[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 71 KB, 400x498, BrothersKaramazov[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2354415 No.2354415 [Reply] [Original]

"rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.”

can anyone recommend a book that expounds on this idea?

ps, don't want any ancient greek aristotle shit

>> No.2354419

>quotes Plato
>doesn't want ancient Greek shit

Fuck off then.

>> No.2354423
File: 21 KB, 93x267, ADLHDVNHBCHTSBR KZHMK.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

THE "APPEAL" OF RHETORIC" IS ONLY THE "SUPERFICIAL" ASPECT OF THE PROCESS OF DOMINATING MASSES OF PEOPLE.

IF YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW THE PROCESS FUNCTIONS, READ WORKS ON "MASS PSYCHOLOGY", AND "PSYCHOLOGICAL TYPES".

"THE MASS PSYCHOLOGY OF FASCISM" BY WILHELM REICH, AND "THE ARCHETYPES AND THE COLLECTIVE UNCONSCIOUS" BY CARL GUSTAV JUNG, RESPECTIVELY, ARE THE TWO "ENTRY LEVEL" WORKS ON THOSE SUBJECTS, ACCORDING TO ME.

THOUGH, I DOUBT THAT YOU WILL COMPREHEND ANYTHING CONTAINED IN THOSE BOOKS.

>> No.2354432

>>2354419

i'd just like something a bit more contemporary, something that sketches out the politics of rhetoric throughout history, whilst also exploring the use of rhetoric in conversational, everyday life, you know, with interesting little psychological insights along the way. i don't know, it was kind of a joke anyway.

>> No.2354459 [DELETED] 

I remember that one of Foucault's lectures on Pahrresia dealed with rhetoric.

Theis last two courses at the collège de france

>> No.2354462

I remember that one of Foucault's lectures on Pahrresia dealed with rhetoric.

The last two courses at the collège de france.

>> No.2354478

>>2354415
Why do you quote someone who just hated retorica?
Maybe there are some self help books that help you woo the ladies, but retorica is for speeches. Aristoteles wrote it that way, Quinty (we go way back) wrote it that way and Obama still uses it that way.
I might know that the Western way of thinking is based on Aristoteles' ideas, therefore it's not such a big surprise that all populistic politician still base all their speeches on Aristoteles' retorica.

(some words may not be as in English, you'll know what I mean though)