[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 60 KB, 417x500, portrait_schopenhauer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2495388 No.2495388 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/,

What's your opinion on Schopenhauer? I haven't seen him talked about much here.

>> No.2495401

inb4 On Women quotes, though i agree wholeheartedly with Schopy.

>> No.2495403

He's got some interesting ideas (Suffering being the essence of Life, his distinction between Will and Representation, the Will as something irrational without a purpose other than the tendency to perpetuate itself,...), his ethics suck though.

>> No.2495410

Schopenhauer is awesome.
People mad as hell that their life has no intrinsic meaning and value get butthurt though. Suprising amount of Christians on 4chan.

>> No.2495414

>>2495403

Yeah, I liked how he broke things down, and he had an interesting noumenal/phenomenal split, but his ascetic shit is stupid

>> No.2495420

>>2495403
>>2495414
>implying all ure mentioning is not related and implied in his ethics

>> No.2495421

Lovable grumpy old pessimist with glorious knowledge and understanding of Eastern philosophy who loved his dog, played the flute, influenced a lot of very important thinkers and was witty and funny as hell. You might not agree with his philosophy, but he was a wonderful character.

>> No.2495422

I first read Schopenhauer when I was 19. I was confiding to my grandfather, who is an extremely intelligent and well-educated man, my thoughts about the futility of life. Instead of marking me as crazy or depressed, he just smiled and handed me his well-worn copy of Studies in Pessimism.

Needless to say, I've adored Schopenhauer's philosophy ever since.

>> No.2495423

>>2495420
It is. His ethics still suck. You don't need to swallow all his system to like some of their ideas.

>> No.2495432

>>2495421
>funny as hell
I just lol every time he's explaining stuff about epistemology or metaphysics and all of a sudden just starts talking shit about Hegel.

>> No.2495449
File: 3 KB, 100x100, 10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2495432
Unfortunately they've tended to edit out a lot of the Hegel-hate in new editions of his book -like, I have "The Essential Schopenhauer" and it even mentions in the Introduction that yeah, Schopenhauer just went off on tangents on this guy and we've edited it out for the sake of length.

>> No.2495452

He always reminds me of Ebenezer Balfour.

>> No.2495489
File: 10 KB, 222x203, 381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2495432
"He attempted to drum up support for The World as Will and Representation by lecturing in Berlin, deliberately and disastrously timetabling his lectures to conflict with those of Hegel, whom he perhaps predictably regarded as a 'commonplace, inane, loathsome, repulsive, and ignorant charlatan'. His lecture hall remained empty, and he never repeated the experiment."

Hahaha, man, I love Schopenhauer.

>> No.2495620

>>2495489
Their loss, Hegel was a huge faggot.

>> No.2495799

This guy was important for the history of philosophy, has some interesting ideas, but he is a complete mess if one wants to find a coherence in his whole philosophy.

some quotes:

black is «the true natural and particular color of the human race».
«(...) it is ludicrous to see represented this first man [Adam] being white, color produced by discoloration»

«one could qualify my doctrine as a true christian philosophy»

Maybe is is not casual that he did not live entirely according to his professed views, giving himself to his fame during the last years of his life.