[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 147 KB, 626x710, Gustave Dore Paradise Lost Satan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2518875 No.2518875 [Reply] [Original]

Don't you ever wake up and feel like an idiot and have this urge to purge all your useless liberal arts and pseudo-sciences with mathematics? I for one grabed a book on Mathematics, on Arithmetic and Algebra, the basics, so that I may understand mathematical reasoning and not just memorize processes and formulas. You know, how you take multiplication for granted and then it is explained to you differently, that a factor times another factor is the cartesian product... And then, if you feel like explaing it to a child, you just draw it this way, and you're surprised the child understand, and you ask yourself, why didnt they teach you mathematics this way? It's amazing how much time you can spend trying to re-learn addition and multiplication of whole numbers and rational numbers and the rules there is and so on.

Makes you wonder about all that contradictory drivel that are some statements you make with no thought or true logic.

>> No.2518884

go back to /sci/, why would you even do this

>> No.2518897

>>2518884
I am a novel reader, a philosophy reader, /sci/ is too good for me!

>> No.2518907

It's too late. I gave up on math before I even reached middle school. The damage is done.

I enjoy my "useless" liberal arts classes, though. I'm happy. I feel sorry for you.

>> No.2518910

>>2518907
I do enjoy them too!
But I feel incomplete

>> No.2518912
File: 16 KB, 200x235, 1320587039270.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A world where everyone did Maths would be mechanical and boring.

>> No.2518921

>>2518912
A world where everyone did philosophy or literature wouldn't survive a year.

>> No.2518927

That you speak of 'true logic' is an exhibition of your ignorance; there isn't a single thing in the world that successfully holds as true under philosophical scrutiny.

>> No.2518944

>>2518927
what use is philosophy if nothing is true. once again skepticism is the best idea that men ever had. also cynicism (for poorfags like me) and stoicism (for those who are better off)

>> No.2518950

>>2518927
true, mathematics begins with logic which is axiomatic.

Logic is originally a part of philosophy, and still is, so /lit/ has no excuse to not read/study logic. Philo gave birth to maths.
As a maths major I'm grateful to philosophers.

>> No.2518958

lrn2Gödel

>> No.2518961

Philosophy also gave birth to modern science.

Democritus is my nigga

>> No.2518968

>>2518950
I think Mathematicians did Philosophy when they were too tired to go on with mathematics

like: fuck this shit, I am going to go with my theory but will lower the science on it

Kinda like how psychology was smoked by neurology, in those places where neurology cant yet reach, for those there is psychology

>> No.2519001

>>2518944

Naive. Philosophy seeks to outline the existence as well as the non-existence of problems; the proposition that nothing is true is on its own defeated by skepticism and does as such not serve as an adequate obstruction to philosophical inquiry.

Further to your claim that skepticism is the best idea that man has ever had, I would like to question your grounds for believing that. Skepticism is only an exposition of the difficulty of acquiring definitive knowledge, but it has no genuine effect on our conventional idea of the concept of knowledge. What that means is that, even though everything may be potentially dogmatic, the effects of this problem are unknown. We can suppose that if an epistemological claim is found to be undeniable, that may allow us to comprehend the actual impact of skepticism on our way of thinking; at the present moment however, there is nothing suggesting that the problem of epistemological inquiry is even anything but a mistake brought about by the human condition.

>>2518950

Cheers. What are your thoughts on the philosophy of mathematics? The problems of logic? Incompleteness? I guess what I am asking is why you prefer pure mathematics to problems of such a nature; to the effect that mathematics do not question its axiomatic foundations, I would find it rather frustrating to study.

>> No.2519018
File: 78 KB, 423x477, 1320723146051.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No, because I can do basic mathematics -which is apparently some landmark achievement for you.

>> No.2519440

>>2519001
Philosophy of mathematics...Well I quite like it since epistemology is my favorite branch of philosophy.
I qualify PoM as meta-mathematics with sometimes some actual maths.
I prefer studying the subject itself than the "whys, hows and whats". If I were yo study PoM I wouldn't know linear algebra as well as i do now. To be fairly honest, every maths student should from times to times read some epistemology or take some time to ask: why the fuck am I doing maths? What's the beauty of it?
After finishing my scientific degrees, it's obvious for me that I will study philosophy more seriously, meanwhile, I just enjoy classic fiction and some rudimentary philosophic reads. I'm utterly crushed that so few people grasp the complementarity of both worlds.

>>2519018
There's no pride in doing basic maths. The more you study a subject, the less intelligent, arrogant and self-satisfied you feel about yourself.

>> No.2519458

>>2519440

I tip my hat to the able. Good luck with your studies.

>> No.2519469

>>2518875
>implying a higher kind of mind isn't born with such logical reasoning, and does it by instinct

I am part of such master race, and still I partake in the studies of mentioned liberal arts.

>> No.2519481

>>2519001

Have you written any books? Please, for the love of god, write a book.

I very much enjoyed that exposition.

>> No.2519484

>>2518875
Why can't you both enjoy literature and maths? If you have the time, you can study math in college.

>> No.2519506

>>2519481

I haven't, but I appreciate your encouraging words.