[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 15 KB, 330x353, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2405163 No.2405163 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/, in order to improve my english skills, I started reading a lot of english books, though I would like to read something worth it ,maybe a good classic.Any tips for a guy who loves to learn and will always be a forever learner?Btw, sorry for my crappy english.

>> No.2405737

Pride and prejudice. /thread

>> No.2405760

Agnes Grey

>> No.2405782

>>2405737
eww no
read frankenstein

>> No.2406191

Just read the whole Harvard Classics. Thats the western canon in a nutshell.

>> No.2406193

Lolita

>> No.2406201

Invisible Man

>> No.2406206

Would you mind me asking your mother language? Also, are you limiting yourself to strictly British Lit./American Lit. or is it anything goes?

>> No.2406461

Thanks for your help.As you might not know I am portuguese, so I live somewhere in Portugal, I guess no one knows this little country , lost in its own stupidity.I am starting with "Dracula" by Bram Stroker and later with "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley.

>> No.2406481

I don't seem to have a copy of Frankenstein on hand to check whether it was a tough read, but the format in which Dracula was written is kind of unusual as novels go. It's probably reasonable if you're aiming for English language classics, but there are probably easier books to read too.

I'd recommend Shakespeare, but Early Modern English can be kind of a bitch even for native speakers. The Canterbury Tales are likewise awesome, but Middle English is only vaguely like Modern English and if you're going to read something in translation anyway, you might as well just find it in your native tongue.

I'll recommend Fahrenheit 451 without reservation. And because I feel like pimping out American literature, Moby-Dick and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn are both damn good books.

>> No.2406498

>>2406481
I really apreciated your suggestion.However, I have already started reading "Dracula" bu Bram Stroker. To be truthful, I know It is very demanding, but I like both challenges and "hard-to-read" books .Reading in my native language isn`t fun at all.Even though I do not write or speak in the greatest way, my english is not so bad.What do you think? Later on, I will definitely give a try to Shakespeare.Thanks for your reply.

>> No.2406528
File: 15 KB, 250x250, 1313495494001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>in order to improve my english skills

So lit recommends he read Middle English theatrical verse, oh dear...

>> No.2406536

>>2406528
>Middle English theatrical verse
Who's recommended that?

>> No.2406562

>>2406536

>I'd recommend Shakespeare

>> No.2406567

>>2406562
>Middle English
>Shakespeare
Uh...

>> No.2406569
File: 74 KB, 413x600, chaucer deploying to iraq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2406562
>Shakespeare
>Middle English

>> No.2406572

If you're wanting to improve your English, you probably don't want to focus on 'older, good books' as has been suggested here but instead focus on 'current, simple books.'

So, for example, anything that's a current best-seller in the English-speaking world will probably serve your needs.

Personally I read a lot of bizarro fiction, very easy to read.

Scifi is a traditionally simple genre (in terms of writing style) for the most part, possibly because of the young adult market it often addresses; you could subscribe to scifi/fantasy magazines to go through short stories.

Also the short story angle has the benefit of being easier to re-read.

I might also suggest checking out some English-language comics and films. To be honest comics will be hit-and-miss when it comes to being helpful with learning the language though. However, watching English-language films with subtitles on will probably be helpful; I have two friends (Czech and Italian) who say this is one of the tactics which helps them.