[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 9 KB, 350x490, Harold Bloom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2569360 No.2569360 [Reply] [Original]

I realized a while ago that I'm an extremely boring person. Why you ask? Well I think it's (partly) because I have basically no hobbies outside of reading. Whenever someone asks what my hobbies are, that's literally the only thing I can put down without being disingenuous.

This is probably an asinine question, but what are some good hobbies, besides reading?

>> No.2569372

I'm pretty dull myself. Music, books, I specialized in inactivity. Take up something mildly productive. Sculpting, or some basic DIY. Make little gifts for your friends.

>> No.2569375

Well, Dr. Bloom, I've always been very keen on sexual intercourse.

>> No.2569424

What do you like to read about? If you don't mind powering through some dullish how-to books or hobby magazines, you can start looking at hobbies that way. Read about knitting, fencing, art, whatever you feel like. Art usually goes over pretty well with readers, since it's another (mostly) sedentary activity that feeds the imagination. If you want to be more active, fencing is fun and attracts academic/intellectual types. If you don't mind bumping up against some more extreme personalities, archery can be interesting too. Anything you find interesting to read about would be a good candidate.

It's also a good shot to try out anything your friends do for fun with them. If you've got a friend who plays rec team sports, try joining them for a casual game. Even if you suck at first, it's worth a try. If you want to play sports in a lower-pressure environment, try out something less common, like broomball or curling. Usually the people involved in those locally won't be experts either, so you're all learning and improving together. There are a lot of possibilities out there.

>> No.2569426

I dance.
Girls seem to like physical hobbies.

>> No.2569433

Start Parkour, OP.

People will find you interesting as fuck when you are strong as hell and jumping off buildings.

Also, look into free climbing. Bitches love a man who ain't afraid of heights.

>> No.2569434

Music is an excellent hobby, creating as well as listening.

Artwork's another one.

If you want a hobby that you can use to instantly familiarize with others on, you have sports. Honestly sports bore me to tears. Your choice.

>> No.2569448

Martial arts.

>> No.2569466

reading, homemade fireworks, breaking stuff, night walking, hiking, watching people, petty theft, crossword puzzles, movies, running

>> No.2569489

I like to build plastic scale models of historic aircraft

And I draw. Shit that's it. Whatever. Maybe I'll find a nice boring girl.

>> No.2569492

>>2569466
>watching people
brofist

oh and movies don't count, mate

>> No.2569497

I used to play the guitar, like every guy in the world, but I don't do it anymore.

All of my hobbies are passive now, well is not like I need something to fill my time since the Uni takes most of my time.

>> No.2569530

>>2569466
Back in my day we called hiking "attitudinally
volatile walking"

>> No.2569539

Hiking is always a good hobby to have. Movies, food, and art are also pretty good.

Really it all comes down to personal preference. I spend a lot of time writing, because my stuff has been published before.

tl;dr There isn't any good hobbies, just hobbies you enjoy. Ya gotta go out and try new stuff to find what sticks with you.

>> No.2569561

Does masturbation counts a s a hobby?

>> No.2569569

>>2569561
It's more like a job. That you don't get paid for.

>> No.2569576

>>2569569
Only if you take it that way. Masturbation can be quite the hobby, developing your motor skills, imagination and aesthetic seance.

>> No.2569586

I also build scale models. I also really like art but I could never sacrifice reading time to get better at drawing. Chess is a good one too. Billiards. Fuck we have a whole board dedicated to Origami. I personally find cocaine to be pretty much the opposite of boring, but don't get addicted to it, because that's really boring.

>> No.2569587

The best hobbies are creative ones. Constructive ones are also pretty solid, but anything involving consumption shouldn't even be called a hobby.

For instance, even reviewing movies can be a hobby. Watching movies is not.

>> No.2569601

Problem: I live in San Bernardino. Is there a solution other than "get the fuck out."

>> No.2569607

>>2569586
poster of
>>2569489

favorite model you've built? Mine is either my Me262 or my huge 1:48 scale B-29.

>> No.2569638
File: 17 KB, 460x276, Hmmm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2569607

> 1:48 scale B-29

Impressive.

>> No.2569639

I love collecting old books, and enjoy just exploring bookshops, it's kind of a hobby. Plus the you know video games, movies, reading etc. I also have a specific interest in medieval history.

>> No.2569647

reading is a fine hobby, you just lack the confidence and charisma to talk about it in an engaging way.

>> No.2569649

running
biking long distances
hiking
playing a sport in some semi-organized way
chess
8-ball
eating at/finding good, cheap restaurants
exploring fucked areas of your city (if american, perhaps too dangerous)
fucking in weird positions or places
drinking/finding good beers
learning languages
learning to code

>> No.2569652

>>2569649
also, doing all kinds of drugs (including the weird ones)
learning to cook

>> No.2569657

>>2569647

You have to admit though, many people find reading boring, no matter how excited or passionate you try to be about books they're not interested.

>> No.2569664

>>2569657
There's also the fact that reading is about as solitary a hobby as you can get. And if you're into anything not mainstream it's near impossible to find anyone to discuss the books with outside of places like this.

>> No.2569671

Pick up a half decent programming language, and create something inspired by your reading.

>> No.2569682

at least your only hobby isn't playing video games

>> No.2569791

>>2569682
> at least your only hobby isn't playing video games

In my experience, doing that can be a rather socially useful thing to do. Many people I know IRL I know through learning to know them from playing computer games with them using Skype.

>> No.2569797

>>2569433
>implying everyone didn't laugh at the parkour kids in high school

>> No.2569824
File: 331 KB, 1600x1200, 1320235465501.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Making music is easy as fuck
Even if you can't be bothered to learn theory, anyone can make lowercase, harsh noise, ambient, and most EDM on a computer with no musical knowledge
i recommend it

>> No.2569826

Playing music, writing, filmmaking, photography, etc.

>> No.2569870
File: 23 KB, 231x422, nabokov2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lepidopterology.

>> No.2569878
File: 300 KB, 500x650, Travis_Bickle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2569466
>watching people
Do make sure you can swiftly depart from the scene if the cops appear or if she starts yelling.

>> No.2569879

I don't think I can help you much, OP. I don't consider myself very exciting either.

But I think I'm on the right path. I used to count only video games, internet and music as my hobbies.
I got back into books some time ago, I took up running and weightlifting (amateurishly) last year and I'd like to continue these more seriously and with more effort.
Since I love good food, I want to learn how to cook and do it better than I do it now.
Dancing is something I want to get inro, but I have no idea where I want to start.
In the long term, I'd also like to add gardening, skydiving and aviation to that list.

Then there's the interest in art and design I've always had - I'm not really doing anything with that in the moment and I want to change that, I just don't know in what direction.

Hobbies that involve physical activity and have a social element would work best for I reckon. Sports are obvious, if you're not into team sports (I know I'm not) there are always things like climbing, diving or hiking that are often done in groups.

>> No.2569881

I like to build things out of paperclips and rubber bands, i have quite the collection at home.

>> No.2569883

>>2569489
>>2569586
Oh oh, I also used to build models. Not well though since I never got into airbrushing, so the paint job was always a little sloppy.
I haven't built anything in years but I enjoyed it for the time being. There are still two boxed kits in my basement that I'd like to finish some day, an A-10 and a B-52, both 1/72.