[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 95 KB, 400x300, Shrike_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2507981 No.2507981 [Reply] [Original]

What's your opinion on Hyperion?

I finished it (I still have to buy The fall of Hyperion) and while I think I've seen a lot of things there, it is still pretty awesome how Dan Simmons manages to wrap everything up in the dark sci-fi setting.

Each tale has something on it's own, but my favorite was the Scholar story where the girl is becoming younger each day, as I found it really moving and sad. The man who cried God was pretty good too, in its own twisted way.

This is a list of things I thought up while reading this: The TechnoCore was akin to The Matrix, the Shrike was akin to The Terminator, The priest tale reminded me of Borges tale, The immortal; the scholar tale reminded me of Benjamin Button.

Not saying I think is plagiarism, in fact, I enjoyed finding stuff like this.

>> No.2507984

>>Dan Simmons

Sorry, I don't read garbage.

>> No.2507995

>>2507984

Maybe he's talking about the unfinished epic by Keats.

>> No.2508001

I've read three of Dan Simmon's works: Hyperion, Phases of Gravity, and The Terror. One of the common themes in his work is environmentalism and indigenous philosophy. He likes use the archetypes of the ignorant, prideful White man and wise Indian/alien/barbarian who holds a lot of wisdom and all of the answers to the world's problems.

>> No.2508018

>>2507984
B-but he won the Hugo and Locus awards...

>> No.2508024

>>2508001
Well, now that you say it, it makes sense, he makes the main story the one about the Consul, who is a rebel against the Hegemony.

>> No.2508032

>>2508018
Even crappy authors like Jack McDevitt win those kinds of awards. Winning literary awards isn't indicative of the quality of writing.

>> No.2508285
File: 13 KB, 219x93, tears.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

In a while, crocodile.