[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 630 KB, 1179x889, 1695174185145509.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23506983 No.23506983 [Reply] [Original]

>”do you accept?”
>”no im good.”

It was literally that simple. Was Duke Leto just fucking stupid?

“Hey do you want a planet that will make you direct enemies with house Harkonnen? They are insanely wealthy have vast resources and are incredibly cruel. It’s actually very likely they’ll come and kill you”. “Gee that sounds great. Obviously this isn’t a set up from the emperor. I’ll take it”. Does no one else realize how insane this whole set up is?

>> No.23507029

This is a /lit/ board. If you are going to talk about a piece of literature, it is imperative that you read the book you're talking about. The Emperor gave Duke Leto an order to control the fief of Arrakis. He couldn't refuse even if he wanted to. This is explained in the book. Leto knows it's a trap, but also sees Arrakis as an opportunity to expand the wealth of House Atreides, because of the importance of spice production. This is explained in the book. Read the book.

>> No.23507031

That's retarded, OP. I don't even like Dune but it's painfully obvious that the Atreides are forced to accept the deal, and that Leto walks into it knowing full well it's a pretty bad idea and almost certainly a trap. They can't refuse a proposition/gift of the Emperor, to do so would surely lose face and damage their political legitimacy and so on. Leto seems to clearly know that it's a trap, and that the emperor is behind it, he just doesn't seem to know the form of the trap, and seems to think that he is smart enough to guess it before it is too late. Obviously he wasn't.

I'm hardly a Dune expert but I'm pretty sure they even say at some point that the Atreides have a choice either between accepting or going rogue. There is no "just refuse and it's all chill, bro" option.

>> No.23507291

>>23506983
>>>/tv/

>> No.23507300

atheists need constant plot holes do sell their media products

>> No.23507306

>>23506983
Not how shit works.

>> No.23507742

>>23506983
He knew there was a plot against him, and decided to face it with open eyes, while putting as many precautions and safeguards in place as he could. He says as much in the early chapters.

>> No.23507776

>>23507029
>He couldn't refuse even if he wanted to
This too, the alternative would have been fleeing to an unknown system and living in exile.

>> No.23508782

>>23506983
Do you even read?