[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 800x451, ff_rOv1kfU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23432325 No.23432325 [Reply] [Original]

https://archive.is/20240528174527/https://www.americanpurpose.com/articles/boredom-at-the-end-of-history-part-i/

>A couple of times a week, I'm asked why I was so wrong with my thesis, or when I am going to recant it. My answer has always had several parts. We are clearly living in a very different era from the heady period of the early 1990s; today, it is obvious that illiberal forces are gaining strength in many parts of the world. But the “end of history” was not a prediction about the inevitable spread of liberal democracy to all corners of the earth in the near term... I rather sought to pose the question of whether there had not been progress in the political evolution of human institutions, not just over recent decades, but over many centuries... my argument was that liberal democracy tied to a market economy had no competitors that were in reality superior forms of social order.

>What is striking about contemporary democratic backsliding is that few of those people expressing discontent with liberal democracy are able to articulate a clear vision of an alternative social system that is systemically superior. It is true that contemporary liberal democracies have failed to make good on their underlying promise of equal treatment under law... But few people question the underlying principles coming out of the French and American revolutions of a political order based on the twin principles of freedom and equality, or of the equality of freedom...

>But if there is no higher alternative than liberal democracy, why are so many people around the world living under such regimes so discontented today? I predicted the emergence of such discontent in my 1992 book, which many of my critics had not bothered to read all the way to the end. The last five chapters were about the “last man,” a contemptuous phrase from Friedrich Nietzsche describing the kind of person who emerges at the end of history. The “last man” is a creature without pride or striving to be something better, content with petty pleasures and material well-being... Certain human beings, in other words, do not want to be last men; they want to struggle to have their dignity recognized, or to have the dignity of other mistreated or marginalized people acknowledged. If they are privileged to be living in an established, wealthy liberal democracy like the United States, they will turn against their own institutions.

>> No.23432367

What a pathetic cope

>> No.23432368

>>23432325
>>>What is striking about contemporary democratic backsliding is that few of those people expressing discontent with liberal democracy are able to articulate a clear vision of an alternative social system that is systemically superior.
and that's only due to the bourgeoisie who suppressed any global thinking of the monarchy as early as the revolutions in 1848 by creating their welfare systems.

>> No.23432371

>>23432325
>Certain human beings, in other words, do not want to be last men; they want to struggle to have their dignity recognized, or to have the dignity of other mistreated or marginalized people acknowledged. If they are privileged to be living in an established, wealthy liberal democracy like the United States, they will turn against their own institutions.
and gain this stems only from the bourgeoisie who keep playing the card of the revolutionist propaganda and perpetual revolution in order to hide that the bourgeoisie just did a power grab and never cared for the population.

>> No.23432596

Fukuyama looks cool (he already visited my university in brazil) but this end of history thing is kinda dumb

>> No.23432630
File: 757 KB, 2400x1600, web-gettyimages-2111027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432325
>But few people question the underlying principles coming out of the French and American revolutions of a political order based on the twin principles of freedom and equality, or of the equality of freedom...

Ahem.

>> No.23432657

>>23432325
he's still pretty wrong in that he didn't predict that democracy would utterly fail at absorbing differences between radically opposing worldviews. neither the far-right nor the far-left are interested in the long-term preservation of liberal democracy - the former because it conflicts with its basic assumptions and values and the latter because it hopes to dissolve political questions in technical and administrative questions thus circumventing the need for democratic sanction (the general will).
>>23432630
a non-entity. catholicism and especially political catholicism will be dead by the end of this century

>> No.23432660
File: 268 KB, 560x373, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432325

>> No.23432663
File: 38 KB, 1000x1000, U12a1g6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432657
>a non-entity. catholicism and especially political catholicism will be dead by the end of this century

>> No.23432683

>>23432663
I was raised Catholic in a Catholic country with a strong tradition of political Catholicism so it's not like I'll cheer for the demise of Catholicism but it's plain to see that it's inevitable. the demographic center of gravity of Catholicism is shifting toward African and certain Asian countries like Indonesia and I don't mean to be racist but I don't think they will be able to internalize Catholicism as well as European countries did. your le funny balls comic strip proves only that we're witnessing the beginning of the end rather than the middle or the end of the end where we still delude ourselves into thinking that we can exonerate historical processes and even that the process itself isn't in full operation

>> No.23432686

>>23432325
I can picture some kind of alternative of continuation of liberal democracy, let's call it simulatocracy.

Society is driven by an Ai archmogul that explore any single alternative via super high fidelity simulations. You're free of course to protest, and in fact you'll be invited to partake in the simulation program. You will be able to have your bolshevik revolution but like, in minecraft, live it fully, get desillusioned, and come to your sense.

>"Good boy", though the AI to itself.

>> No.23432695

>>23432325
The idea that America elected Trump and rioted for BLM because it was bored is actually very plausible.

>> No.23432698

>>23432630
Just in general, Fukuyama's weakness is religion and spirituality. You can even see it in the essay excerpt in the OP. "Freedom and equality," these are material conditions. Of course Fukuyama, a good student of both Hegel and Marx, tends to view the world in terms of material dialectic, and thinks of the world in largely material terms. It's not surprising therefore that it escapes him that man's needs extend beyond the material, and that man might be motivated by something that material conditions can't address. He doesn't seem to have room in his imagination for the idea that someone could reject liberal democracy in the name of God.

>> No.23432709

>>23432698
Muslims are the only ones that do and they're so weak that they're letting Palestinians get slaughtered in the name of liberal freedom

>> No.23432832

>>23432325
>They will struggle, in other words, out of a certain boredom: for they cannot imagine living in a world without struggle. And if the greater part of the world in which they live is characterized by peaceful and prosperous liberal democracy, they then will struggle against that peace and prosperity, and against democracy.
The government will lock you in your home for 2 years over a disease that has a 2% fatality rate in people over 80 and to compensate for it they'll print trillions of dollars doubling the cost of necessary goods, but your wage will not go up in kind and also you'll never own a home and if you fight against this it's because you just hate peace, prosperity and democracy.

>> No.23432893

>>23432683
Quality > Quantity
One litbro catholic is worth many lukewarms.

>> No.23433183

>>23432325
awaiting part 2

>> No.23433655

>>23432695
I think this too. I mean I feel most political tensions (except mass immigration) today are laughably trivial.

>> No.23433695
File: 16 KB, 531x199, worldstate.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yes, the end of history is to make enough people stop competing for more. That's the entire purpose of historical progress AND the ceasing of historical events.

>> No.23433728

In terms of "material progress of humanity" then we are at, or near, the end of history. I know the midwit snippets you’ve been exposed to on TV and Twitter make it sound like you can safely ridicule that statement — but they’re lying to you and you want to be lied to because it feels better that way.
1. We’re near the end of our tech tree. There will be no more breakthroughs in physics and our engineering is entering diminishing returns territory. Biology and medicine is still progressing but we have all the fundamentals down. True AI is turning out to be infeasible and if it can happen in the far future they’re going to be no better than human intelligence.
2. Human civilization has already peaked and is on the down-swing. High-IQ populations which made the progress in point #1 are going away and taking the social system which made it possible with them. The planet is done, sorry, we’re not moving above this point. We will not genetically engineer humanity into 200-IQ long-lived ubersmench.
3. Because of points #1 and #2 there’s no colonization of space. Technology will never progress far enough to make it economically feasible and civilization will never rise to the level at which it becomes politically feasible.

>> No.23433744
File: 56 KB, 1085x701, 1687335994836.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23433728
>he doesn't know

>> No.23433791

Also, after the Gulf War the U.S. was officially raised to world hegemon — not a meme term, but a real classification in foreign policy academia: Hegemonic Stability Theory. The hegemon enforces a world order / system of rules that all other nations must follow due to the overwhelming military power of the hegemon. What the U.S. did to Iraq wasn’t just textbook "modern warfare" by a superpower — but "overwhelming warfare" by a the world hegemon. Only the U.S. could possibly do anything like Iraq. If you were an adult living in Pax Americana officially established in the 90s it really did seem like liberal democracy was the be-all end-all of any realistic civilization. But, starting around 2010 or a little before the U.S. has been gradually leaving the role of hegemon and has accelerated the exit a lot over the last several years until Pax Americana is close to being finished. The military power is still overwhelming in theory but it’s also diminished greatly for various reasons. Things which would have been silly to imagine 20 years ago are now normal. Things are changing, and the big peasant kingdoms are making big moves and no one feels self-assured about the future anymore.

>> No.23433809

>>23433744
mh317 guy ?

>> No.23433834

It's like Rome and their kings all over again.

>> No.23433838

>>23432325
The biggest issue imo with democratic theory, and Fukuyma, is the concept of "the people", which is the cornerstone of the concept of democracy. Who are "the people"? Do the people as a whole really have a cohesive whole, what about in a society of 1 billion? Can 1 billion people really be said to share a singular will?
It seems far closer to the truth that I'm any system some people rule, usually a small number, while the vast majority have little to no power.
Thinking along these lines the question to ask is not "what is superior to democracy", but what really is democracy, does the ideal ever exist even proxima tell in reality?

>> No.23433843

>>23433838
*Proximately

>> No.23433978

>>23433838
Fukuyama's case for liberalism is compelling and I honestly agree on many things. His interpretation of thymos as an inherent human desire for recognition, pride and individuality is accurate and liberalism indeed answers it hence its popularity. Liberal tendencies are widespread even in illiberal countries because humans in the modern world just naturally liberalize to an extent.

What isn't compelling is his case for democracy. You can argue liberalism is a manifestation of innate human behaviors but democracy absolutely is not. His ideal democratic citizen who rationally participates in society and sees himself as an equal to everyone is utter nonsense. Democracy has always been an unpopular system and that it has become so powerful today is an aberration. It barely took 50 years for democracies to throw in the towel and realize it's a fake system. Liberal democracies don't have intelligent, rational masses. They herds of cattle who consume slop all day and can't be trusted to make smart decisions alongside the elites. Fukuyama is well aware of this but is too pussy to admit it, so him and all the other liberal elites just blame Trump for ruining democracy while refusing to confront the fact that most of this country will voluntarily vote for him

>> No.23434003

>>23433978
Fukuyama and every other liberal supports using liberal democracy to engineer a society of powerless idiotic cattle and then bitches and whines when these masses make the choices that he dislikes at the voting booth. This automatically invalidates any argument for democracy, honestly. The people who run democracies and argue for it are just irrefutably wrong.

>> No.23434021

Liberalism will not survive the downfall of the United States. It's merely propped up by American hegemony; it is bullets and bombs, not an innate desire for personal liberty, that makes liberalism the current standard of the world. If America balkanizes, or transforms itself into a fascist or monarchial state, liberal democracy will have no meaningful defenders as a system and will falter as a result.

Political philosophy is always downstream of the capacity for violence.

>> No.23434022

>>23433978
>liberal elites just blame Trump for ruining democracy while refusing to confront the fact that most of this country will voluntarily vote for him
That's one of the strangest facets of current day liberals, this simultaneous elitism while purporting to defend a system based in the will of the people.
This leads to incoherence when they simultaneously portray themselves as brave defenders of democracy abroad, while decrying populism at home. They want the will of the people on their own terms, so long as that will appears politically correct and aligned with the opinion of experts. Functionally what they want is aristocracy but need to give lip service to the idea that the people run things, so that the people remain placated

>> No.23434055
File: 650 KB, 3068x2034, nintchdbpict000326651567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23434022
>Functionally what they want is aristocracy but need to give lip service to the idea that the people run things, so that the people remain placated
That it what liberalism is intended to be and they don't shy away from saying it in their books. They're paranoid today because the façade is ending and everyone can see how fake it is, so they're counting on the fact that the masses will still be too fat and retarded to fight for serious change or a different system even if they do become disillusioned.

>> No.23434064

>>23432893
Fewer Catholics means less money, which is the point of the Catholic Church since its founding.

>> No.23434070

>>23432893
The Catholic Church is the eptiome of "lukewarm". Most Catholics aren't even willing to say that homosexuality is a sin anymore.

>> No.23434071

>>23432709
Muslims and communists are the only ones that are really a threat to liberalism today and they're not very good at it. Progressives are a defense mechanism for liberalism so they're not a threat unlike what dipshit conservative morons say, they're just pissed that the society they built has inevitably produced such people and such horrible social trends. Oh well. Don't blame neo-Marxism for it, it's liberalism at fault. They get educated at your universities and run your institutions because it's your liberalism that drove them.

>> No.23434175

>>23432683
>the demographic center of gravity of Catholicism is shifting toward African and certain Asian countries
That's Christianity as a whole. Western Christians are lame as fuck. Completely uninspiring. It's almost ridiculous they expect you to believe they have anything to do with the based martyrs of ages past. Meanwhile, in the Central African Republic, Christians are fighting the Saracens village by village:
>The Anti-balaka is an alliance of militia groups based in the Central African Republic in the early 21st century said to be composed primarily of Christians
>This militia formed in the Central African Republic after the rise to power of Michel Djotodia in 2013.[7] Amnesty International reported in 2015 that some members of anti-balaka groups have forcibly converted Muslims to Christianity.[8] Anti-balaka groups have also kidnapped, burnt, and immured women accused of being witches in public ceremonies.
Hell, even Jews and Muslims are feeling the pinch. I've heard countless rabbis worry about more and more kids going goy. I've seen Muslim preachers claim they don't even get hate anymore, they're just ignored.
Religion is all but dead in the West, period. It's a glorified hobby, a time waster.

>> No.23434188

>>23434175
>That's Christianity as a whole. Western Christians are lame as fuck. Completely uninspiring.
Christianity requires suffering. It isn't conducive to luxurious Western lifestyles.

>> No.23434247
File: 534 KB, 640x636, 1684902837825681.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432709
My long-term politicial goal is the downfall of the United States precisely because I am Catholic. I've become convinced that the US government is an enemy of the Church and that my religion would be better off if America as we know it ceased to exist. This is why I am an active supporter of the chaos and dysfunction that has gripped the United States government and have done my part, in ways small and large, to exacerbate it: because I believe there is a growing chance that America will simply be broken beyond all hope of repair, and this will be a net positive for my Church.

>> No.23434280

>>23432325
I agree with him that all neoreactionary movements against liberalism and neoliberalism are just as bad as, often far worse than, these orders.
But liberalism and neoliberalism representing "progress?" I suppose it would depend on who's being asked. Let's ask the Polynesians, who had their culture desecrated, their tribal bonds demolished, and their islands turned into a tourist attraction for bourgeoisie foreigners. Let's ask the entire continent of Africa. Let's ask the Chinese live-and-die workers in gigafactories, born, raised, married off and retired all within the confines of one building.
Let's ask the multitude of humanity who've had their localized perspective eviscerated and replaced with nothing but hard labor at diminished rates of sustenance through diminished rates of pay. Let's ask them whether they felt more "at home" and more valued when they were members of their communities, their tribes, their kin, their spiritual systems, and held some rank there, whether it's better now that they are on the Chandala rung of a system that values their right to life by the metric of the almighty Dollar.
We don't ask them because they are simply pests and roaches, we ask ourselves, and when we look down at our fat stomachs we say, surely, there is no other Heaven on Earth!!!
Ridiculous.

>> No.23434337

>>23434280
>I agree with him that all neoreactionary movements against liberalism and neoliberalism are just as bad as, often far worse than, these orders.

The commies had their shot. As Fukuyama himself documents, they failed. The dissolution of the Soviet Union was the endgame of any meaningful attempt to challenge neoliberalism from the Left. Now it's the Right's turn.

>> No.23434350

>>23432325

https://www.allianceofdemocracies.org/democracy-perception-index/

Democracy Perception Index (DPI) came out recently and once again China tops the list for the level of satisfaction within their population, while the US is near the bottom. I wonder what Fukuyama has to say about that.

>> No.23434369

>>23434337
The right is just a furthering of everything that makes neoliberalism and liberalism so savage and horrible. Mark my words: you will do immense damage to your, my, our world, before you inevitably fail; if, and it's a big if, if you even get the opportunity.
The communists failed for the same reason. A matter of prioritizing the wrong axiomatic causes.

>> No.23434372

>>23434369
>you will do immense damage to your, my, our world, before you inevitably fail
Fine by me

>> No.23434376

>>23434372
At least you're honest in your intent: nothing more than aimless vengeance
Don't worry. You're far from alone. Sad as it is to say

>> No.23434380
File: 109 KB, 500x500, children-3036.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

we have the American government out here whining about china being better at capitalism then them because they are flooding the market with cheap shit.

face it fukyama fags, your end of history lasted 30 years at best, now we enter the multipolar world

>lost to the taliban
>losing in ukraine
>lost in syria
>losing to china

LOSER, BABY WANT A BOTTLE, A BIG DIRT BOTTLE!

>> No.23434382

>>23434376
I prefer chaos to stagnation, personally.

>> No.23434394

>>23434382
There is only chaos, nothing is ever stagnant. Don't lie to yourself about yourself. What you're fantasizing of isn't mere chaos. It's vengeance

>> No.23434403

>>23434380
>lost to the taliban
Still a totally useless organization
>losing in ukraine
True, Russia is a still a dogshit country
>lost in Syria
Country is totally irreparably destroyed with a corrupt ruling family
>lost to China
China barely competes with liberalism and minds its own socialist business
>Iran
Will collapse in 20 years

Looks to me like no one is even trying to overtake liberalism.

>> No.23434405

>>23434403
How much copium do you inhale on a nightly basis to keep this up?

>> No.23434414

>>23434403
once china takes taiwan that will be americas suez canal moment, it will be over. then china can move on from crapitlism and embrace the next stage of socialism

>> No.23435242

>>23433809
No, a dude on Fark way long ago who may or may not have gotten scooped up by the DIA for talking about shit he wasn't supposed to. Supposedly there were more posts that got shoah'd from the internet with further details. The name was Tom Bedlam or Erewhon.

>> No.23435967

>>23432325
Fukuyama really likes to ignore the elephant in the room with Israel. It totally refutes the liberal world order. It's a complete liability and the West is willfully sacrificing its legitimacy just to protect it.

>> No.23435980
File: 69 KB, 800x450, FrancisFukuyama-800x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432325
Based

>> No.23436017
File: 40 KB, 700x500, a0735e40-19f5-11ec-aa9d-3d93ad7a56b1-standard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23434414
That's going to fix their housing bubble?

>> No.23436019 [DELETED] 

>>23435967
https://www.tabletmag.com/sections/news/articles/live-law-die-cross-israel
Behold everyone: the single most important asset to liberal democracy. Can't imagine why people today are losing faith in it!

>Instead of threatening Jews with arrest for praying on the Temple Mount, we should take a hint from the “Al-Aqsa” moniker our attackers gave to their day of savage invasion and let Cohens up there on the hill to slaughter lambs for Passover.

>And above all—given that land is nearly all that matters to this death-worshipping foe—instead of repeatedly withdrawing troops from areas we have just taken over so we can deny having unchristian territorial ambitions, we should conquer, annex, and resettle parts of Gaza...

>> No.23436216

>>23436017
according to your chart, their housing bubble topped and crashed more than five years ago without affecting their economy

maybe we should worry more about the American housing bubble and stock market bubble that could pop any day now and what will they do this time? print more money and make more inflation? except this time it turns into stagflation. not a pretty scenario

>> No.23436252

>>23434021
Yeah that's why they try (and often succeed) to overthrow any leftist that manages to be elected around the world to install rightoid comprador puppets, the idea that the US props up liberal democracy is beyond laughable

>> No.23436404

>>23432325
>The “last man” is a creature without pride or striving to be something better, content with petty pleasures and material well-being
Has anyone noticed or wrote about the simple fact that this truly is the pinnacle of human experience and that basically anything beyond that is utterly meaningless and discredited?

>> No.23436509

>>23433728
AI sticks out especially. It's unreal how overhyped it is. There's a reason why sentient artificial intelligence is stuff in science fiction movies. There's no reason to believe AI will even develop beyond automation and language models driven by human training but faggots like Sam Altman want you believe that the future is Skynet and that's a good thing

>> No.23436539
File: 1.95 MB, 1426x1069, Democracy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23433838

>> No.23436545

>>23432325
USA went from defeating the Soviet Union to becoming a gay version of it

>> No.23436568

>>23433728
It's really depressing to be born into an era where it looked like we would reach peak prosperity and technological progress only to see all your hope get crushed

>> No.23436579

>>23434175
>Religion is all but dead in the West
It just got replaced by the religion of progress

>> No.23436587

>>23435967
He's a good goy and puppet of the regime
He also completely ignores the issue of birth rates and how all liberal countries have dying population

>> No.23436615

>>23433655
That is because the masses in Western are still relatively well off. But economic stagnation has already been replaced by economic decline, it's just that the proles don't realize what that means.

>>23436509
[Current thing] is always a grift to make those in power more wealthy, and we're on a grift powered economy for some time now.

>> No.23436618

>>23436587
>He also completely ignores the issue of birth rates and how all liberal countries have dying population
No he doesn't, read his latest book.

>> No.23436631

>>23436579
>religion of progress

Not if progress comes from China.

It's more like religion of "we're the best so buy our shit"

>> No.23436632

this guy should not have been taken seriously after the post 9/11 wars.
I don't even think he takes his "end of history" thesis seriously anymore.
Only reason its still relevant is because they still go through it in International relations courses in universities ...... as a historical artifact.

>> No.23436646

>>23436618
>read his latest book.
Which one?

>> No.23436664

>>23433791
>for various reasons
Concession accepted, thirdie.

>> No.23436673

>>23434380
Afghanistan and Ukraine are killzones, Syria is a heap of rubble, and China is a concentration camp. USA doing just fine.

>> No.23436678

>>23436673
Cope

>> No.23436681

>>23436678
Whatever thirdlet

>> No.23436685

>>23434247
Of course it would be. You are Ellis island trash, back to Europe with you!

>> No.23436687

>>23436681
Your country is becoming third world lol

>> No.23436688

>>23436687
Your mom is third world

>> No.23436802

>>23436646
Liberalism and Its Discontents (it's not very good)

>> No.23436826

>>23432325
Anarcho-capitalism is the clear next step after liberalism but it will be shitty and corporations will try to fuck us over as much as governments do currently. They just won't be able to get away with it as much because of the free market.

>> No.23436829

>>23436826
Free market is an illusion

>> No.23437216
File: 164 KB, 2499x376, 012396023406734.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432325

>> No.23437311

>>23437216
it's the bourgeois who created their republics and so they can do whatever they want with them.
And bourgeois have no competition and even better no matter how bad they fuck up, they know they have a cushion in the form of the population who will pay for their mistakes

>> No.23437483

>>23437216
The elite is driven by spite and completely disconnected from the common people

>> No.23437494

>>23437216
Anyone who still thinks our elite is just incompetent and does not actively hate its own population is just coping

>> No.23437579

>>23432325
That's a slick lil shuck n' jive, Frank. Respect where it's due though, libs ate this up

>> No.23437623

>>23437311
>bourgeois who created their republics
Not the dysgenic freaks who are currently in power

>> No.23437677

I don't understand the point of those discussions. The nuberals are the first to admit they will wallow in their petty millenarist triumphalism no matter the real situation.

>>23436826
That's the optimistic but and unfortunately unlikely.
People are hooked on leftoism and gibs. We went from 5% to 50% of total spending being public spending over a bit more than a century. The end trajectory is to reach 100% (or more with endless denbts). Just the gay road towards communism.

>> No.23437685

>>23437677
I think automation is really the biggest rupture and variable and the politics don't really matter or surmount that issue, left or right. These arguments and conflicts seem like useless theater for the plebs.
Like, whether you're a full on communist or a free market zealot, how would that confront exponentially improving AI?

>> No.23437783

>>23437685
AI is a bubble and they are actively dumbing it down

>> No.23437785

>>23437677
And yet I still have to work a full time job to be able to afford even a tiny fucking room and basic food. When do I get that for free so I can start living?

>> No.23437788

>>23432325
Communism and fascism are both failures, and none of the west's modern authoritarian competitors (e.g., China, Russia) provide a viable and stable alternative. But liberal democracies can vary quite a bit in terms of economic and domestic policy, and liberal democracy is not incompatible with nationalism, even of the ethnic variety. The west is also in a period of crisis, and I suspect in the not too distant future there will be a general collapse, at which point certain western nations will be ruled by something like a military dictatorship while others balkanize and split up into smaller nations. Demographic collapse, mass immigration, especially mass third world immigration, climate change, automation, mass unemployment, ever increasing cultural divisions between the educated and uneducated ("woke" vs. non-"woke"), similarly widening income inequality, as well as broad ethnic and political strife and unrest will all be contributing factors. The system that succeeds liberal democracy will not be better and probably eventually transition back to a less delusional version of it, but the particular system Fukuyama favors, in which someone like Trump or Orban is considered a "fascist" threat to its very existence, is not long for this world, and the neo-neo-liberalism of the future will look quite different than it does today.

>> No.23437798
File: 106 KB, 886x878, 1695994595689679.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23437216
The answer is all three.

>> No.23437800

>>23432325
>In the “old age of mankind,” all the possible alternatives to liberal democracy have been tried
I don't agree with this; take a look at Held's "Non-Contractual Society", I don't think that's been tried.

>> No.23437831

>>23437788
The civilization cycle is unbreakable
Spengler will be proven right again

>> No.23437875 [DELETED] 

>>23434021
The dollar is the only thing that keeps liberalism in power and once hyper inflation hits it will be over. It's inebriable at this point

>> No.23437891

>>23434021
The dollar is the only thing that keeps liberalism in power and once hyper inflation hits it will be over. It's inevitable at this point.

>> No.23438296

>>23437788
>liberal democracy is not incompatible with nationalism
Israel sure tries it. There’s a reason so many western conservatives champion it as their ideal state. It’s equal parts militarism, ethnic supremacy, and faggotry

>> No.23438695

>>23432325
He's right.

>> No.23438891

>>23438695
Do you enjoy licking boots?

>> No.23438970

Literally no one is happy with the current system except for the boomers who have siphoned the wealth from at least 4 generations, I will be really surprised if there's not a massive system change before they die off.

>> No.23439973

>>23438970

>> No.23439989

>>23438970
Nobody is gonna do shit about it

>> No.23439999

>>23438970
I mean you know you're going to inherit it when they die lmfao so what's the problem?

>> No.23440261

>>23432325
Japan will meet another recession. There is no such thing as economic growth according to the law of thermodynamics.

>> No.23440443

>>23435242
Anon, you're never going to find someone who cares or even knows enough to care outside /k/.

>> No.23440475

>>23434021
Literally the only reason that the post 1945 “rules based” order still exists is because the US bombs the shit out of anyone that dares go against it. The liberal order is maintained through blood and violence even though it claims to be maintaining civility, rules, and peace.

>> No.23440484

>>23436545
We always were.

>> No.23440736

>>23439989
When people can't afford to live things will quickly change

>>23439999
There is nothing to inherit except debt lmao

>> No.23440746
File: 234 KB, 1529x627, 1689451953806722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOO THE FREE-MASONIC REPUBLIC SI DYING E HAVE TO SAVE IT AND KEEP THE FREEMASONS AS OUR OVERLORD.

>> No.23442258
File: 342 KB, 1680x1050, httpsengelsbergideas.comwp-conte.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23437831
>Spengler will be proven right again

Spengler is absolutely right. Does Fukuyama ever address him, or the general idea that human history moves in cycles and civilizations have lifespans?

>> No.23444109

>>23440746
You’ll never be brown, Kyle.

>> No.23444111

>>23437494
Wasn’t always the case

>> No.23444123

>>23432325
>"What is striking about contemporary democratic backsliding is that few of those people expressing discontent with liberal democracy are able to articulate a clear vision of an alternative social system that is systemically superior."
>Wages war from the 1950s to modern days against anything that is even slightly different from "liberal" democracy
>Sanctions everyone else and cripples any other "non liberal" economy to death
>Constantly fucks with "non liberal" governments by funding and arming rebel armies, meddling with elections, etc.
>When the above is not sufficient, tramples every opposing thought with the mightiest military apparatus known to man
>there's no alternative social system

>> No.23444293

>>23436404
Laozi

Kind of

>> No.23444298

>>23436631
China can be ur angle or ur devil bbgurl

>> No.23444303

>>23436826
Anarchism will result in the rule of the strong (although not necessarily physical strength)

>> No.23444455

>>23434070
Most Catholics aren't even against divorce or extramarital sex much less homosexuality

>> No.23444693

>>23444455
The catholics have been cucked for years since they stopped believing men should stop having authority over women

>> No.23445436

>>23444123
This. America needs to be killed so history can start back up again. Every single educated person should be rooting for the downfall of the United States, and even helping to actively bring it about, as much as they can within their own limited powers.

>> No.23445460

Why is this Chink Chonk being taken seriously again in his shizo ramblings about the West? I just don't get it.

>> No.23445502

>>23444123
And how come it's so powerful that it *can* disrupt anyone's economy by sanctions and trample them with "the mightiest military apparatus known to man"?
The point is not that there are no conceivable other systems, but that trying to do shit better inevitably leads to liberal democracy.

>> No.23445514

>>23445436
A younger version of myself would have disagreed and said that the American world order is worth preserving for the relative peace and prosperity it brought. But over time, I've become more and more convinced that peace is a social problem. The return of conflict is necessary to keep people real.
Freezing the world in 1991 is just as nonsensical as attempting to freeze Europe in 1815. Something will give eventually.

>> No.23445516

>>23444123
If other systems were any good, liberal democracy wouldn't be able to dominate them.

>> No.23445552

>>23445516
"people" who mutter this have no appreciation for the concept of momentum, liberal democracy still persists largely due to the western imperialistic illiberal systems and their fitness that, by exploiting extremely highly energetic resources from multiple continents including multiple essentially virgin ones, allowed the western hegemony to take place and set its foundation, which the liberal order merely vampirizes
the "liberal" is like the spoiled second or third generation brat of an old successful businessman who thinks throwing grandpa's money at any one of his problems is the same as character and skills and will last forever

>> No.23446184
File: 54 KB, 666x666, a64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The American led liberal international order will implode from coming cybernetic, bioengineering, & AI revolutions merging with the already existing international plutocracy and American national security state. The following order will be a totalitarian cybernetic-caste state system that will have the tools to monitor, track, crack, and control the masses while enshrining the power of an untouchable cabal of globalist transhumanists. Even Fukuyama has written on how transhumanism will undue everything we know today. Even if America falls and ushers in Pax Sinica, China already is far along this path as well.

>> No.23446248

>>23445502
You actually think sanctions work lol

>> No.23446719

>>23445552
I don’t blame the elites for liberalism persisting I blame the fat retarded herd cattle populace of the world that doesn’t desire anything for the world beyond TikTok and McDonald’s after work

>> No.23447351

Liberal theory always feels like reading bootlickers do mental gymnastics to justify the regime of their masters rather than reading somebody deal with politics in a realistic, descriptive, non-normative, non-moral way. A sentence of Hobbes or Schmitt is worth more than the entire oeuvre of some of these guys.

>> No.23447689

/// Boyd qualified his opinion, noting that the evidence could be interpreted in other ways /// There is usually a period of shakedown with new technology /// Sit down and have some lunch, then go round and do the glad-handing afterwards /// If you need help, just call on Mike. He can come at the drop of a hat /// That rinky-dink shelf is likely to collapse if you fill it with books /// James Addison Baker was the consummate master at actually getting things done in Washington /// I could hear the champagne fizz as he poured it into my glass /// In all human affairs, there is virtue in a successor's not being a precise simulacrum of the predecessor whom he or she follows /// The country's criminal and civil courts were creaking at the seams in spite of efforts to shore them up /// The boat was hit by a squall north of the island /// This is a draft manuscript waiting for an editor to impose coherence and to smooth over mangled grammar, malapropisms and political oversimplifications /// Children who expect a supportive response to their emotional displays are more likely to express emotion, whereas children who expect a negative interpersonal response report dissembling emotional expression /// People left so much food on their plates and crumpled a few dollar bills down, as though it were an offering, expiation for the wasted food /// The most erudite people in medical research attended the conference /// In issue two, Chang wanders around gibbering like a raw-meat lunatic /// Hope you got enough poontang to last you till next time /// Companies blame the economy for the lay offs, while workers chalk it up to bad management /// He was reeling a little. He must be very drunk /// Two new natural-gas plants should help slake the country's demand for power /// Roses climbed the trellises /// In 37 years with British Rail, I saw how station staff always bore the brunt of public anger over fare rises /// He's constantly switching up his cadence and his delivery /// I opened the gate, and was immediately set on by a large dog /// We were tucked away in a secluded corner of the room /// What you've got to do is to pal up with the fellows; then they'll stick to you /// You should do the math for your project rather than accept someone else's fuzzy accounting /// Next in line would be his surviving siblings, and the progeny of any deceased siblings /// Muttering under my breath, I chose a pair of russet trousers, a cream poloneck angora and lambswool jumper and a tweedy jacket /// The chits are drawn sequentially to determine the current order of play /// He was battered unconscious /// Docks are like open parking lots, whereas a slip is equal to a dedicated space /// It really bummed me out that she could have helped and didn't /// Local hospital closures are deeply emotive /// After the last election, the Republican Party tried to bring former conservatives back into the fold ///

>> No.23447696

>>23447689
Why do you type like this

>> No.23447750
File: 380 KB, 862x589, ksnip_20240602-140257.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23432325
man, now i get what stephen gillmurphy was making fun of, thanks fukuyama you fucking idiot