[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.61 MB, 1346x1268, 1330471568769.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2544593 No.2544593 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/, what do I need to read in order to become wittier? I figure that maybe pic is related, but I don't really know where to start. I've read The Importance of Being Earnest to peices, and I'm reading Catch-22 right now, but I really want to find a list of books that are not only humorous, but help the reader develop a sense of humor as well. I help a couple of bros write a college satirical newspaper, and while our articles are acclaimed across campus, I feel like I'm loosing touch and that the quality of my writing has gone down. Any suggestions?

>> No.2544600

Reading humorous books does not help one become humorous. The best thing you can do is have a strong general knowledge and knowledge of current events, and a strong understanding of both.

>> No.2544604

Increased socialization and education

>> No.2544617

>>2544593
>no Kingsley Amis

Lucky Jim should be on that list. And remove Pride and Prejudice, that's the template for Mills and Boon, not humour.

>> No.2544620

candide

>> No.2544625

>>2544617
...Lucky Jim is on that list.

>> No.2544630

Finnegans Wake will make you see puns everywhere.

>> No.2544629

>>2544600
>>2544604
These anons are both somewhat right. Take it with a grain of salt from someone who's somewhat successfully gone on the same quest as OP:

Reading humor doesn't help. Knowing how to analyze humor DOES however, and applying that analysis to humorists will help you draw some conclusions on how to be funny.

Because you're trying to be witty in writing, I would downplay the socialization bit. You need to know timing in how it affects a joke, but you don't need to know it to the extent that you have perfect timing subconsciously.

Anyway, the most important thing is to find comedians you like and to try and take their style. Focus on 'comedian/s/'. You can combine multiple styles to come up with something that's ultimately fresh. You can try to be 100% original, in which case, good luck. You'll only stumble upon something someone else did earlier with the obvious downside of not knowing how that went for them.

Apologies if this sounds a bit elementary, I don't know if you had a history of humor or your articles were your first attempt.

Good luck in your endeavor.

>> No.2544635

>>2544629
>somewhat...somewhat
I'm a bit preoccupied with other matters, if you can't tell.

>> No.2544640

>>2544630
I really hate to ask an off-topic question in someone else's thread, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. I've yet to read it, but I have asked around regarding Finnegan's Wake a few times, and the only thing I ever get out of people is that it's difficult to read. Does the book have no other merits than difficulty (if that even can be considered a merit)?

>> No.2544645

>>2544640
No, it's just that upon reading it the first time, it shoves its difficulty in your face. And the second. And the third. And every other time you finish it because, like a cylinder, it curves back onto itself and you have to read it again and again.

And it really is difficult. It is really difficult. I'd say that you pretty much have to use outside resources to understand it, but that may just be the inner pleb in me seeking justification.

>> No.2544661

>>2544640
Yes, some passages are absolutely beautiful, and rank up there with the best English prose ever written.
Also, if you can manage to get most of the meanings out of any single phrase, you will realize how utterly clever Joyce was in constructing his language. There's all kinds of references to high and low culture, puns, allegories, echoes of phrases from earlier in the book, and much more. If there's a way that you can play or have fun with language, Joyce has done it.
If you're curious, listen to the author himself reading a bit of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOQi7xspRc

>> No.2544782

Woody Allen's books are pretty awsome and funny, especially getting even

>> No.2544797

If you ain't read The Phantom Tollbooth in kindergarten you're never gonna become witty.

Having said that, some witty writers I've enjoyed in the past year: PG Wodehouse, Peter Carey, Zadie Smith, Evelyn Waugh, Oscar Wilde of course

>> No.2544825

Dorothy Parker and H.L. Mencken (in particular) are a must.

And Apathy should be taken down.

>> No.2545007

>>2544593
oops. for real this time.

>> No.2545514
File: 974 KB, 200x165, 1324855330407.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here, thanks for tips guys, I appreciate it. One last bump for anyone else who wants to add in anything.

>> No.2545527

If you count dark humour, Celine should be there

And who the fuck read Five Women Who Loved Love?

>> No.2545549

Killing yourself would be the best option.

>> No.2545581

>>2544593
>i feel like i'm loosing touch
>loosing touch
>loosing