[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 24 KB, 320x240, Book man.jpg_thumb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2400931 No.2400931 [Reply] [Original]

Ok guys, this is an authorial dilemma.

I can write stories that have characters that are based loosely on me and people I have met in my life. I can also use my life experience to bolster my stories.

The benefits of such an approach is believability, and adds an authentic connection to the author.

I also believe I my abilities can go beyond that. To write about characters that are nothing like me, and write stories that nothing in my life can relate to.

The problem with this is that it severs the connection between the author and his work.

What can be said about an author who is hyper-masculine writing a story narrated by a very feminine point of view? Stupid annoying people would write theories about the author being gay in academic journals.

Some people don't care about the author, and some people do.

A great example is Dostoyevsky. Endless scholarly discussion exists examining the connection with Dostoyevsky's stories and his actual life experience. I think it can be safely said, that Dostoy's life has definitely been integrated some way into his works. Some of his main characters (underground man), must retain some sort of connection with the author.

So that is my predicament...the first works you try to tackle may define the rest of your career. If I ever do commit myself to writing, should I stay true to myself and my life story, or should I completely let my imagination run wild (where my work has no connection to me).

How much of a narcissist should an author be? To incorporate his life into his work. It really does seem a lot of authors do this.

>> No.2400937
File: 30 KB, 291x450, waits jacket.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

4chan isn't going to make this decision for you anon.

Do you want to write like Dostoyevsky or like Bukowski?

/thread

>> No.2400958

Well. It all depends on how self-conscious you're going to get about it when people call you out. It really won't matter so long as the story is good, but if you have doubts just use a pseudonym or something

I don't think there is a right answer here