[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 13 KB, 261x193, manexcited.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2574659 No.2574659 [Reply] [Original]

1. This is the most common. It's such disgusting, horrible, useless 'literature' that I won't ever finish it, and so it gets put where I won't have to look at it, and get...upset.

2. Fat books. Stuff over 800 pages perhaps, because although I own some good shit that's long, it's just too much for the bookcase.

3. Hardcovers. Some good and some bad, but too damn heavy and tall for my shelves. A shame, cuz some rock. My copies of Under The Dome and The Pale King are 'trapped' in The Attic.

Everything else gets to go on my 3 shelves, the main one and the 2 support shelves.

So /lit/, how do you divide up your stuff?
Another thing. What do you think about the ethics of this situation? I want to get a birth present for someone I know, but am VERY strapped for cash. I'm thinking of getting a specific book of my bookcase and wrapping it up, ostensibly as new.

Cons: Bad form; they don't read much anymore

Pros: Barely touched the book so it's almost new; you can't TELL I've read a few pages; the person used to like the author, but I dunno if they still do.

What do you think?

>> No.2574674

Nobody gives a shit. Fuck off.

>> No.2574677

>Fat books
WAAAAAAAAAAH I DON'T LIKE LOTS OF PAGES WAAAAAAAAAAAAH IT MAKES MY WEAK BALSA WOOD BOOKCASE SAGE WAAAAAAAAAAAH

>Hardcovers
WAAAAAAAAAAH THIS BOOK IS HEAVY WAAAAAAAAAH MY FAT WRISTS CAN'T HOLD IT WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH MY POOR BOOKCASE

No book belongs in the attic. None. Display them all proudly in a manner befitting a real bookcase. Point them out to people. Let people know their value.

>> No.2574678

>>2574674

At least answer the second question.

>> No.2574688

My rack of 5 shelves goes as such
Bottom shelf which is essentially the floor:
Speakers and main section of my Hi-Fi (has the EQ and track control though I don't have the 6-CD player attached)
First shelf:
Record player and books that I've read recently or am going to start reading soon, there's really only about 14" of space here, so it's only got books I've read this year and nearly full. (catalogued alphabetically by author surname and then chronologically by release)
Second shelf: CD and Record collection (catalogued alphabetically by artist and chronologically by release)
Third shelf: All my other books, not catalogued mostly stuff I read in my teens/pre-teens: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Children's fantasy and sci-fi
Fourth shelf: Guiness World Record books, autobiographies, Christmas decorations
Fifth shelf (reaching the ceiling): Christmas tree and more decorations.
I have a vertically descending blind which I often roll down to cover the third and fourth shelf.

>> No.2574697

>>2574677

Although I didn't explicitly say it (although it should be obvious to anyone with half a brain), I also put books in the attic because there's no room on my other bookshelves. The 3 reasons are just more specific reasons. God.

>> No.2574702
File: 78 KB, 300x361, photo_pdf2._V188698959_.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>2013
>using books made of thin wood sheets

>> No.2574703

>>2574697
>no room on bookshelf

Stack that shit on the floor nigga

>> No.2574726

If its a good book it doesnt matter if its new or old.
Books are great gifts. Go for it OP!

I dont put any books in the attic, but i have turned one of the many closets in my apartment in to a bookshelf. But its pretty deep so I've hidden the bad books behind the better ones.
Twilight goes in the back, I dont want to display them. I'd rather not have people know I even own them.

>> No.2574750

>>2574726

Just toss them or sell them to a used book store. Don't keep that kind of shit just lying around.

>> No.2574755

>>2574750
Some times you need bad writing to have something to compare things against.

Every now and then I pick one of them up and laugh at it.
Then I remember that even if I write a better book it'll never sell a copy.
And then I curse the gods!

>> No.2574756

get money, get paid

that's my opinion, OP. Try not to inhale any more cock on your way out of here.

>> No.2574780
File: 8 KB, 200x186, 1334209257726.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>sunhawk thread

>> No.2574822

fuck.yourself.sunhawk.you. aut.i.s.m.a.l s.a.n.d.nigger.

>> No.2574832
File: 28 KB, 500x499, bateman3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2574780

>Sunhawk thread

>> No.2574924

>>2574659

Just give that someone that book OP. But make sure that you write something nice/funny/memorable on the first page.

Don't hide that it is from your own bookshelf, reveal it in the inscription that you looked at that specific book in your collection, remembering that it was once one of their favorite authors, and that you hope this gift will make them read again.

I'm a sucker for mushy stuff like that.

>> No.2574931

ahlly'yoop for the SLAM-DUNK