[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 296x406, ralien.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2488721 No.2488721 [Reply] [Original]

Greetings from www.reddit.com/r/literature!
Brothers in fine literature! Let us discuss deep things!

Shall we start with 1984 or Anthem?

>> No.2488723

Oh I get it you're making fun of reddit.

>> No.2488733

LOL REdditz le-sucks go back 3 where u came frum

>> No.2488753

AT LEAST HE BROUGHT UP A DYSTOPIA/UTOPIA THAT ISN'T ALWAYS MENTIONED HERE, EVEN IF IT IS COMPLETE SHIT WRITTEN BY A WOMAN

>> No.2488756

>>2488753
Not discussed cause it's against the rules, kid.

>> No.2488766

>>2488756
YOU SEEM TO BE NEW HERE.

AYN RAND HAS RECEIVED MORE MENTION IN /LIT/ THAN ARGUABLY ANY OTHER AUTHOR.

ANTHEM, HOWEVER, RECEIVES NEXT TO NONE. IT'S PRETTY MUCH ALWAYS THE FOUNTAINHEAD AND ATLAS SHRUGGED MY DICK

>> No.2488774

>>2488766
Anthem has been discussed to death here.

"Not terrible, not great. Pretty unremarkable." is the general consensus.

>> No.2488776

>>2488774
I'VE BEEN HERE SINCE THE CREATION OF /LIT/ AND THE VOLUME OF DISCUSSION AND MENTION OF ANTHEM IN COMPARISON TO WE, ANIMAL FARM, BRAVE NEW WORLD, 1984, FLOW MY TEARS THE POLICEMAN SAID, FUCK EVEN THE HANDMAID'S TALE AND THE LIKE IS MINUSCULE.

>> No.2488778

>>2488753
Riddley Walker's never talked about here. Mentioned on occasion, but never really talked about.

>>2488721
Read Riddley Walker, OP.

>>2488766
That's because, at best, Anthem is a poorly-written exercise in mediocrity of the typically-shitty Randian persuasion.
>Now we know the concept of I.
>How interesting.

>> No.2488793

>>2488776
Since the beginning of /Lit/, real /lit/ credit yo. It's like listening to a band before they were famous.

>> No.2488799

>>2488776
>Brave New World, 1984, Handmaid's Tale, Animal Farm

Alright I agree with that

>We, Flow my Tears the Policeman Said
Yeah, no.

Maybe you should lurk more.

>> No.2488800

>>2488793
THAT MEANS I'M AWARE OF WHAT'S BEEN SAID HERE. SO YEAH, IT DOES MATTER

HOW WOULD A GUY WHO JUST GOT HERE TODAY KNOW WHAT GENERALLY GOES DOWN IN /LIT/?

FUCKING RETARD.

>>2488778
AGREED. I NEVER DID SAY SHE WAS A GOOD WRITER HOWEVER. AND IF WE'RE TALKING ABOUT QUALITY MATCHING THE LEVEL OF DISCUSSION FOR THE CONTENT, /LIT/ OBVIOUSLY IS NOT THE PROPER PLACE FOR THAT

>> No.2488804

>>2488799
YEAH, YEAH

THE REASON I READ FLOWS MY TEARS THE POLICEMAN SAID WAS BECAUSE OF /LIT/

IT WAS ALSO RECOMMENDED FOR /LIT/'S UTOPIAN/DYSTOPIAN CHART

AND FOR PKD, WHO IS ALWAYS BROUGHT UP IN /LIT/, I'D SAY FLOW MY TEARS IS ONE OF THE GIVE MOST MENTIONED OF HIS BOOKS ON /LIT/.

YEAH

YEAH

YEAH

>> No.2488810

>reddit
>Shall we start with 1984 or Anthem?

Saged and reported.

>> No.2488808

>>2488799
Also, I've been here since the beginning too. They added /3/, /adv/, /sci/ and /lit/ all at the same time, right? I also remember stuff like girlgamer and the /sci-fi/ get. Being around here for a long time doesn't make you special, and it doesn't give you some magical omniscient knowledge of what goes on in /lit/. Just because YOU haven't been on when the topics have been posted doesn't mean that they didn't exist. And for fucks sake, EVERYTHING about ayn rand was posted back in the old days, even fucking We the Living has been discussed.

>> No.2488821

>>2488808
YES BUT THAT WAS NOT MY POINT.

MY FIRST POST WAS THAT IN COMPARISON TO OTHER DYSTOPIA/UTOPIA BOOKS, ANTHEM IS HARDLY BROUGHT UP IN /LIT/

IT'S A FACT. MONITOR POSTS FROM NOW AND YOU'LL SEE 1984, BRAVE NEW WORLD BROUGHT UP ALL THE TIME. WITH ANIMAL FARM, HANDMAID'S TALE AND OTHERS BRINGING UP THE REAR. ANTHEM IS FURTHER BACK.

OF COURSE EVERYTHING WAS POSTED ABOUT AYN RAND IN THE BEGINNING, THAT'S WHAT BROUGHT ON THE EXTRA RULE, EN-MASS TROLLING.

>> No.2488828

>>2488804

>PKD

Actually the discussion of his works has shifted in direction throughout lit's life. In the beginning it was mostly The Man in the High Castle, then a bit of A Scanner Darkly, then there was a period where the VALIS series was immensely popular, but Flow My Tears has never been at the epicenter of PKD love. Also, Anthem was for a long time recommended in the novella images, so by your own argument it must be a pretty well known and thoroughly discussed novel, right?

>> No.2488833

>>2488821
Well obviously 1984 and BNW will always be the most popular, but that doesn't mean that Anthem hasn't been discussed extensively here, because it has been.

Just because it isn't really posted much anymore doesn't mean that it wasn't posted a while ago, and the rule against Ayn Rand really discourages anyone new or old from posting about it (which isn't that big of a deal since there is nothing new to say about a 74 year old novella that never had much value to begin with).

>> No.2488838

I have to agree with cap on this one, but part of the reason why there has been so little discussion of Anthem might be because Ayn Rand discussion in general is against the rules, supposedly.

>> No.2488839

>>2488828
YOU MENTIONED LESS THAN 5 PKD NOVELS, MY POINT STANDS. HE WROTE QUITE A FEW BOOKS, BUT THEY ARE THE MAIN ONES BROUGHT UP HERE.

THE NOVELLA CHART WAS CREATED PRETTY EARLY IN /LIT/'S LIFE, IT COULD BE A BY-PRODUCT OF THE TROLLING THAT WAS AYN RAND

>> No.2488842

>>2488833
SO WHY HAS AYN RAND BEEN BROUGHT UP IN THE PHILOSOPHER THROW-DOWN THREAD?

>> No.2488847

A screenshot of the top articles from r/literature. The top articles of the subreddit's entire existence.

Seems to be fairly similar to 4chan, with much fewer LOOKIT THE BOOKS I BOUGHT GAIZ and FUCK THE BIBLE LOLOLOL

>> No.2488849
File: 142 KB, 1360x765, literature.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2488847

Here's the screenshot durr

>> No.2488865

>>2488842
Is that a serious question? Trolling. Or do you REALLY think that that many people on lit of all places really agree with Rand? Fact of the matter is that very few people here consider anyone posting about Rand legitimate, so the only time anyone talks about her now is to troll and say stuff like "Lol plebs, how can you not follow glorious objectivism? It is clearly superior to your sheeple filled collectivism."

>>2488839

Less than a quarter of his work has been discussed here period, but of PKD's good works, Flow My Tears is posted less than many of his other works. You don't compare the frequency of one of his novels to the frequency of all of his novels, you compare it to the frequency of the novels of his which are actually posted about.

>> No.2488875

>>2488865
Also, if you look at the dystopian list, you will see Man in the High Castle, which further proves my point.

>> No.2488911

>>2488875
PROBABLY BECAUSE I MADE THAT CHART.

>>2488865
LIKE I SAID, I DON'T AGREE WITH HER. I'M NOT THE ONE DISCUSSING HER, EVEN IF IT IS TROLLING.

END OF THE DAY, ANTHEM'S RECEIVED LESS MENTION THAN MANY OTHER SIMILARLY THEMED BOOKS, AND I LIKE DIVERSITY IN /LIT/, EVEN IF IT'S SHITTIER IN TERMS OF LITERARY VALUE.

>> No.2488928

>>2488911
>I LIKE DIVERSITY IN /LIT/, EVEN IF IT'S SHITTIER IN TERMS OF LITERARY VALUE.
>can't into literary darwinism