[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 520x415, 1327883212174.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2427954 No.2427954 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

Was just discussing Catcher In The Rye with a friend.

He griped about Holden being a 'little bitch' and I just told him that's kind of the point.

Then he went on to say anything redeemable about the book was ruined by the Mr. Antolini getting him drunk and 'petting' him. Saying that the author had no place putting it in the book and that the only character to 'care' for Holden was ruined.

I told him he was over thinking the point.

Do you feel it ruined the book or had a big impact? Or rather just served as device to push the plot?

>> No.2427961

Sounds like your friend is a little bitch.

>> No.2427964

People who think Mr Antolini was a pervert were probably touched inappropriately by their uncles at a family reunion.

Antolini was drunk, had one of his most troubled students who was having a sort of psychotic episode show up at his house in the middle of the night. He had no idea what to do so he tried to be fatherly and give Holden some comfort with an awkward, "there-there" pat on the head. Holden, a total nut, freaked out and ran away.

>> No.2427969

>>2427961
I know, right? It was hard not to point out the irony, as he's a rather zealous fellow.

>>2427964
I just think at that point, he was looking for any way to stick with his 'this book isn't good' mindset.