[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 460x429, 4dR12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2577810 No.2577810 [Reply] [Original]

Did you ever read a "self help" book that "spoke" to you?

It counts if you were an impressionable teenager.

Did you disregard all the helpful real life tips it gave solely because this board told you to?

>> No.2577815

that fucking pic.

>teacher doesn't know what author meant
>student does

>:(

>> No.2577913

>>2577810

>simplistic picture theory of language and correspondance theory of truth

Who cares what the author meant. You can never know it and you shouldn't try to. All that matters is what the book means to you and to recognize it as such.

>> No.2577930

>>2577810
Bible, 7 years old. Specifically, Jesus talking about the old woman who gave all she had compared to the people who gave only what they could afford. Probably the Will to Power when I was 16 too, although, I now know that as far as popular consensus goes, I completely misinterpreted it.

No.

>> No.2577941

>>2577913
Our aim unintentionally and inevitably moves in the direction of discerning aurthorial intent since the author is the one that invented the concepts and laid them down in the first place. Authorial intent matters because we are implicitly decoding the authors work. But I agree that after the work is interpreted, although they may protest, the author can have very little say in how it is received.

>> No.2577962

>>2577941

I'll buy that with the caveat that interpretation never is at a 1:1 correspondence with authorial intent.

>> No.2577963

>>2577941

>since the author is the one that invented the concepts and laid them down in the first place.

Unless they invented the entire language in which they're writing, this isn't true.

Hell, it might not even be true then.