel of japanese culture back in his youth. And, Watanabe is gone from the story, vanishing just like the suits are now in japan.

>> No.2579629

>>2579428
Oh, and he obviously didn't die in the end, as the entire story is a memory he is having in an airport at the age of 37

>> No.2579744
File: 69 KB, 450x298, murakamiSad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It is implied that he got back together with Midori.

Like >>2579629 said, he didn't die. It's not clear if he stayed with Midori for very long because he is alone on the plane in the beginning of the novel, although it is certainly possible she just wasn't on the trip for some reason. I'd like to think that he got back together with her but it eventually broke apart (certainly their relationship seemed flawed).

>> No.2579885

>>2579744
Yeah, I seem more drawn to the tragic ending as well. It just wouldn't fit the flow of the story if things turned out alright for Toru!

>> No.2581261

bump

>> No.2581318

Stormtrooper was just a comedic punching-bag for Murakami.

>>2579744
To be fair, he was going to Germany on business, I believe.