[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 11 KB, 199x264, rousseau.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2415856 No.2415856 [Reply] [Original]

Just got done reading Rousseau Discourse on Inequality and am almost done with The Social Contract. What does /lit/ think of Rousseau and his form of social contract?
I think that eventually, as with all forms of government, it would fall apart. And with government, it would fall apart terribly. As much as he is eye opening and even correct in his predictions of the Enlightenment, I think his solution is ultimately wrong--unfortunately.

>> No.2415872

Rousseau's works are mostly cool from a historical standpoint imo. There are better works on similar subjects by different authors but it is kinda neat to read something from a period where the ideas were burgeoning; I think it even brought me a little closer to the material.

>> No.2415874

Well, I read the second discourse awhile ago, and I never really bothered to get through the social contract. But I am reading his confessions at the moment, which are amazing. He's a nice guy eh, but I get the feeling he's not telling the whole story surrounding his departure for the Hermitage.

Wasn't relevant, but I went with it.