[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 500x333, images(1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23478269 No.23478269 [Reply] [Original]

Hello anons, I am currently reading the book War is a Force that Gives us Meaning by Chris Hedges and in some portions of the book he speaks about the wars that led to the dissolution of Yugoslavia, then I realized how little I know about the subject.

So I ask you to recommend to me any books about the Yugoslavia's wars, but let's not be limited to that, send anything else ranging from society, economy, Tito's regime, partisans and so on. Also, it doesn't matter which side the books portray or if it is biased by any means be it towards Serbian, Croatian or Bosnian narratives, but I ask to any anon from the former yugoslavian countries to not begin petty fightings in the thread, let's keep it clean for the sole purpose of sharing knowledge.

>> No.23478282
File: 674 KB, 1651x2481, My War Gone By I Miss It So book cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh boy, do I have the book for you.

>> No.23478354

>>23478269
>I ask to any anon from the former yugoslavian countries to not begin petty fightings
Stopped reading here.

Anyways, if you want actual literature try to find something by Faruk Sehic. He was a soldier in the war but his books are pretty solid in a literary way, he doesn't go into politics. Heres an article about him you can read; https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/21/under-pressure-by-faruk-sehic-review-fearless
There a few decent movies that deal with the subject pretty well, a few even won an oscar;
No man's land(bosnian)
Before the rain(macedonian)

For best in yugo music listen to the "Idoli- Odbrana i poslednji dani" album.
That should be enough I guess.

>> No.23478459
File: 86 KB, 640x640, Clipboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23478269
You will hardly find anything worth reading written in English. Yugoslavia (today Serbia) was given the same media treatment as any other country that fell under the scrutiny of the US while never being quite in a position to garner strong backlash as was the case for Iraq. As a result your left with almost exclusively propaganda from that era made for western consumption. As far as I'm aware the only western journalist that was not parroting the official narrative is Scott Taylor and he published two books detailing his time there although both are very specific to the region he was in at the time and should be treated as supplemental. The documentary "The Weight of Chains" is probably one of the best detailing the entire conflict from start to finish, although it can be sensationalist at times. Another "Srebrenica a town betrayed" is also worth considering. If you don't mind the language barrier many, many books have been written on the subject from the former Yugoslavia "BH : čaša prevršila" by Jovo Blažanović. Is a good one detailing the conflict in Bosnia. All things considered, unless your very interested in the topic its best to just leave it be lest you risk coming out even more ignorant than before.

>> No.23478889
File: 7 KB, 306x165, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23478269
god I miss the random babushkas hanging from the lampposts at balcan spring. That was life!

>> No.23478912

Bridge over Drina, but it's about the pre-Yugoslav times. It's almost like the Balkan equivalent of "start with the Greeks".

Author Ivo Andrić was the only Yugoslav author to get the Nobel Prize in Literature.

>> No.23479031

>>23478269
The Miracle Detective
t. Randall Sullivan

The apparitions of the Virgin Mary in the village of Medjugorje in Bosnia-Herzegovina.
The themes your looking for are discussed in the book, light weight, nothing too heavy but enough to leave me with the same realization you had, that I know very little about a very interesting place in the world and it's history.

>> No.23479036

>>23478282
fpbp

>> No.23479089

>>23478269
Just read your CIA documents retarded profiteering piece of shit.