[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 398x600, Hunger_games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2417135 No.2417135 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone ever read it? Is it any good?

I need something to read, preference to post-apocalyptic survival and adventure.

>> No.2417149

It's okay and has some meaningful symbols in it, but it's directed towards teens, so don't expect much.

>> No.2417156

>>2417149
Can you recommend a book for adults in the same genre?

What makes a 'young adult'/teenage-oriented novel so much more different from an adult one?

>> No.2417159

>>2417156
Well we actually had to read this for our project in English book, and I thought it was somewhat interesting but not as good the Running Man by Stephen King. I would actually recommend that book, it's almost the same concept, but a little mature if that's what you want.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Running_Man

>> No.2417177

>>2417159
Sounds interesting. I'll take a look into it.

>> No.2417192

I got the impression that it took itself far too seriously.

It keeps trying to give the impression that it's supaaaaaah brutal, but most of us have seen worse in hollywood movies, so it doesn't really work. It's like a 12 year old's idea of what "horrifyingly violent" means.

>> No.2417204

Setting makes no fucking sense.

Given the structure of the country (means of production and raw materials controlled by the people- ZERO centralized production in the capital [other than manpower]), the rebellion needn't have been bloody at all and would have begun and ended two weeks after the system was first devised by President Snow.

Lrn2 ekonomix