[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 154 KB, 512x384, 1331704291387.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2487833 No.2487833 [Reply] [Original]

/lit/ is there a word like selfish or self interested but without a negative connotation?

For example in the sentence:
"There are also more self interested reasons why I would like to pursue this career path"

I would like to use something that means self interested but doesn't sound as 'evil'.

thanks

>> No.2487839

"EGOIST".

>> No.2487845

"EGOTIST".

>> No.2487846

"There are also more personal reasons why I would like to pursue this career path."

>> No.2487848

centripetal, but you my have to explain it. It means self-focused. It's characteristic of heterosexual single women and beta males in competitive structures.

>> No.2487849
File: 70 KB, 618x564, 618px-Trollface_HD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

there are also more solipsistic reasons why i'd like to pursue this career path.

>> No.2487851

>>2487846
Thanks, this is what I'm thinking of going with

>> No.2487856

Babby's first Ayn Rand spergfest.

>> No.2487863

ffffuuuu.

While you guys are here, could you help me out with my whole paragraph? It has the ideas I want, but it's written much shittier than the rest of my essay.

"There are also more personal reasons why I would like to pursue this career path. The career will be intellectually stimulating and as a research will give me a chance to create and discover. Also, it is one of my life goals to gain a deep understanding of the human condition. I believe that in some cases the human condition should be looked at from a biological perspective. Thorough knowledge of human biology is necessary for this and this career is ideal for gaining this knowledge. As a physician I believe I will also gain understanding of the human condition by working with real people from all sorts of backgrounds. I will be given the opportunity of speaking with them and trying to understand them as a whole. As I learn about them I will also learn about myself."

>> No.2487872

>>2487863
>Also, it is one of my life goals to gain a deep understanding of the human condition.

In that case, I highly recommend reading Tao Lin.

>> No.2487885

>>2487851

YOU MUST BE SEMIRETARDED.

DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT "PERSONAL" MEANS?

WHAT CAN BE EXPECTED OF SOMEONE WHO THINKS THAT "NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS" IN WORDS ARE INHERENT?

>> No.2487890

There are also more personal reasons why I would like to pursue this career path. The job of a physician is intellectually stimulating and as a researcher I am given a chance to create and discover. It is also one of my life goals to develop a deep understanding of the human condition. I believe that in some cases the human condition should be considered from a biological perspective. This requires thorough knowledge of human biology, something that I will gain naturally over time as a physician.
I will also gain understanding of the human condition by interacting with my patients, real people from diverse backgrounds. As I work with them, I hope to understand them as a whole, for that is how I can provide them the best treatment. As I begin to understand them, I will also begin to understand myself.

I use 'understand' too many times :(

>> No.2487894

>>2487885

give me an example of egoist or egotist used in a positive/neutral way

>> No.2487902

>>2487894
>give me an example of egoist or egotist used in a positive/neutral way

YOU MUST BE SEMIRETARDED.

DO YOU NOT KNOW WHAT "EGOIST", AND "EGOTIST" MEAN?

WHAT CAN BE EXPECTED OF SOMEONE WHO THINKS THAT "NEGATIVE CONNOTATIONS" IN WORDS ARE INHERENT?

>> No.2487907

>>2487902
You're the only fucktard talking about innate qualities of words. It only matters how the word will be perceived, which is almost certainly negative. Besides, connotation is ipso facto an aspect of the reader not the text.

>> No.2487920

>>2487907

THEN WHY ARE YOU WORRIED ABOUT BEING PERCEIVED AS "CONCEITED" IF YOU USE THE TERM "SELFINTERESTED", OR "SELFISH", OR "EGOTISTIC", OR "EGOIST"?

IF THE READER THINKS THAT OF YOU IT IS HIS PROBLEM IF THAT "OFFENDS" HIS "SENSIBILITY", NOT YOURS.

EVERYTHING IS RELATIVE.

YOU ARE CONTRADICTING YOURSELF.

YOU SEEM MILDLY "STUPID".

>> No.2487927
File: 181 KB, 600x902, obliteration-5-600x902.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

okay my final draft for today. Still not particularly happy with it :(

Let me know what you think if you have time.

"There are also more personal reasons why I would like to pursue this career path. The job of a physician is intellectually stimulating and as a researcher I am given a chance to create and discover. It is also one of my life goals to develop a deep understanding of the human condition. I believe that in some cases the human condition should be considered from a biological perspective. This requires thorough knowledge of human biology, something that I will gain naturally over time as a physician.
I will also gain insight into the human condition through my interactions with my patients, real people from diverse backgrounds. As I work with my patients, I hope to appreciate and comprehend them as a whole; that is how I can provide them the best treatment. As I begin to understand them, I will also begin to understand myself."

>> No.2487930

>>2487920

his problem becomes my problem, my acceptance depends on his opinion of me

>> No.2487941

>>2487920
>IF THE READER THINKS THAT OF YOU IT IS HIS PROBLEM IF THAT "OFFENDS" HIS "SENSIBILITY", NOT YOURS.

Here's a hint, because you clearly have trouble reading contextual clues: OP is applying for a job or position, so I think the reader's reception is somewhat apropos.

Furthermore, a deft author has an audience in mind and tailors his writing accordingly. Only a brain-dead twat would write blindly like you advocate.

>> No.2487960
File: 64 KB, 400x411, 1330700376490.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

o_o