[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 304x500, 055327449X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2552040 No.2552040 [Reply] [Original]

Did anyone else read this book? If you did, which are your favorite short stories?

My favorite is probably either the one where they're on the Planet that Constantly rains (Venus? I don't recall) or the one where they're all talking as they float off into space.

Also, if anyone read it, do you think that in No particular Night or Day that the man going crazy is supposed to represent an Atheist, or is it more a short story about the descent into insanity/what space can do to you?

I know there were a lot of other stories focusing on Religion, but I really didn't know what to make of this one (It was one of my favorites, though).

>> No.2552057
File: 28 KB, 200x256, ADLHD V.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

MY FAVORITE STORY FROM "THE ILLUSTRATED MAN" IS "ZERO HOUR".

>do you think that in No particular Night or Day that the man going crazy is supposed to represent an Atheist, or is it more a short story about the descent into insanity/what space can do to you?

WHETHER THE MAN WAS AN "ATHEIST" OR NOT, IS IRRELEVANT TO THE STORY WHICH IS ABOUT A MAN HAVING A "NERVOUS BREAKDOWN".

I DO NOT SEE HOW WOULD YOU BE "CONFUSED". YOU MUST BE "STUPID".

>> No.2552061

>>2552057
i don't like short stories

you just start getting into them, and then they end.

>> No.2552062

>>2552057

Wow you must be a moron, do you know what symbolism is? The book has a lot of it. God damn, if you're going to trip don't be an Autistic fuck.

>> No.2552069

>>2552062
Um, you'll find out that /lit/ is not a board which accepts pretentious rambling that you might find in an english class.

"symbolism" is a load of shit.

>> No.2552070

>>2552061

I know... everytime I get to the last or second to last page I can always tell and I'm like "DAMN IT"

>> No.2552074

>>2552069

But there is symbolism in this book, is the author pretentious for putting it in?

I agree with you, people can take their analyses of symbolism way too far and look at things under a microscope, but the author can also make the symbolism more obvious, so fuck off.

>> No.2552079

Was he the one who wrote that story about the guy dying and becoming a disembodied mind who is tasked to think of something or another by God? Or the story about the computer that became God after the death of humanity? That shit was rockin' if it was him.

Might've been Asimov though, I don't remember.

>> No.2552081

>>2552074
Either the author put it in deliberately or you are making up nonsense.

Both ways are irrelevant to look at because the authors don't have any fancy life experience or wisdom.

>> No.2552084

>>2552079

I haven't finished the book yet so I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows.