[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 200x302, 200px-Hunger_games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2513350 No.2513350 [Reply] [Original]

Hey there /lit/. I've seen a lot of shit about the Hunger Games being posted around here, and I have to ask, why do you guys hate it so much? It seems like a majority of /lit/ dislikes it, and would just like to know your reasoning behind it.

>> No.2513365

read one of the hundreds of other threads about it instead of posting another one.

>> No.2513366

>>2513350

It's written in the present continuous. I fucking hate that.

>> No.2513373

>>2513365
links?

>> No.2513377

No

Don't respond to these threads, problem solved.

>> No.2513423

im more like poetry and plays and philosophical books kind of guy
but if its recommended by /lit/ ill give it a try
sooo.....do you recommended it?

>> No.2513436

The dystopia was too heavy-handed, the action was dull and repetitive and the character motivations were skewed. Also, this >>2513366

>> No.2513441

I liked the first book. Nothing special but an interesting story. I hated the love triangle bullshit but it is marketed towards young teenagers so whatever. Second book was a piece of shit though.

>> No.2513444

I don't dislike it, it's just not something I would bother to read.

>> No.2513449 [DELETED] 

>>2513444
I meant WOULDN'T, obviously.

>> No.2513447

>>2513436
>>The dystopia was too heavy-handed

It's a fucking dystopia!

>>A dystopia is the idea of a society in a repressive and controlled state

How fucking subtle do you want it to be?

>> No.2513454

I cannot hate that which I have not read.

>> No.2513458

>>2513447

You can be dystopian without "the evil rulers are taking out kids and killing them, just to show they can. Because they're evil."

>> No.2513465

>>2513458
>>2513458

Yeah, because EVIL is usually pretty subtle.

>> No.2513469

>>2513458
You... you've never eve read a dystopian novel before have you?

>> No.2513472

>>2513465
The whole capitol and district situation makes no sense. The districts are pockets of several thousand people, but they are spread from the rockies to the Appalachians. It's fucking stupid. Hurr durr district 13 lives underground. I guess I'll just assasinate the new president for no apparent reason then not show up to my own trial. Oh peeta! Oh gale! Double emotional penetration!

>> No.2513482

>>2513472
Or kil the new president because the new president is going to continue the hunger games. But yeah LOL RANDUM 4 NO RESON

>> No.2513484

>>2513472
>>2513472
>> I'll just assasinate the new president for no apparent reason

President Coin was openly plotting to kill her once the Mockingjay was no longer useful. Coin sent Peeta to assassinate Katniss, was responsible for sending Prim into the line of fire and ordering the bombing of the innocent refugee children in The Capital.

And she didn't show up at her trial because they drugged her and wouldn't let her.

>> No.2513562

>>2513484
I believe bombing children is a proud tradition of american presidents going back to say, lincoln.

>> No.2513601

Oh good lord not another one.

>> No.2513736

Yesterday, just for fun and a change of pace I went to the movies. Having seen the troll threads in /lit/ about this thing I decided to check it out. I bought myself some popcorn, nachos and a jumbo sized soda to get the full pleb experience at the movies (luckily I have no girlfriend to exchange nacho-tasted saliva with), then I sat my pretentious ass in one of those comfy chairs they have, being a Sunday, the cinema was packed with normalfags, so I ended up next to a nice middle class family, obnoxious crying baby included.
The advertisements announcing the upcoming movies rolled. Some laughs were had by the cols-blancs surrounding me, some nachos dipped in lard were eaten, some disgust raced trough my beautiful mind reminding me why I only watch Chinese cartoons or artsy shit in the comfort of my home. After several minutes of nausea the film started. This thing, rather than making me forget about the sickness, now not only located in my stomach but also in my chest, made it worst. The title did made it clear what was going to happen in that theater, not only me but the people surrounding me were drowning themselves in food, in a way that reminded me of a nigger eating some cookies given by a hypocrite murrican in a documentary I saw about Africa and their Black fauna. Only the title was the good thing about that "movie", making an essay of everything that I saw wrong with that movie would make this thread go way past the bump limit. Given this is a literature board, not a film one I will only say using no more that the few charters that I have left, one thing regarding the story, a story shared by the movie and the book. It tried to be a social critique, but it deviated from it making that thing into LOL ACTIOUN and LOL LOVE, LOLOL THAT BEARD GUY IS EVEIL. The book maybe better and less filed with action, but I'm sure it's bad, bad enough to be a best-seller.

>> No.2513749

>>2513736
0/10

Get a job.

>> No.2513776

>>2513350
Because I can read Battle Royale

>> No.2513792

>>2513749
>0/10
Would you care e to explain why. I think I made it clear why I dislike "the hunger games".
>Get a job.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.2513794

It just had two dementional characters and a lot of action. It was an enjoyable read but the prose angered me at times and it made me feel less intelligent for reading it.

>> No.2513822

I really disliked the writing style. The sentences were short and bad. It felt like I was reading a long telegraph. There was some room for improvement there.

My fucking face when that's what the actual structure was like. Even worse is that my last example is an actual sentence from the book. It enraged me so much that I'll remember that particular sentence forever.

Horrendous writing and forgettable/shallow characters aside, it's an easy as hell read (1.5 hours of reading brought me to page 150) that is mildly entertaining. Don't bother reading the last two though.

>> No.2513832

why do we have this thread on why the Hunger Games sucks every three hours?

are we doomed to do this every time a book for fifth graders gets a movie adaptation?

>> No.2513864

Another series going through the twilight cycle. People will soon dislike and say they never liked it. I did open one of the books once, read a couple pages. Can't say much about the plot, besides what I've heard, and it doesn't sound too interesting. The prose was fucking awful though. It looks like a horrible 75 page story I wrote in the sixth grade. I'm doomed to hipsterness with it sadly, as I'll never be motivated enough to read them, and then rip them to pieces.

>> No.2514607

Read it, I simply didn't enjoy. Terrible writing style, clunky as fuck, and awfully simple. (Yes, I realize I sound like a fucking snob, and I'm sincerely sorry about that, but... what can y'do?)