[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 19 KB, 460x276, Queen-Elizabeth-II-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2411763 No.2411763 [Reply] [Original]

It's the bloody Queen!

Anyway, Radio 4 is celebrating (maybe) Elizabeth II's diamond jubilee by compiling a list of 60 people who, during her reign, have 'managed the changes that have made us who we are.'

I'm not a huge royalist, but I like the idea of just grabbing a time period and discussing which people have been hugely influential/important to society. I'm asking on /lit/, so I'm hoping for some poets writers and intellectuals, but you can mention who you want really because science and engineering always get discussed here anyway and they're probably the more obvious areas to look at for a lot of the 60.

So who would be on your 'New Elizabethan 60' list?

Oh, and here's an article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/2012/02/new_elizabethans.html

>> No.2411778

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_B0rOLvAOo

biggie smalls for services to the arts

>> No.2411779

nice. i see someone mentioned melvyn bragg in the comments, in our time is a pretty awesome programme. also lol at the other comment.

>> No.2411784

isaiah berlin, david attenborough, adam curtis and chris morris are the only people i can think of off the top of my head really as intellectuals.

>> No.2411804

>>2411784
I never really considered Attenborough, but thinking about it now he should definitely be on. Why though? Just because everyone's heard of him, because he's made so many great programmes, or has he shaped our opinions on ecology?

Eveyone on the programme I was listening to agreed on Churchill, because they believed that nobody else could have done what he did.

Does anybody think Salman Rushdie should be on the list? He's already been credited with pretty much establishing the Anglo-Indian novel. Is this a big deal? I also think that JK Rowling will probably get on the list, partly because of her success and partly because of 'switching children on to reading' or something.

>> No.2411827

>>2411804
he's made exotic and rare wildlife accessible to the general public. he both informs on and presents the beauty of whatever he does.

>has he shaped our opinions on ecology?
do you really need to ask that question? its like saying "did sagan shape our opinions on astronomy?"

>> No.2411890
File: 48 KB, 655x560, Homerandmargedotpng.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2411827
Did he?

>> No.2411896
File: 30 KB, 321x357, walter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FTQ.