[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.68 MB, 2942x1958, Ernest_Hemingway_Aboard_the_Pilar_1935.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2549453 No.2549453 [Reply] [Original]

I would like to start off by saying that I began reading Hemingway (For Whom the Bell Tolls, Farewell to Arms, The Sun Also Rises, The Old Man and the Sea) when I was very young (about 14 or 15). I've always enjoyed reading Hemingway, and he has sort of been the staple of my literary diet who I go back to every once in a while when I want to read something familiar.

However, I started getting into some other stuff, mostly philosophy, for a while, and I hadn't read much fiction at all. After I picked up For Whom the Bell Tolls a couple of days ago, I still enjoyed it, but it seems extremely simple and somewhat lacking in what we seem to think of today as "good writing". It isn't particularly witty or innovative, and Hemingway switches into the 2nd person for more often than I would usually be comfortable with.

My question is, since I'm really not much of a writer myself, what is it that makes Hemingway so much fun to read compared to more technically expressive and witty authors? Why don't more authors try to emulate him?

>> No.2551244

symbolism, icebergs, etc.