[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 200x284, 200px-100years.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2540744 No.2540744 [Reply] [Original]

What does /lit/ think of magical realism? In particular, 100YoS.

Also, I have a bit of a road trip tomorrow. I suck at reading in a car and at best can only muster like 50% of my full attention so I want a light book. I'm assuming it's a light read because it's so massively popular, but if not, let me know.

>> No.2540755

>>2540744
It is not a light read. The 20 different characters or so is basically named the same. When I read it (pocket) the formatting was rather dreadful as well.

I'd suggest something like vonnegut, steinbeck or hemingway, kafka or camus

>> No.2540757

>>2540755
Thanks for the heads up.

I'm guessing that the context at least makes it obvious who's who?

>> No.2540776

>>2540757
>>2540757
Not really. Since they are all brothers and sisters, fathers and sons, moms and daughters living under the same roof. Anyway don't think about all that , it'll ruin your read.

>> No.2540786

I won't say there is no merit in the style itself, but every time I pick up some, I always find myself frustrated. Perhaps I merely need a more open mind.

>> No.2540802

Cien años de soledad is an easy read actually, for some at least. The first two chapters, I went through them easily, in Spanish of course. You know, I could however, tell, why people think this "Magic Realism" has anything magic about it, thus far, it's reality seen through the eyes of people [of the time]. I assume the book will be like this for quite a while until turning into metaphysical fiction, perhaps reality from the point of view of a dead person. Overall though, it's the psyche of individuals that's making the story up through a narrator of course, you know, this work is also a comedy, the humor is just there all over... I can tell this from the first two chapters!

And yes, the context does make it obvious who is who, and characters are not that easily mistakeable just because they are family members.

This book's dificulty has greatly been overrated, don't fall for it OP.

>> No.2540868

I just finished that, OP. You will need to reference the family history occasionally and recall a short history of each person every so often to understand the importance of what so and so did (unless you have an excellent memory). For example, towards the end when my mind was becoming overburdened with all the personal histories, it came down to Jose Aureliano Segundo and Jose Arcadio Segundo. There we two other characters with those first and middle names that had been born in previous generations, but the traits of each had swapped in the present one (the previous one's Jose Arcadio was tall and outgoing, this one's was short and reserved, like Jose Aureliano of the prior generations).

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, just wanted you to get a grasp of what you were talking about was like as you were reading it.

It's a good read. The Spark Notes analysis is a good companion for the first couple chapters while you get your bearing about what magical realism is all about. After that, I would advise developing your own interpretation before consulting it (if SN is your cup of tea in the first place, that is).

>> No.2541014

Great read op, I love Magical Realism, very refreshing after reading lots of classics. Would you like some recommendations?

>> No.2541027

>What does /lit/ think of magical realism?
contradictio in adjecto but it is at least a lot more plausible sounding than 'wetback fairy tales'

>> No.2541038

>>2541027
>'wetback fairy tales'

8/10 would laugh again

>> No.2541059

Latin-american oral tradition watered down and edited to appeal to the caucasian westerns looking for "exotic" experiences to "break away from routine".

>> No.2541086
File: 54 KB, 340x425, clint.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2541059
>caucasian westerns
>mfw

>> No.2541317

>>2540755
>Kafka
>Light reading

Pick one.

>> No.2541525

best genre

>> No.2542531
File: 1.15 MB, 2400x1261, COME AT ME BRO.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Holy shit, I was recommended this book a couple weeks ago by my Spanish teacher. 'Parently the author got a Nobel in literature, so it can't be that bad. The main criticism I hear is that it's just packed too tight, so the book ends up becoming a sensory barrage.
Well you know what, Spicky MacWriterpants? I can take your magical shit. Girls vanishing into heaven while doing the laundry? Ain't no thing, I've written crazier shit in my sleep.
COME AT ME BRO

>> No.2542534
File: 47 KB, 297x240, someguy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's sexy.