[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 500x326, 1202895219_14216b7be5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2516492 No.2516492 [Reply] [Original]

Hello, /lit/. I want to learn another language.

My native language is portuguese, and my english is good enough.

I was thinking about learning german or french. Which one should I learn, and why?

>> No.2516499

assuming this isn't influenced by practicality, whose literature do you prefer? If you can't answer the question with reference to at least 10 authors you really want to read in the original, keep reading and come back when you know.

>> No.2516501

French because you already speak a Romance language and it will be very intuitive, and because of the wealth of incredible French literature.

German because your English will improve as a result of better understanding Germanic grammar and syntax, because it's much more challenging and chic than learning a Romance language when your native tongue is one, and because of the wealth of incredible German literature.

>> No.2516506

>>2516499
Well german would have both the practicality and the literary pleasures, considering I could use Kant, Nietzsche and even Luther on my job, and I am very fond of some german classics which I will not enlist because I am not a pedant faggot.

French otherwise would have a major practical impact, considering there's a very strong french school on the subject I study. Don't really care for their literature.

>> No.2516507

>>2516492
German for philosophy, french otherwise.

>> No.2516509

>>2516501
That's some good advice, good sir. Thank you!

>> No.2516510
File: 24 KB, 350x348, duolingo1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2516492
My best tip for you is duolingo, some anon recommended it the other day.
I just got an invitation to it, and I have never been able to learn a language that fast.
Its quite addicting.
They have german and spanish at the moment.
Completely free to register and to learn.
It might take some time to get an invite tho since it is a closed beta.

Good luck.

>> No.2516518

>>2516510
Just signed up. Thank you!

>> No.2516521

Here's all the information you need, OP:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/choosing-language.html

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/french/index.html

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/e/languages/german/index.html

Good luck!

>> No.2516526

>>2516510
I got an invite to that too. It's fairly good, but not amazing. There's a nice questions section where you can ask others to help, but I haven't really used it lots, so I can't judge it well.

There is a feature where you translate websites. I wonder if they actually use the translations as accurate(ish) translations of the websites...

>> No.2516525

>>2516492
I'd say, learn both, unless you don't have the time. I'm a native French speaker and I'm currently learning Spanish, German and Italian at the same time. With a little discipline, it's perfectly doable to learn more than one language at the same time.
I wish you lots of fun, I wish I could know what it's like to learn French as a foreign language.

>> No.2516530

>>2516526
I use it too. The translations of the web are rather poor. But it's a beta, they are working on it.

The language learning part is really made well. I have practiced the spanish section daily. Im lvl10 now and I can definitely tell you that it works wonders.

>> No.2516538

>>2516530
If they add more languages later on, I can see it becoming very popular.

>> No.2516542

>>2516538
I know they are looking for a master in Portugese language.
French has been confirmed.
And when you register these days you can select an option for Chinese.
I think they are aiming pretty high.

>> No.2516568

>>2516542

Why in heaves would they focus on portuguese? It's not that popular and practical. I mean, I'd love to see my native language spoken by many people, and surely I'd love to discuss brazilian and portuguese literature with more people, but from an economical point of view, portuguese should not be a focus at all.

>> No.2516577

>>2516568
Brazilian is becoming increasingly important in the global economy. Portuguese is a good language to know if one wants to do business with os Brasileiros.

>> No.2516578

>>2516577
>Brazilian
I mean Brazil.

>> No.2516579

>>2516568
Probably because they have the core and framework set with the spanish part already.

But as I said earlier they aim high. Duolingo is founded by the guy who invented captcha (the one you are using on 4chan). Its hyped up to be the next project being bought up by google for bazillions of dollars.

He is hoping for all world languages.

>> No.2516587

I hope this duolingo thing gets to the point where minority languages like Venetian, Griko, Basque, etc. are included. It's sad to know that these languages will eventually die out.