[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 46 KB, 277x416, name of shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2490893 No.2490893 [Reply] [Original]

Are cliches forgivable if a book is written in the first person?

The main character is supposed to be a genius but he talks like a regular college kid and uses modern cliches...

I guess we could argue "thats just how he talks"...

Also why do the characters all talk modern english? The style seems so informal and modern I wouldn't be surprised if they started talking about iPods and youtube...it takes me out of the "fantasy setting"

>pic related

>> No.2490895

Nah. It's wildly overrated.

>> No.2492514

read better fantasy for christ sakes

>> No.2492521
File: 186 KB, 1214x739, 12465416143.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2492564

No. It's an awful book, despite what the blurbs on the back say. I still can't believe these people actually wrote this shit:

“It is a rare and great pleasure to come on somebody writing the way (Patrick Rothfuss does), not only with the kind of accuracy of language that seems to me absolutely essential to fantasy-making, but with real music in the words as well.... Oh, joy!”- Ursula Leguin

"THE NAME OF THE WIND has everything fantasy readers like, magic and mysteries and ancient evil, but it's also humorous and terrifying and completely believable. As with all the very best books in our field, it's not the fantasy trappings (wonderful as they are) that make this novel so good, but what the author has to say about true, common things, about ambition and failure, art, love, and loss."- Tad Williams

Even GRRM joined in on the dick riding. I find it hard to believe that these reviews were written without a little money changing hands.