[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 316x422, patch2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2408489 No.2408489 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, who would win in a cage fight between Stephen Dedalus and Holden Caulfield?

More importantly, which did you feel to be the better novel? Personally I think I'd have to give the edge to Catcher in the Rhye over A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. It's much more accessible for one, and I find Sallinger's satire more appealing than Joyce's dry prose. Plus it got rid of John Lennon, so there's another plus.

>> No.2408497

>got rid of John Lennon,

GTFO

>> No.2408499

>Mentioning Catcher in The Rye in the same sentence as A Portrait

Nigger Catcher in The Rye isn't in the same building never mind the same level.

>> No.2408507

>>2408499
which is better?

>> No.2408513

>>2408507

A Portrait of The Artist as a Young Man.

It's one of the best books ever written, CITR isn't even a good book.

>> No.2408519

>>2408513
I was about to say.

No matter how you look at it. Salinger isn't anywhere near the level of Joyce. I enjoyed Catcher for what it was but it wasn't that much.

>> No.2408529

Stephen Dedalus by way of being Irish easily.

>> No.2408542

>who would win in a cage fight between Stephen Dedalus and Holden Caulfield

i think you're putting a little too much faith in holden.

try putting him up against someone more his speed like rosa bud from edwin drood or sibyl from picture of dorian gray.

>> No.2408549

Stevie D would probably win because of his quick wits.

Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is the better book by a country mile.

>> No.2408560
File: 20 KB, 250x346, lottejacobiLarge.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2408513
>>2408499
Both books heavily influenced the literature that followed it.
Both are concerned with the mindset of a young, intelligent man. Albeit APotAaaYM has a much broader time period, and a more intelligent main character.
CitR is more satirical, APotAaaYM more autobiographical.
CitR is funnier, APotAaaYM is quite dry and serious.
CitR is easier to read, APotAaaYM requires similar knowledge to that of the main character.

CitR is a good book. Don't pretend it's not just because angsty teenagers read and love it. It would be like saying Romeo and Juliet is bad for the same reason.
Plus it got rid of the angstiest teen of all, John Lennon.

>> No.2408569

>>2408560

>CitR is more satirical, APotAaaYM more autobiographical.
>CitR is funnier, APotAaaYM is quite dry and serious.

I take it you didn't understand much of APOTAAYM

>> No.2408581

>>2408569
The entirety of CitR is satirical. Small sections of APotAaaYM are satirical.
Pretty much all of CitR is funny. Small sections of APotAaaYM are funny.

>> No.2408589

>>2408560
Nothing Salinger ever wrote even came close to touching the beauty of Stephen's epiphany by the sea at the end of part 4.

>> No.2408919
File: 2 KB, 152x260, bones.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Jesus litfags never read shit.

Between Salinger the question is Hapworth 16, 1924 or Finnegans Wake. At that point both artists evolve into a crystallization of all previous themes in their work that is perceived by the rabblement as unreadable.

Their both such geniuses it's impossible to compare; I'd rather read Catcher than Portrait, but that doesn't mean much.

>> No.2408939
File: 50 KB, 300x250, JPL BLICKSTERNE.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OVERALL, I LIKE "THE CATCHER IN THE RYE" MORE THAN "A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN".

I COULD IDENTIFY MORE WITH HOLDEN CAULFIELD THAN WITH STEPHEN DAEDALUX.

"CONCEPTUALLY", I LIKE "A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN" MORE THAN "THE CATCHER IN THE RYE".

"A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN" APPEALS TO MY "CEREBRAL/APOLLONIAN SELF", "THE CATCHER IN THE RYE" APPEALS TO MY "FEELING/DIONYSIAN SELF".

>> No.2408980

I have to say, almost every literary character that's coming to mind at the moment could beat up Holden Caulfield.