[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 300x396, 1285821864650.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2542445 No.2542445 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/ This small section is from Immanuel Kants book the Critique of pure reason. I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain what this small section means in easier English, English is not my frirst language and its hard for me to understand it completely

]verything intuited or perceived in space and time, and therefore all objects of a possible experience, are nothing but phenomenal appearances, that is, mere representations, which in the way in which they are represented to us, as extended beings, or as series of changes, have no independent, self-subsistent existence apart from our thoughts. This doctrine I entitle transcendental idealism. (Critique of Pure Reason, A491, B520)

>> No.2542453

Good luck, no ones going to understand or help you with that.

>> No.2542458

>>2542453
yeah I thought so :( haha

>> No.2542460

All objects of possible experience are mere representations and we cannot say that mere representations have any existence independent of our thoughts.

Good fucking luck reading Kant in your non-native language.

>> No.2542461

>>2542460
lol thanks, im trying best :P So thats all that it means?

>> No.2542464

It is addressing the age-old philosophical issue of whether objects "of the world" really exist independent of us, or, more correctly, whether we can ever know whether they exist independent of us just based on the fact that we perceive them.

Kant takes the stance that objects given to the understanding through perception are merely representations and cannot furnish us with information on the objects "in themselves," either their existence or otherwise. We cannot know "true" reality, only what we have in our understanding.

>> No.2542470

It's quite similar to the metaphysical world of Plato.

What's your native language, OP?

>> No.2542472

God , English isn't my first language and that was pretty easy, but other parts of the book are going to kill you. First start reading him in your native language or you are going to die.

>> No.2542476

>>2542472
Also, starting with the Critiques is quite hard. You should start with something else.

>> No.2542478

What Kant's saying: Transcendental idealism is the belief that everything we experience exists in our minds.

>>2542460 said it best

>> No.2542483

Don't worry OP, Kant is not unexplainable if you take the time to carefully read all the definitions he lays out in his book, especially at the start.

Here he just describes Berkeley's idealism in his own vocabulary. He uses this vocabulary because he wants to show how HIS idealism (transcendental idealism) differs from the idealism everybody knew before (Berkeley's).

>> No.2542487

>>2542464

>Everything intuited or perceived in space and time, and therefore all objects of a possible experience, are nothing but phenomenal appearances, that is, mere representations, which in the way in which they are represented to us, as extended beings, or as series of changes, have no independent, self-subsistent existence apart from our thoughts. This doctrine I entitle transcendental idealism. (Critique of Pure Reason, A491, B520)

shit happens

>> No.2542512

>>2542470
French

>> No.2542519

>>2542472
I moved to a province where its all english and i must write this paper in english :P although its not due for another month id like to get ahead since it is hard for me.

>> No.2542526

Thankyou everyone you were great help!
>>2542470
I also speak german well (: