[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 187 KB, 400x604, Post Office.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2517937 No.2517937 [Reply] [Original]

What are /lit/'s opinions on Bukowski.
Is he overrated and glorifies drinking too much?

I personally loved the shit out of Post Office, and he's a generally like-able poet

>> No.2517942

Quite a few people over-rate bukowski, and I was one of them. The years, and my own growing experience in low living, have left me feeling less enthusiastic about him than i was as a teenage drunk. Nevertheless, the man is a goddamn treasure, i may not always agree with what he says but i respect it. i don't think he really glorifies drinking, he does a fair job of showing its downsides.

>> No.2517944

who thinks bukowski is overrated?

>> No.2517950

>>2517944
everyone I've ever met who wasn't a falling down drunk male so no lit crits

I mean his craft is very good. he can put sentences together very well. Just they feel like a bunch of pretty good sentences that have something to do with the current topic. Now his short stories published in various magazines were much better than his novel. B ut no one reads those any more

>> No.2518011

>>2517937
I really liked Post Office. My friend who read a bunch of his stuff said not to bother with the rest, though, since PO was the best one. There was a collab with R. Crumb at the library that I figured would be gold but was pretty meh.

>> No.2518024

>>2518011
which is funny considering he probably only read one other book. Factotum women or pulp. Seriously you want a good read check out aftermath of a lengthy rejection slip

>> No.2518027

>>2517937
Bukowski is no god damn poet.
His writings about being a tramp were good, but when he tried to venture out into any other realm it all fell flat on its ass.
You can only read about someone being sub-human drunkard before you get tired of the same old shit.
He really only got famous because rich people would tell their friends they read him to seem more interesting and cultured that they read about someone who was a white nigger. Through that popular word of mouth he began to gain rapid success.
His "poems" were either too highly personal to make any goddamn sense or just pure drunken gibberish. Anything before mid 1970 of his was just plain and pure shit.

>> No.2518037

>>2518027
>His "poems" were either too highly personal to make any goddamn sense or just pure drunken gibberish. Anything before mid 1970 of his was just plain and pure shit.

i really disagree, his poetry was simple and usually funny..
i mean he kinda failed with pleasures of the damned, but that's cause he was trying to hard to be deep

>> No.2518059

>>2517950

>everyone I've ever met who wasn't a falling down drunk male so no lit crits

That sounds oh so witty at first, but I'm guessing you know nothing about male literature critics( I sure as fuck don't) and therefore just copying some other witty who said this.

Not having a go and i could be totally wrong , just seems almost like a senseless "meme"