[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 42 KB, 306x500, tale_of_two_cities_book..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2393634 No.2393634 [Reply] [Original]

Trying to write an English paper on this book. If you've read it, I'm supposed to write on how the Marquis St. Evremonde represents a symbol of evil and corruption within the French nobility towards the lower class. I know the symbolism is obvious, but I seriously need some help finding a deeper meaning to it because I'm really trying to write a better essay.

>> No.2393647

Never force meaning.

>> No.2393664

Like write about how he's a big mean douchebag n' shit.

>> No.2393684

the Marquis st. Evremonde is dickens way of casting the importance of class distinction above everything in french, and by extension British, society. The way he frequently makes a point of using differing salutations for the Marquis, depending on who is speaking of or to him, emphasizes the respect paid to these distinctions, and it is the fact that he sees these distinctions as iron-clad himself that he cannot imagine anything overturning them. He is so entrenched in the hierarchical structure of the french society he was raised in that any violation is unthinkable, even to the eschewing of mercy, justice or charity if it would require him in some way to "stoop"
The transmission of his wealth to the more deserving -and egalitarian--darnay is one of the main themes of the book. And the tragedy is that it came too late to save the good aspects of french society from the terror.

>> No.2393706

Ive never read any DIckens is this a good place to start? whats his best novel?

>> No.2393711

Why would you do that? Do you work at a book report factory or something?